Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colts Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

So Chapman is out practicing today! He will be evaluated but has 3 weeks to get upgraded to the active roster or else misses the rest of the season! Hopefully he does make the active roster!

Both Mathis and Redding are practicing today! Redding said he's definitely gonna play on Sunday! Expectations are that Mathis does too!!

Moala and Butler (a CB) were the only two not practicing today....presumably Browne didn't either!

Staying on a similar note has anyone seen Freeney do his spin move this year? I have to say I can't remember him doing it! He's obviously not near fully fit but if he can't spin then that would be an explanation as to why he hasn't been getting to the QB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

taidghbaby wrote: »
    On Barner how high do you think he'll go? I know you said he's better than Lamichael James but they do strike me as somewhat similar players, although Barner definitely has more power! James fell to the 3rd didn't he? I think if they do look at another running back (which I can't see them doing) it may be for more of a bigger power back!

The other thing is well have $32 million on free cap space, MJD anyone?

Barner looks to me like a more NFL ready Back than James, but yeah we need to go for defensive players in at least the first two rounds.

Don't. Don't give me false hope on getting MJD. Best back in the league. Would kill for him on the Colts.

davyjose wrote: »

Barner looks to me like a more NFL ready Back than James, but yeah we need to go for defensive players in at least the first two rounds.

Don't. Don't give me false hope on getting MJD. Best back in the league. Would kill for him on the Colts.
    Don't forget our second round pick in next years draft is already out there tearing it up on defence!!!!

Tebow to the jags and then MJD surplus to requirements.....

Don't forget our second round pick in next years draft is already out there tearing it up on defence!!!!
    Yeah, forgot about that. Well hopefully with the cap space opening up, we'll be able to make some lucrative offers to some good players in the off season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

That Ballard td play was pretty awesome.

• Advertisement

That Ballard td play was pretty awesome.
    Yeah it was special alright!!
    Just a great all around drive!!

Yeah it was special alright!!
    Just a great all around drive!!
    Savage win today. Delighted at how Luck is coming along. He's special.

My take on last Sundays game!

Lows:
    • No pressure on the QB (1 sack) and no defensive turnovers again! The titans were missing both tackles and we still got no pressure from our outside linebackers!
    • Davis injured again and Powers getting picked on! We got away with a couple of close (if maybe technically correct) offensive PI calls!
    • lots of pressure on Luck when throwing! It's not so much the fact he's under pressure but more so the fact that opposing defences can get so much pressure rushing only 4 and dropping 7 back! It's making it difficult for Luck to throw to open receivers!
    • were not gettin our tight ends involved enough in the passing game! I'm not sure whether that's on Luck or whether its the TE's not getting open or maybe the TE's staying in to protect! However if we are going to run a lot of 2 TE sets then they need to be more of a factor in the passing game!
    • Another ugly game to watch!

Positives:
    • Winning another tight game - there's been one score in 5 of our games this year and we've won 4 of them! Really we should have won 5!!
    • Luck was more accurate this week than the previous week! He had 2 questionable throws this week I can remember! 1 was to Reggie in the first quarter that there was a chance for an interception and the other was the interception! It als has to be said that he looks best under pressure! He has had 3 4th quarter game winning drives and one overtime game winning drive!! (He should have 4 4th quarter drives but I think I've mentioned that game enough now at this stage!!) To me he looks more comfortable on the drives to win a game rather than the earlier drives in a game!!
    • Run defence was good again this week! Although its looking like that's to the detriment of the pass defence. Run offence was also very good! Ballard looked very good again this week. To me he looks more suited to the power run game we are trying to use rather than Brown does. He picks his running lane better and has the power to pick up a couple of extra yards when tackled! Brown did very well too on the OT drive when the Titans defence opened up.

There's loads more but those are thesis ones I can remember!! Most importantly were 4 & 3!! I have to say I didn't think that was possible at the start of the year!! I do think out schedule starts to get harder from here on in though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So a big game against Miami on Sunday lads, how do you's see that going? It's clashing with my Broncos unfortunately so I won't be able to watch it. Do ya's hold out any hope of a wild card spot?

I think it's all probably too soon for Indy but a nice surprise to see them in the reckoning halfway through the season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Had to come in here and give you my 2 cents. Colts for me are biggest surprise this yr. Luck is really starting to look the part, love how Reggie is playing & supporting his new QB. That OT TD by Ballard was unreal, have not seen as good a play in years. And this while your HC is in recovery, amazing.

• Advertisement

So a big game against Miami on Sunday lads, how do you's see that going? It's clashing with my Broncos unfortunately so I won't be able to watch it. Do ya's hold out any hope of a wild card spot?

I think it's all probably too soon for Indy but a nice surprise to see them in the reckoning halfway through the season

I'm not too sure, haven't seen a lot of Miami this season, but by all accounts, they'll give us trouble on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we can keep it tight against them and put Luck in a position to win us the game. It's crazy to put that pressure on a Rookie, but he's proven he's up to it.

I think we're good for another four or five wins. A lot could depend on Sunday. It's possibly our biggest game in a long time. But it depends on other divisions. I would have to expect Baltimore/Pittsburgh or Denver/San Diego and Ben possibly the Jets or Miami to beat us to it, but it's nice to feel we have still something to play for at this point in the season.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Had to come in here and give you my 2 cents. Colts for me are biggest surprise this yr. Luck is really starting to look the part, love how Reggie is playing & supporting his new QB. That OT TD by Ballard was unreal, have not seen as good a play in years. And this while your HC is in recovery, amazing.

Cheers man, yeah it's been a pleasant surprise. Luck has been incredible, it warms my heart to think about what he'll be like 5 years from now. And Reggie... he's come out of his shell now the Manning/Polian dictatorship has ended, lol. Great to see.

I have turned from having no confidence in us to be able to get a playoff spot, to becoming if not quietly confident then certainly hopeful! We are definitely benefiting from the poor standard in the AFC this year (in comparison to the NFC anyway)
    When I look at the schedule (and I don't want to write off games before they're played especially after the packers game) there's really only 3 games that I give us very little hope in: Pats, @ Texans & the lions! I know the Lions aren't going great but I don't see how we cover Megatron, bar triple coverage!!

This leaves us with the Dolphins, @ Jags, Titans, Bills, @ Chiefs and the Texans again. IMO these are all winnable games! We're not going to be favourites but we haven't been favourites this year (Bar maybe the Browns) yet and we are 4-3! Of we go 4-2 in these that would leave us with 8 wins which could be touch and go for a playoff place!

The game this weekend will be very difficult! I don't think Moore is much of a downgrade on Tannehil! Or to phrase that better, from what I've seen from the Dolphins it's been there defence that has been getting them wins along with some good performances from Bush! The Jets hammered us and the Dolphins hammered the Jets so we really should have no hope....I have a sneaky feeling young Mr. Luck may pull us through again!

Man I got shivers. Irsay looks like he's been bawling.

Man I got shivers. Irsay looks like he's been bawling.

He's fairly red in the face alright!!

Irsay gets a lot of slack (and some is deserved) but in fairness to him IMO he has gotten most of the back office and management decisions right since the end of last year! I'd love if Jeff Saturday had of stayed though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nice to see that, a special moment. All the NFL is rooting for Coach Pagano and nice to see his team doing him proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Just saw it there. I choked up a little i'll admit. Moment of the year so far.

Luck has as many yards as Manning, and 4 yards fewer than Brady. That's it. Nobody else has more yards than him.

And he has as many wins as those two. Color me mindfcuked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

I though Mike Carlson was wrong last night to dismiss the Colts chances of making a playoff this year. Both the Colts and the Chargers have the capacity to get that sixth wildcard spot. The Ravens and the Steelers Im pretty sure will both make the playoffs taking one of the wildcard spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I though Mike Carlson was wrong last night to dismiss the Colts chances of making a playoff this year. Both the Colts and the Chargers have the capacity to get that sixth wildcard spot. The Ravens and the Steelers Im pretty sure will both make the playoffs taking one of the wildcard spots.

They definitely do after last nights win. Luck is seriously special, he could well carry them to a wildcard spot.

His highlight tape on NFL is magic to watch, I'd say it feels a whole lot better being a colts fan now than this time last year!:)

I think the colts could definitely go 10-6 & I reckon SD will finish 9-7/8-8 & Miami the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Luck has as many yards as Manning, and 4 yards fewer than Brady. That's it. Nobody else has more yards than him.

And he has as many wins as those two. Color me mindfcuked!

The two times I've watched games this year I've been very impressed (vs Bears and vs Dolphins) I can't believe I'm looking at a rookie. He's so composed, is strong and surprisingly elusive, throws a beautiful -looking ball, deep, short, touch passes. (His WR's seem to make spectacular catches too!) and he has the velocity too, he can really laser it in when needed. He (and the Colts) will only get better as the year progresses and I can see them making the playoffs.

Pagano is cancer free. He's still high risk obviously, but there has been no cancer detected in his last test. This just gets better and better :D

http://www.indystar.com/article/20121105/SPORTS03/121105032/Doctors-Chuck-Pagano-s-cancer-remission?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Pagano is cancer free. He's still high risk obviously, but there has been no cancer detected in his last test. This just gets better and better :D

http://www.indystar.com/article/20121105/SPORTS03/121105032/Doctors-Chuck-Pagano-s-cancer-remission?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.com

he wasnt kidding last night when he said "it's beat" so :D

Delighted for him. Developed a real soft spot for Indy lately

Absolutely fantastic news!! Delighted for him and his family!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Great news

Pagano is fondly remembered by all Baltimore fans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Luck's on pace to pass for over 4,800 yards. Even for most elite QBs today that'd be a near-career year total.

The explosion of good rookie QB play in the last two years has completely changed how rookie QBs are perceived.

Ok so my take on the dolphins win:

Another close game! I'm not sure whether its a sign were a great team that are making big plays when needed winning these tight games, or whether we're a bad team getting lucky! Somewhere in between I guess! Andrew Luck was phenomenal! Got lucky with a couple of throws but this (unsurprisingly) was his most accomplished performance so far IMO. On the Dolphins I can see why they have done well this year! Their run defence is very good!! Reggie Bush is explosive (if a little inconsistent)! Tannehill was good for the 1st 3 and a bit quarters! Disappointing for him and Dolphins fans (great for the Colts) he was poor in the last two Dolphins drives when they needed to get a FG to tie - especially his accuracy!

Negatives
    • no turnovers again! We caused one fumble although the Dolphins recovered it! We still have only 3 turnovers all year - a league low!
    • Penalties - we gave away some silly ones this week (innelligible man downfield that stalled a drive / illegal wedge on a kick off that put is back on our 8 yard line / delay of play that cost us 5 yards on Vinateiris first FG attempt which he missed)
    • Vinateiri - his accuracy was poor again IMO! Has not been great all season!
    • injuries - Mathis barely lasted a quarter this week!
    • dropping catches! Our Receivers were good in patches on Sunday but we dropped 4 easy catches on Sunday including a Hilton (could have been Avery either) one for a TD when he let it through his hands!

Positives:
    • Luck - he was unvelievable!! His play on 3rd and long was brilliant (I don't have the stats but it was crazy stuff). His movement in the pocket was brilliant (I need a thesaurus for superlatives to use). He felt the pressure moved away from it an the delivered down field on so many occasions!
    • Dwayne Allen - was very good the weekend again! Has been much better than Fleener although Fleener is injured now!
    • overall defence - 2 bad mistakes cost us TD's in the first half (the Bush run and Also Angerer got caught badly on the first TD) but in the second half they reall stepped up! Freeney had his best game and Mathis got another sack (6 games in a row now I think!)

There are a good few others positives too! For me there hasn't been any huge increases in performance in any one area but rather small improvements from week to week across the board! 5 & 3 now....nice!

Also around 25 players an some staff members have shaved their head in support of Chuck yesterday! Nice touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I've only seen some highlights of Luck playing this season so I'm really looking forward to tonight's game. The kid has done an excellent job for you guys and I've been very impressed by how he conducts himself. Us Pats & Colts fans have been blessed to have two of the greatest QB's ever in Brady & Manning, wearing our team colours. Luck has a long, long way to go before he can even attempt to match those two legends. But I think he really will be something special for you guys.

I just read a Brady interview the other day and he was speaking about the need for perfection, to continue to work on the perfect throwing mechanics, to always improve your game and try and always get better for the team. Then I read an interview from Luck and he came across as a nice humble guy and his desire to improve on his winning performance, just jumped out at me. I loved the way he focused on his mistakes even after the victory and didn't seek any glory for himself.

This perfectionist quality he seems to have, really, really reminds me of Brady and Manning. And that can only bode well for the future and all you Colts fans. Always their own toughest critic, no one will break down a play and criticise themselves the way Tom and Peyton do. Even when all we see is an amazing play on the field. They will only see what needs to be done better next time.

Along with their obvious physical talents and ability, I think that's been a key ingredient to their greatness down the years. Interestingly, I have already seen glimpses of this in Luck. People might speak of other young QB's, but Luck just stands out with that certain quality, that's almost beyond his years.

Pats Vs Colts games will never be the same for me without Peyton. But it will be nice to see his worthy heir take the field in your colours. We've had some great battles down the years and some day we'll have our heir to Brady facing Luck on the field. But if Brady has his way, he'll be throwing a zimmer frame downfield(and proabaly accurately too) before that happens. :D

• Advertisement

One of the interesting things I've heard about Luck is that he's not doing any endorsements etc in his Rookie season! (Some of the Indy bloggers - well really just Brad Wells - we're using this to get a sly dig in at RG3)! Personally I don't think it would make a difference to a rookie but I think it goes to show just how determined he is to be as good as possible by eliminating any potential distractions!

Having said that he'll probably throw 4 picks tonight after all the love he's gotten this week!!

Advertisement