Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where you goin' city boy? - the off topic and chat thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Power cuts (if they happen) will be my opportunity to test this latest idle interest.

Headlamp+Lantern.png

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Power cuts (if they happen) will be my opportunity to test this latest idle interest.

Headlamp+Lantern.png

MAN, fickle and argumentative, but also full of Simple Genius!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Did I read/hear somewhere that if you throw a bit of bleach into the water it lights up even more? Or is that just nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Danpad wrote: »
    Did I read/hear somewhere that if you throw a bit of bleach into the water it lights up even more? Or is that just nonsense?

I think you may be referring to solar roof lights(for tin/metal) roofs, if you put bleach in the water it stops it turning green.

http://dornob.com/solar-bottle-lamps-water-bleach-10000-liters-of-light/#axzz2lCgRC43a

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement

Finally got round to trying out the head-torch lantern idea. Overall, a bit disappointing. The light isn't magnified, merely diffused. The other though that struck me quite quickly was, the clock was ticking on battery life. It would work best at a small table for 2/3 people, playing cards or something similar. If you want to keep the light out of someone's eyes (that old head-torch problem), then a more gentle light, otherwise not a great backup to oil lamps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Finally got round to trying out the head-torch lantern idea. Overall, a bit disappointing. The light isn't magnified, merely diffused. The other though that struck me quite quickly was, the clock was ticking on battery life. It would work best at a small table for 2/3 people, playing cards or something similar. If you want to keep the light out of someone's eyes (that old head-torch problem), then a more gentle light, otherwise not a great backup to oil lamps etc.

Oil lamps all the way here, I keep about 5l of decent lamp oil and when that runs out its get down and dirty with good old kerosene (stinks compared to lamp oil and produces more smoke).

The term 'sheeple' - does it wreck anyone else's head?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Never heard it before today. There are a fierce number of sheep out there though. Fierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Yeah it really bugs me. If I hear someone say I automatically assume they are dumb as wood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think mawk just called you dumb as wood, Tabnabs. :D

*hovers finger over ban button* really? :D

That's christmas sorted...

game-christmas-tinner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Headlamp+Lantern.png

What I use is my maglite
    Take the head of the maglite off take out the reflector then put the base of the maglite into the empty head and turn on.Safer than candles much brighter and totally hands free

ShadowFox wrote: »
    What I use is my maglite
    Take the head of the maglite off take out the reflector then put the base of the maglite into the empty head and turn on.Safer than candles much brighter and totally hands free

And if you click the light intensity down to the minimum setting they last for ages and still just give enough light to read by or keep the kids happy.

Ikea don't do houses, but...

QB2 is a post-and-beam structure developed jointly with Bolton Buildings. The outer structure can be assembled and made waterproof in around 4 hours and the whole structure (including inner and outer wall surfaces, the windows/door, the insulation, and the electrical wiring) can be completed in 3-4 days. Options exist for cladding and for fitting out and, once constructed, QB2 is easily transported by road and sited wherever a static caravan is permitted.

http://www.cubeproject.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

batten down the hatches for tonight,
    very very windy here

Hopefully its passed over here in West Waterford but while it was windy the rain was really bad for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Rain was that bad on the way home from work i had to stop, couldnt see the car parked in front of me it was that bad. Never seen anything like it before

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Rain was that bad on the way home from work i had to stop, couldnt see the car parked in front of me it was that bad. Never seen anything like it before

Was bad but worst I ever saw was in the UK, I stopped driving about 100 yards from our gate and all the traffic was stopped the guy in a mini in front of me opened his door to get a better look at what was going on and the water was rising so quickly it ran straight in through the drivers door. Luckily most other cars were out of the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@tabnabs; have you seen IKEA's emergency shelter, designed and built for the UNHCR? Unveiled lately and expected to cost $1000, it's a flatpack with a solar panel, designed to be quickly erected in disaster zones.

regards
    Stovepipe

Hadn't seen that, many thanks for the heads up.

Clever stuff (if a bit grim looking)

shelter3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It's a bit basic but I suppose it'd do as a quick solution.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Have seen that design and construction method used and wasn't really impressed. I got the feeling that if you let the wind catch the door once that would be the last you'd see of it. But as a choice between that and the open air I'd give it a go.

a classic that I'm very happy to see still around on the net today, Mors Kochanski’s Try Stick:

try-stick.jpg

Full details here http://www.karamat.com/trystick.pdf

a classic that I'm very happy to see still around on the net today, Mors Kochanski’s Try Stick:

Worth a try, no better way to prove to yourself that your tools need a good sharpening :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

don't see the point of starting a new thread for this, would anyone be able to recommend a good general purpose knife one which would be suitable for most tasks

The Mora clipper is possibly the best all round knife when price is taken into account.
    http://activehuntingireland.ie/morakniv-clipper-840mg?search=mora.html

• Advertisement

A day out with the North Florida Survival Group

http://totallycoolpix.com/2013/02/kids-survival-training/

Advertisement