Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updated Starting Out Guide for Motorcyclists (20/10/2013)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Just wanted to thank the lads here for the advice. Managed to get the IBT progression module done before my test date and thankfully passed the test on Monday gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just a heads up to the newbies regarding the hot weather...People/drivers do silly things in this weather...most wear shades so theyre vision can be reduced by dark lenses and frames, much like car door pillars.....
    When your filtering in traffic they can be tempted to just fling open a door to remove articles of clothing,nappies, jackets/jumpers/bras etc......
    Watch out for adults/kids body parts or even toys/food suddenly appearing out of a opened window...
    Hot and bothered drivers will sometimes resent your progress and try to halt you...take your time and give them a wave when you pass....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Also remember for when it does eventually rain again - the first rain after a dry spell can be as bad as ice for the built up grease on the road, especially if it's only light enough to loosen it and not wash it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Any recommendations for the IBT in Waterford?
    Would need to supply a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

Hi all,

Might be a silly question, but do you need to have someone with you at your test? I.e. the instructor you did your IBT with? And is there any emphasis that you should use the same instructor from the IBT to do the pretest bits with?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

The IBT instructor will not be with you during your test. The RSA person conducting the test will be and they will most likely follow you in their own car.

If you are happy with the IBT instructor then do a pre-test with them, they should know the actual test route that the RSA person will take you on.

If you get a pre-test before your main test the IBT may be sound enough to wait around for you to finish and congratulate you on passing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭retro d

Hi , I bought a Honda cb 750 1985 for very small money , the bike is spotless and running perfect and roadworthy, i can ride a bike but I don’t have Licence anymore it was 24 years since I had a Licence I’m 45 yrs old , I know the procedure, theory test , learner permit , ibt training , and driving test , how long will it take to do all this and assuming I pass all the tests , what’s the minimum time I will be on the road , Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

retro d wrote: »
    Hi , I bought a Honda cb 750 1985 for very small money , the bike is spotless and running perfect and roadworthy, i can ride a bike but I don’t have Licence anymore it was 24 years since I had a Licence I’m 45 yrs old , I know the procedure, theory test , learner permit , ibt training , and driving test , how long will it take to do all this and assuming I pass all the tests , what’s the minimum time I will be on the road , Thanks
    It depends on availability. You can go online now and book the theory test. When will depend on where you can get to and when they have a slot.

The IBT instructor will probably only take a booking once you have the theory test. Again it will depend on availability. If you can do weekdays you might get it quicker.

Then straight to get your licence... 5-10 days from application to getting (assuming all the details are correct). Once you have that you can get insurance over the phone and ride straight away.

*you need to have the learner permit 6 months before you can sit the test. But you can (and should) be riding for these 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭retro d

Cian_ok wrote: »
    It depends on availability. You can go online now and book the theory test. When will depend on where you can get to and when they have a slot.

The IBT instructor will probably only take a booking once you have the theory test. Again it will depend on availability. If you can do weekdays you might get it quicker.

Then straight to get your licence... 5-10 days from application to getting (assuming all the details are correct). Once you have that you can get insurance over the phone and ride straight away.

*you need to have the learner permit 6 months before you can sit the test. But you can (and should) be riding for these 6 months.
    Thanks Cian_ok appreciate that , that’s great news I can ride my motorcycle with the learner permit , and then do the test after 6 months , Thank you Cian_ok you have made it very clear and extremely helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭C14N

Hey all, I just have a quick question about getting a motorbike license. I've had a full B license since 2014 but never had any sort of A license or any experience with them.

My question is, if I want to start applying for an A2 or A license now, do I need to start completely from scratch? Do I need to sit a theory test again and get a new Learner Permit for this?

And if so, then once I have the learner permit, do I still need the 6 month waiting period before I can actually take the test?

Basically, does having a full B license get you diddly squat in terms of progress for applying for an A license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭enrique66_35

Short answer - no, the only advantage to holding a full B licence is that you won't have to wear the N vest/tabard when you get your full A licence. You will most likely have to start from scratch - theory test -> learner permit -> IBT and then you can ride unaccompanied but must wait six months (from date of issue of learner permit) to apply for a test.

The only concession is if you did your theory test for the car before 2006 (I think!) when the car and bike tests were still all one and then you are exempt from doing it again for the A licence but I would recommend contacting the RSA to have that confirmed before going to the NDLS with your learner permit application.

When the time comes you can make appointments with the NDLS office so you can just show up five minutes before and be called right away otherwise you take a number in the queue and the wait time can be significant if its really busy.

Best of luck with it, I'm only at the post IBT riding alone stage and it's all been well worth the effort!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

C14N wrote: »
    Hey all, I just have a quick question about getting a motorbike license. I've had a full B license since 2014 but never had any sort of A license or any experience with them.

My question is, if I want to start applying for an A2 or A license now, do I need to start completely from scratch? Do I need to sit a theory test again and get a new Learner Permit for this?

And if so, then once I have the learner permit, do I still need the 6 month waiting period before I can actually take the test?

Basically, does having a full B license get you diddly squat in terms of progress for applying for an A license?

When did you do your last theory test?

Yes, you still need to complete the ibt and wait 6 months to do the full test.

The only benefit of having a full B since 2014 is you won't have to wear an N plate after passing the test, you'd still be on L plates before this though. Bear in mind, driving a car and riding a bike are very different, for starters, you can't fall off a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭C14N

I think I did my theory test in 2012 so I guess I'm out of luck. At least I won't get the N plates though, I suppose that's something. Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

This is my situation.. I’m thinking of buying a 125cc bike but basically to be a fair weather rider. I am 61 and have full car licence since 1977.
    What will I need to do?
    Ibt > learner permit which lasts 2 years? > display L plates front and rear? Wear tabard?
    Is ibt only done by private companies?
    Any recommendations for insurance company?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

lipso wrote: »
    This is my situation.. I’m thinking of buying a 125cc bike but basically to be a fair weather rider. I am 61 and have full car licence since 1977.
    What will I need to do?
    Ibt > learner permit which lasts 2 years? > display L plates front and rear? Wear tabard?
    Is ibt only done by private companies?
    Any recommendations for insurance company?

Dont buy any bike before you get your learner permit and ibt in order first.
    www.theorytest.ie
    www.ndls.ie

ibt is done by rsa approved ibt instructors
    https://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/

Principal ins
    Carole Nash Ins
    AXA
    Liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Steve012

Post will probably be taken down, I'm a biker for 25 years. Folks, watch women drivers make sure they see you at junctions and corners, Hospitalized twice from women drivers "who actually actually SAW me!! and forgot" and then turned.

Two identical accidents, last one was after 18 years on the streets of Dublin. I couldn't avoid the accidents broke hard was all I could do, last accident left me in a wheelchair for 2 months.

Be careful out there peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Roadskill wrote: »
    Motorcycles (Categories AM, A1, A2 & A)

As we all should know by now with a motorcycle learner permit things are somewhat different since December 6th 2010 when Initial Basic Training was introduced. Things then changed again in January 2013

New licencing laws for motorcyclists as of 19th January 2013.
    you can read them by clicking each link below
    New Licence Laws
    Chart for Progressive and Direct Access for Motorcyclists
    Description of Licence Categories From 19th January 2013
    RSA Initial Basic Training information Booklet

The process is as follows
    1. Theory Test
    2. Get Learner Permit
    3. Do your IBT
    4. After 6 months do test

If you previously held a learner permit which has gone out of date by more than 5 years you will need to start from scratch as a complete noobie.
    If you have held an old provisional licence from pre December 1999 without letting it lapse for more than a 5 year gap then you are exempt from any IBT and can apply for the full motorcycle test if you wish. (There are only around 80 of these left in Ireland)

Once you pass the theory test (Apply HERE) you will need to apply for a learner permit. This only entitles you to ride on the road with a qualified motorcycle IBT instructor until you have completed your Initial Basic Training.
    Apply for your permit at www.ndls.ie

Please note:
    Until Friday 25th October 2013, you may continue to apply for your driving licence or learner permit as normal at your local Motor Tax office. From Tuesday 29th October 2013, the application process will change and applications must be made in any one of the NDLS centres nationwide.

You cannot start your ibt without having the correct learner permit with you. The receipt is not good enough as it is only a receipt not your permit.
    Note:
    All first time learner permit holders (code 991) are subject to the 6 month rule. This is how long you must wait from the date of issue before you can take your full test in that category

IBT is a 16 or 18 hour training course which you must pass before being allowed on the road without an instructor.
    There are 4 modules to complete in the IBT syllabus for categories AM & A1. If you are moving up to a different learner permit for example an A1 to an A2, A2 to A or an automatic bike to a geared bike you must complete a module 5 conversion course on that type of machine.
    If you are already of age for category A2 or A (Unrestricted) learner permit then you can do a Direct Access IBT course of modules 1,3 & 5 (18 hrs)
    Your IBT instructor must be satisfied that you are not a danger to yourself or other road users and you can control your motorcycle correctly before signing off your licence.
    You can read the course syllabus Here

If you hold a full licence for category A1 or A2 for at least 2 years then you can progress up to the next category without the need to be tested again or waiting 6 months as follows.

A1 to A2
    Aquire A2 lp then ibt modules 1, 3 & 5 if no previous ibt completed or progression module 5 if ibt completed previously. You can then apply for a full A2 licence.
    A2 to A
    Aquire A lp then as above.

This option can only be taken once either from A1 to A2 or from A2 to A.

1. AM Learner Permit
    Minimum 16 y/o. Two-wheeled mechanically propelled vehicle of 50cc or less (4kW for an electric motor) and with maximum speed of between 25km/h and 45 km/h.

2. A1 learner permit.
    Minimum 16 y/o you are allowed to ride a motorcycle or scooter up the size of 125cc and no more that 11kw (14.7 bhp) and less than .1 kw per kg

3. A2 learner permit.
    18 y/o you can ride a motorcycle or scooter up the power of 35 kw/46.6 bhp with a power to weight ratio not exceeding .2 kW per kg. You cannot restrict any bike that is more than double that power (70 kW)

Example 1. A Suzuki Bandit 600 is 57kw as standard. If this bike is restricted to 25kw it is more than double that originally so not allowed for A2 learner permit, ibt or test. A 35kw restriction would be ok as this is more than half original power but is within the permit restrictions for the A2.
    Example 2. A Yamaha Fazer 600 is 95 bhp (70.8 kw) so would not be allowed for restriction to the A2 permit as half of it's original power is 35.4 kw which is .4 kw over the permitted 35kw limit.

4. A (unrestricted) learner permit.
    Minimum 20 y/o you can apply for a learner permit in category A (Unrestricted) if you have had a full licence in category A2 for a minimum of 2 years. You would need to acquire an A category LP first then do IBT progression module 5 with no requirement for another test.

5. 24 y/o or over.
    You can apply for the A (Unrestricted) LP and avail of the Direct Access IBT modules 1, 3 & 5 (18 hrs). On completion you may then ride any size motorcycle on the road without power restriction. (As long as you can insure it)

Please Note:
    If you intend to progress from an A 25 kW restricted LP to a new unrestricted A and you have never done ibt then you must complete all modules 1, 3 & 5.
    If you intend to progress from an A 25 kW restricted LP to a new unrestricted A by doing module 5 then you must provide some information to your chosen instructor in advance so they can acquire a confirmation code for you. This must be sorted before you can do Progression module 5.

6. If you held a category A learner permit prior to January 19th 2013 and you upgrade to the new unrestricted lp then the 6 month rule will apply from the date of your first restricted lp not your new lp.

7. All learner permit holders on a motorcycle or scooter are required by law to display a full size L plate on the front & rear of a Hi-Viz yellow tabard since December 2007. It is a penal offence and carries a maximum fine up to €1000 for non compliance.

8. You must have a valid tax disc fitted to the bike preferably on the left hand side and not fixed to the rear number plate.

9. There is no NCT as yet for motorcycles and no need to display an insurance disc.

10. You should wear a correctly fitted crash helmet by law (Not Second-hand) and at your own discretion but strongly advised, proper motorcycle gloves, jacket, pants & boots.

12. Europe including Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK are out of bound for any learner permit holders.

13. Once you pass you full licence test in any category you may carry a pillion passenger (Check your insurance covers this) use motorways (subject to regulations)and ride in other countries

There are many things to consider when looking to start out on a motorcycle or scooter. The cost can be more than you might expect in the beginning so always factor in the following.

Theory test €40.60 (If you pass first time)
    Learner Permit €35.00
    Initial Basic Training. Anything from €350-€700
    Motorcycle ?
    Insurance ? (Always check before buying your bike)
    Road Tax. Between €50-€85
    Helmet, Jacket, Pants, Gloves, Boots for summer & winter use could be €500 upwards.

Category Representative vehicle for motorcycle test
    AM
    Two-wheeled mechanically propelled vehicle, not capable of being manually propelled. The machine must have a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cm3
    in the case of an internal combustion engine, or a maximum continuous rated power of no more than 4 kilowatts in the case of an electric motor. The vehicle must have a design speed of at least 25 km/h but
    not more than 45 km/h.

A1
    A Category A1 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 120 cm3 and not exceeding 125 cm3, and capable of a speed of at least 90 km/h, with a power not exceeding 11kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.1kW/kg. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.08 kW/kg.

A2
    A Category A2 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 395cm3, and an engine power of at least 25 kW, but not exceeding 35 kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.15 kW/kg.
    A
    A Category A motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 595 cm3, and an engine power of at least 40 kW. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.25 kW/kg.
    As of November 2013 this will change to over 50 kW and at least 180 kg unladen weight.

I hope this has cleared up a number of repetitive questions and all information is accurate and up to date as of 20/10/2013
    If I think of anything else I will add it if this can be put up as a sticky

Update on representitive Category A2 Motorcycles effective immediately for ibt and test

A Category A2 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 245cm3, and an engine power of at least 20 kW, but not exceeding 35 kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.15 kW/kg.
    A

If I buy a bike in n Ireland and vrt it within 3 days is it? How do I get the bike to vrt office if I don’t have a learner permit just car licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Don't buy until after your IBT.

Anyone know the story at present to apply for theory test? I went to apply online and put in local centre and dates but comes up with nothing. Are they not currently being done? Very confusing. I rang them and they said you should call NDLS. If you go on NDLS website it says about contacting rsa for theory test? Where can I get info from a human not a website.

• Advertisement

In line with Level 5 Government restrictions the Driver Theory Test service will be suspended from 22nd October 2020 until 1st December 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I realised today that as a 37 year old I can go straight for an A licence (following passing the theory test, going through IBT etc). Thing is, I'm not sure I was to start off on a 600cc bike, and up until today had been actively looking at 125s.. If I get say a 3 or 400 cc bike post-IBT, would I need to hire a 600+ bike for the full test? Or would my licence default to what level of the bike I have, and I'd have an A2 licence perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭enrique66_35

I realised today that as a 37 year old I can go straight for an A licence (following passing the theory test, going through IBT etc). Thing is, I'm not sure I was to start off on a 600cc bike, and up until today had been actively looking at 125s.. If I get say a 3 or 400 cc bike post-IBT, would I need to hire a 600+ bike for the full test? Or would my licence default to what level of the bike I have, and I'd have an A2 licence perhaps?

The first step after a theory test is to get a learner permit and I strongly recommend applying for an A class one as it gives greatest flexibility (includes the other classes automatically). The full licence you get on passing the test will reflect whatever class of bike you use for the test so as you say if you use an A2 bike for the test, A2 licence and so on. Nothing stopping you doing the full (A) IBT which will include time on a A class bike (often Bandits, Fazer/FZ6 and MT07s).

I would suggest talking to your IBT instructor as they will be best placed to assess your ability and advise you. Even if you "pass" the full A IBT you can still buy and ride an A2 bike if you're more comfortable with it but will need to hire an A bike for the test if you want an A licence. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Thanks enrique, that helps a lot. Regarding the process, I got some well-intentioned but completely incorrect advice in a bike shop around a month ago, and it took me a while to cop on to that!

Get the A learner permit and do the IBT.

On the IBT you'll probably be starting out on a 125cc instructor's bike, if you get the hang of it you'll be moved up to a 600cc.

Don't be worry about what bike to get now - do your IBT first and that will give you an idea of what you want to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I'm a year or two older than you and did the IBT for the first time last year and got the full A license there last month. The first bike I bought was a 373cc and after 6 months sold it and got a 650cc because I wanted something bigger that I could do my test on. In retrospect, I should have gone straight to the 650. I really wouldn't even consider a 125 unless you're very nervous. You'll be strangling the life out of it within a few weeks I'd say.

Like the above advice, do the IBT and try out the 125 and the 650 class bikes and see how you feel. Don't dismiss the idea of going straight to a 650 once you've done the IBT though. A SV650 / MT-07 / z650 / Ninja 650 would all be grand first bikes and you can do the full A test on them. Whether you get a 300/400/650 you'll probably be crapping yourself on your first spin on it either way! Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I'm 47, did my IBT in October, then bought a SV650
    Glad I did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭goblin59

Did my IBT last November and bought a 2012 F650GS twin as my first bike in February, great bike for getting use too, but at 800cc the insurance was a little more haha

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

Did IBT in July and bought CBF600S grand bike to get going. Have my test in January. I would recommend if you can get A license get A rated bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 neilmb

so I have a car licence since 2007, and want to move to a 50CC moped. do I still need to do learner permit, IBT etc for a 50cc?

Advertisement