Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seattle Seahawks Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Delighted! Massive win. I won't lie, I was worried. But the W is all that matters. 4-0 for the first time in franchise history. Secondary came up big in the 2nd half after being uncharacteristically poor in the 1st. Lynch was very good and once Wilson started getting out of the pocket, it was a different game. Passing game was nonexistent. Poor blocking, but any O-line missing 3 starters would struggle. Especially against JJ Watt. Was very worried for Michael Bennett when he went down. Looked very bad, but I saw on twitter that he'll be ok.
    Bring on Luck and co.!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think tonight we saw where the seahawks D can be beaten - if teams have a QB that can throw accurate deep balls, the tightness of the LOB's man coverage becomes a weakness. Also, Indy were very clever lining Wayne up in the slot, getting a favourable 1-on-1 matchup with Thurmond. Sherman really should have been moved into nickel for these formations but they never did this for whatever reason.

That said, it was a one score loss on the road to a very good Colts team, helped hugely by two crucial home town PI calls. There are also a few areas you have to tip your hat to the colts - hilton had some stunning grabs, and luck buys so much time under pressure it's unreal.

No real reason for panic. I'm sure people would have taken 4-1 before these two road games. Having said that, the sooner we can get the O-Line healthy and get back a potent passing game the better. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be our day when I saw wilson scrambling so much - a credit to the Colts D of course, but also a sign your O-Line just aren't up to the task.

Neil 3030 summed it up fairly well. Disappointed, but not getting overly worried. 2 stats that tell some of the story for the loss:
    Indianapolis 7 of 12 on third down. Seattle 2 of 12.
    The seahawks were at or inside the Indy 30 seven times and got two TDs (4 FGs).
    If they could have improved on those numbers, I'm sure they would have won. Secondary had an off day but I'd be more concerned with WR and O line.
    Saw this on BR and I think it sums it up fairy well:
    The Seahawks have played three of their five games on the road, and all three have been played at 1 p.m. ET. They've also played three-of-five against playoff teams from a season ago and four-of-five that were in the top eight in the league in defense coming into this week.

They've also been playing without three starters on the offensive line and without the best wide receiver on the roster.

Yet despite all that, this team is still 4-1 and in first place in its division.

While the players, coaches and fans are all frustrated with this loss, it is important to keep the rest of the season in perspective. This team is still in first place and will begin getting healthy on offense over the next couple weeks.

Oh yeah, and Andrew Luck is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Drifted back into silly penalty lapses yesterday. That will always hurt us. The TD that wasn't and the dodgy reversal on the Rice catch. Even with all that it was a road loss that we can't be too disappointed with. Niners looked better this week too. Niners and Cards both on 3-2 makes me a little nervous. Regular season should be all about home field advantage. We have to stay ahead of the Niners. Great season so far.

• Advertisement

Apparently the Jags signed Stephen Williams yesterday, making him their 5th former Seahawk cut this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Great game on Sunday night! Some of the penalties were a bit harsh, but as a Colts fan I could point to the strip sack on Luck that should have been a penalty for a blow to the head!

Anyway I think the exertions of last weekend and two long road games with 10am starts caught up on ye in the end!!

Very impressed with both the Seattle o-line and d-lines! I watched your game agains the Texans and this was a much better performance all around by both!

After watching this game and the Broncos game I think Seattle are the best team in the NFL! Certainly all around the best team and the only weakness I can see (receivers) will be hugely improved when Harvin and Miller are back!

Oh and Wilson is electric!

Interesting post on SeattlePI forum - any thoughts:
    I am not a big fan of Tom Cable. He was given position of Assistant Head Coach when hired. What is the weakest position on the Seahawk team? I am reasonably sure they allowed him to choose the first few picks in that upcoming draft. It just stands to reason. He drafted Carp and Moffit. Cable brought Gallery here on a one year 7 million dollar contract. Now he is trying to turn seventh round DT Sweezy into a Guard. How has all that worked out? Max Unger was drafted when Mora was coach. Okung was drafted before Cable arrived. When you think about it, were Rob Sims and Chris Spencer really worse than Carp/Muffet/Gallery? Sims is playing for the Lions and Spencer for the Titans. Smith/Seymour drafted in 7th and now on PS. Seventh round pick Bowie is starting for injured Giacomini. It appears Cable has assured Schnieder/Carroll that he is such a good coach he can turn all these sevenths into OLmen on a Super Bowl contending team. Cable might be good at coaching players, but his talent evaluation appears suspect to me.

Max Unger being fit again should be a big boost. A boost that's badly needed for a passing game that struggled the last couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Should be a good game tomorrow, the titans D will need to be immense and get short fields as on current form the titans o can't do multiple field long drives to win the game

• Advertisement

Seahawks move to 5-1 without really looking their best. Took until the second half before getting the run game going, which ultimately made the difference. I don't even think you can credit the titans for stuffing the run early on, as that's two weeks in a row seattle have wasted early opportunites on offense by overusing the read plays. I guess it keeps lynch fresh for the second half, but it made the game way too close. Would much rather see a more classic running game straight out of the blocks. Why have 3 rbs in lynch, turbin and michael if you have your qb rush it all the time?

I think a one score win was a fair result today against a good defence. Some weird moments for both sides probably balanced out the fortune side of things.

Miller should be back on Thursday night, and if accounts are to be believed, Harvin might be ready to go next week.

2 massive additions to the passing game there.

The way things are working, there could be a quality addition to the team, pretty much each week.

Week 5: Irvin
    Week 6: Unger
    Week 7: Miller
    Week 8/9: Harvin
    Week 10/11: Okung? Wagner?

Been meaning to but haven't had a chance to post in this thread recently. Only got to see highlights of yesterdays game but looked like a good performance. This is going to be a generalisation of hte past few weeks and what I've seen. One of the biggest positives for me is the performance of the WR unit. Doug Baldwin has been solid, Golden Tate has been playing very well and Jermaine Kearse has been steadily improving. Lynch has been a beast as usual. Is Wilson in the top two of the 2nd year quarterbacks? IMO he's better than RG3 at the min. The defense has been suspect against the run the past few weeks. Completely stuffed Atlanta in that regard though. Okung, Unger and Harvin still to come back too. Saw a report that 3 OL starters (Okung, Unger, Giacomini) could all return to the lineup next week. On the flip side, Browner and McDaniel went down. The bye week will be welcome to get everyone fit and healthy and ease them into the lineup.
    9-1 after 10 weeks with Vikes up next in Centurylink before the bye week. Hopefully 10-1, and have the 5 guys mentioned above fully ready when the Saints come to town for one of the biggest matches of the year.
    In pole position for no 1 seed at the moment and hot favourites to win four of the remaining six games(Giants, Cards, Rams, Vikes).

I will cautiously draw optimism from last night, but everything should be underscored by the fact that there was absolutely zero pass rush from the Falcons. Wilson had all kinds of time, which he simply won't get against better opposition.

Tate looks like a man possessed ever since he made a fool of himself taunting on that TD pass a few weeks ago. I'd say he was read the riot act, and seems to be almost sulking by way of putting in stellar performances and remaining completely stoic in the aftermath of big plays - it's a shame players don't sulk in this manner more often!!

Big Red should also be back next weekend. Not expecting Breno, Okung and Harvin to click straight away, but they are all practising now apparently, which is a good sign.

Great sight for all Seahawks fans....maybe not so much for fans of all other teams!
    https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/400736770251583489/photo/1

Caught most of this weeks match on-line. First of all, I thought the defence was excellent. They managed to limit AP very well. The O line was middling but that's to be expected to a degree with the guys returning. Lynch was very good as usual and it was great to see Harvin in action.
    On Russell Wilson: Wilson finished with a passer rating of 151.4 (perfect is 158.3) and a QBR of 98.5 (perfect is 100). OK, he only attempted 18 passes, but he completed 13 for 230 yards and 2 TD's.
    The bye week is coming at the perfect time. Despite getting a few starters back the injury report is still very long with lots of niggles. http://www.seahawks.com/team/injuries.html
    Jermaine Kearse also left with concussion. The bye will hopefully help clear up these problems as well as helping returning players settle back into the lineup.

What a difference an O-Line makes - Wilson only scrambled twice in that game, for 14 yards. A team that needs its QB to pick up yards on the deck will eventually be found out (or down a quarterback). Things just looked so much more calm and organised when Wilson dropped back last night. Plays broke down a bit, but for the most part he was able to go through his progressions and find a receiver.

Can't wait to see Harvin at full pelt, his class really showed in his limited opportunities. The surgery also doesn't seem to have affected his speed either, which is great.

Sherman had a bit of a mare in the first half, but I'm sure the whole secondary was on high alert for AP breaking through the box. The defence really ratcheted things up in the second half when Minnesota started throwing the ball more, the secondary in particular seemed to relax and play its own game.

Huge game now after the bye week.

Very disappointed to hear that Walter Thurmond has been given a 4 game ban for violating the substance abuse policy. Ian Rapaport reported on twitter that the ban won't be appealed so he'll be free for the playoffs. This is an even bigger blow, seeing as Browner is about for about a month with a groin injury. You'd have to wonder when will these players learn.

Seahawks thread is lingering too far down! Where are the 12s? Getting ready to enjoy a stress-free wildcard weekend. Don't care who comes through - they will all be interesting games but I'm confident we can take anyone at home. Plenty of tickets but starting price is ~$250 for our playoff weekend. Every store has Seahawks merchandise. Lots of kids wearing jerseys. Lots of fair-weather fans but I cant knock it. Great buzz - can't wait for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hey, i thought I was alone...

Been a fan since the year they beat the Raiders (champs at the time) in the Wild Card game. Dropped away from the game as the RTE coverage stopped but it looks like I picked the right year to get Sky TV :D

Confident about this week but have my doubts after that.

• Advertisement

All the focus on the 49ers now being the favourites in the NFC could actually be beneficial to the seahawks, tbh. Pretty sure the team plays their best when the rest of the country forget they exist.

Harvin could be fit to start against the saints is also a massive lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Saints will be frothing to beat Settle, I read something about Payton having the Seahawks' logo painted on the practice field. Wouldn't be surprised by a bunch more upsets next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The Seahawks have also stuttered a little in recent weeks. Teams will think they have a chance when they go to Seattle.

Not that they have a chance or anything ;)

Syferus wrote: »
    ...I read something about Payton having the Seahawks' logo painted on the practice field.

Here's proof...well 'internet' proof: https://twitter.com/Saints/status/420657464434900992/photo/1

While we're waiting for the game here's some photos I took on a CLINK tour last weekend. Best moment. There were ~30 of us on the tour and when you are on the field they get us all to shout so we can hear how the sound travels and is amplified by the design of the stadium. For just 30 people it was unbelievable. Someone did a serious job on the acoustics.

D9CCC1B70D3A40C1A0EFD5A1596DD9BC-0000369691-0003475137-00800L-6A5FC0E6939246E692DB83CC790F1928.jpg

Rest of pics: http://pix.ie/ifyouhadanegg/album/483540

Go Hawks!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

Ge5GIaF.jpg

Kinda sad about the lack of Seahawks love in this forum.

I'm not a particularly seasoned American Football watcher, so can't offer much analysis, but I think more of this would be good on Sunday:
    russell%2Bwilson%2Bavoiding%2Bahmad%2Bbrooks%2Btackle%2Bdr%2Bheckle%2Bfunny%2Bwtf%2Bgifs.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

tehjimmeh wrote: »
    Kinda sad about the lack of Seahawks love in this forum.
    It's easy to understand though. People who don't have a local team to support, i.e. people from outside the US, will have varying reasons to pick a team, but likely the team will be relatively high profile. Until last season, the Seahawks were not a high profile team. I'm sure many newer fans to the games will become Seahawks supporters.

FWIW, the bandwagon is heaving stateside.

I've tried to keep the flag flying when I could but if you leaf back through this thread you'll find more than one occasion of me pretty much having a conversation with myself!

Harvin didn't pass the medical tests and won't play this weekend. That could be the edge for the 9ers tbh. Their defense will have the speed to handle the zone read, having Harvin motioning opposite direction to lynch would have kept them honest and offered a viable 3 way threat. With only wilson and lynch to contend with I can see them closing it out as the game develops.

Funny that when Carroll broke the news of harvin not playing he somewhat instinctively continued to say that he'll be back next week ready to practice..... hope those words don't come back to bite him!

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    It's easy to understand though. People who don't have a local team to support, i.e. people from outside the US, will have varying reasons to pick a team, but likely the team will be relatively high profile. Until last season, the Seahawks were not a high profile team. I'm sure many newer fans to the games will become Seahawks supporters.
    Ah yeah, I understand it all right. It's like how you only ever meet Barcelona and Man U soccer fans (excluding MLS) over here.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Harvin didn't pass the medical tests and won't play this weekend. That could be the edge for the 9ers tbh. Their defense will have the speed to handle the zone read, having Harvin motioning opposite direction to lynch would have kept them honest and offered a viable 3 way threat. With only wilson and lynch to contend with I can see them closing it out as the game develops.
    I think Harvin being out is being hyped by the media way too much. We managed to win 12/15 regular season games without him. I get that our recent offensive form hasn't been fantastic, and he was important against the Saints, but I wouldn't really place so much importance on missing one player who's only played 2 games this season.

If our defence can contain Kaepernick (and/or intercept the **** out of him) the same way they did the last time we played the 9ers at CLink, we'll be fine. Granted, I don't think it'll be so easy this time.

Advertisement