Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planetside 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Apparently all light infantry get some sort of small jump jets now.

Sounds very 'tribes' inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

It's funny, even after all this time I saw the poll and nerdraged just a little. TR is clearly spray and pray, MCG is epic lolz. VS is easy mode, since you just spew blobs of energy down a hallway with the lasher and take your easy exp. NC takes skill, since the Jackhammer was freaking impossible to lead a target with when you had any sort of latency. That said, an assault weapon that three-shots a Max...? Yes please!

And don't even get me started on tanks! :p

As for the actual question, I honestly don't know. When they added the ability to Empire hop I was just losing interest in PS1 but when I went back a few months ago I played all factions pretty evenly and found elements of the playstyle of each that I enjoyed, so I'll probably just go whatever faction my friends are playing tbh... once I recruit them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I am looking forward to it!

At the moment I am playing Planetside-lite AKA Tribes Ascend beta, which is pretty cool, you can get an early insight into how the next wave of games are going to try the whole micro payment / pay to win model, not quite as blatant as World of Tanks where you have to buy anything capable of inflicting or surviving damage, but present none the less. In Tribes you can earn all of the weapons/ perks with XP or cash, it just may take you some time to get there, skins are the only thing that have to be paid for with cash, which instantly marks you out as a saddo to be blasted by everybody!

It can be quite entertaining to repeatedly splat the lads who have bought at lot the toys but are not able to use them an listen to them whine over how over powered everything else is!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

fenris wrote: »
    I am looking forward to it!

At the moment I am playing Planetside-lite AKA Tribes Ascend beta, which is pretty cool, you can get an early insight into how the next wave of games are going to try the whole micro payment / pay to win model, not quite as blatant as World of Tanks where you have to buy anything capable of inflicting or surviving damage, but present none the less. In Tribes you can earn all of the weapons/ perks with XP or cash, it just may take you some time to get there, skins are the only thing that have to be paid for with cash, which instantly marks you out as a saddo to be blasted by everybody!

It can be quite entertaining to repeatedly splat the lads who have bought at lot the toys but are not able to use them an listen to them whine over how over powered everything else is!
    You can get every tank except premium tanks (which are Tier 8 vs up to T9/10 for all trees and are worse then a fully upgraded Tier 8 tank anyway) by grinding. B-IE got members who've never done premium and got tier 10 tanks.

For gold ammo, yes it is slightly better but once again you can easily beat people with out gold ammo (slight advantage at best, not worth it for most tanks) and you can't buy anything with gold to take more damage.

re World of Tanks, I found that when I was playing for a few of months around the release date was that unless you were using gold ammo you were getting nowhere and the gring to upgrade tanks without paying real cash was very tedious and usually resulted in getting wiped out with my shells bouncing off of everything unless I was using gold ammo. Maybe it is different now but at the time it fwlt very pay to win, from the perspective tht if I was paying I was winning and if I wasn't paying I wasn't getting any where.

The average monthly cost was well in excess of what I would budget for online gaming so I gave up WoT, Tribes gives a more satifying game without the same pay to win feeling, you can play well and win but paying gives you more options as opposed to the feeling that if you are not paying you are just fodder.

That is why I hope PS2 will be more like Tribes than WoT. The original PS allowed you to hold your own even at a low level and when you got your XP up you had more options but fundementally you were viable and competitive from the start, if Sony manage to keep that feeling then they are onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

re World of Tanks, I found that when I was playing for a few of months around the release date was that unless you were using gold ammo you were getting nowhere and the gring to upgrade tanks without paying real cash was very tedious and usually resulted in getting wiped out with my shells bouncing off of everything unless I was using gold ammo. Maybe it is different now but at the time it fwlt very pay to win, from the perspective tht if I was paying I was winning and if I wasn't paying I wasn't getting any where.

The average monthly cost was well in excess of what I would budget for online gaming so I gave up WoT, Tribes gives a more satifying game without the same pay to win feeling, you can play well and win but paying gives you more options as opposed to the feeling that if you are not paying you are just fodder.

That is why I hope PS2 will be more like Tribes than WoT. The original PS allowed you to hold your own even at a low level and when you got your XP up you had more options but fundementally you were viable and competitive from the start, if Sony manage to keep that feeling then they are onto a winner.

Gold ammo is not needed. The game is perfectly playable on a freemium acc. It does get harder to grind money at around tier 7/8 (and therefore move up tiers) depending on what gun you use on your tank(some rounds cost 1000k a pop then include repair bill). Normal ammo is perfectly fine you just need to know what tank you're shooting, where on said tank you're shooting and what gun you're using. No point using a Shermans piddling gun to shoot the frontal armor of a ... Lowe for example. Completely OT but the real problem with WoT is a lot of grind for no real difference in tanks.

my point is that the contrast between free and premium was a huge amount of grinding that for me removed the enjoyment from the game especially after paying and seeing the other side of the fence. It makes you very likely to leave rather than go back to free while making you feel like a bit of an idiot for paying so much.

As far as the defense side of things I seem to remember that you could pay to train your crew to buff you self?

I just hope sony don't mess up the same way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It costs less then 10 EUR a month to have premium (+50% credits/exp) which is less then a normal MMO subscription (7 EUR with Play for a while or around 8.50 with Zavvi).

There is no way to pay to train your crew, as your crew hits 100% they can (premium or not) start secondary skills which give a minor boost.

• Advertisement

I found that it was heading more towards 30- 40 per month when you included paying for gold ammo which is not included in boosted credits/xp on the monthly sub and needed to be paid for seperately as that ammo could only be bought for real money (gold) not credit/xp. That is exactly what I was talking about, to be competitive (not just fodder filling up the server) and have a real life i.e. job and family you simply don't have the time to grind like student days.

I have no problem paying for a game until the actual cost becomes more than the perceived benefit, I found freeplay and premium in WoT just means being cheap kills for gold ammo players, premium made the grind faster but not enough to keep someone like me (a couple of hours, a few nights a week) playing.

In Tribes Ascend paying just gives you a faster grind to get at the same kit as the free players, there are no weapons / ammo exclusivly pay to use like WoT gold ammo. Tha t to m is an important distinction and is the difference between pay to play and pay to win.

I found that it was heading more towards 30- 40 per month when you included paying for gold ammo which is not included in boosted credits/xp on the monthly sub and needed to be paid for seperately as that ammo could only be bought for real money (gold) not credit/xp. That is exactly what I was talking about, to be competitive (not just fodder filling up the server) and have a real life i.e. job and family you simply don't have the time to grind like student days.
    I've got over 8.5k games and I can say with out a shadow of a doubt that I've only used gold in one random game and then because I forgot to unload it from the CW the night before. I've got 3 T10s (4th should be done this weekend) and I got at least one top tier of every tank type and all were done with out gold ammo with out any problems. You do not under any circumstances need gold to play random games; if you think you do you'll be better of spending one night reading up on the WoT game mechanics for angling, armor thickness, weakspots etc. instead.
    I have no problem paying for a game until the actual cost becomes more than the perceived benefit, I found freeplay and premium in WoT just means being cheap kills for gold ammo players, premium made the grind faster but not enough to keep someone like me (a couple of hours, a few nights a week) playing.
    This is very much like Eve to be honest, you can quite easily master any given tank; the only benefit the guy playing more has is the option of more tanks to choose from but on any given tank you'll be just as powerful once you unlock all modules and unlike Eve it does not take you months to max out a single tank.

Nody wrote: »
    I've got over 8.5k games

You love and live the game - got that from you evangelical zeal in a thread about a different game!

For me to accumulate that much game time assuming 10 mins per game @ 2 hours per night, 3 nights a week would consume 4.5 years in order to get 3 and a bit top tier tanks probably more time as I would would not have the benefit of a clan/platoon/guild helping me to level.
    You do not under any circumstances need gold to play random games

Not to play - just to contribute more than padding XP for the other team, some people really like being the punching bag all the time, not me, and that is what playing a pay to win game without paying is, you are there to be rode, the skill of the game designer is to attract enough rabbits happy to take the crumbs dropped keeping it interesting enough for the real target market to pay to nail them.
    you'll be better of spending one night reading up on the WoT game mechanics for angling, armor thickness, weakspots etc. instead.

Done that - guess what, the only consistant thing that makes a consistant difference for an average player with a normal amount of time available is gold ammo. The game is designed that way so that you gain a significant advantage by paying extra, its the games business model.
    the only benefit the guy playing more has is the option of more tanks to choose from but on any given tank you'll be just as powerful once you unlock all modules.

And to get the most significant power-up you pay for gold ammo that gives you more damage and penetration, the delivery of which is the point of a tank. Having to pay extra for that capability is the definition of pay to win.

From a PS perspective with the "Fodder programme" you did not have pay to win, you had pay for more options and flexibility in using those options, but the basic player could use the same weapons as the premium player, they just didn't have the capability to have several different classes ready to roll, they instead had the inconvenience of forgetting certs and relearning over a multiday period.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

looks fantastic, I am loving the aesthetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Totalbiscuit has a new video up about the liberator gunship on this youtube channel.

Totalbiscuit has a new video up about the liberator gunship on this youtube channel.
    The ending of that video was great but I'm a bit worried about the customization options (esp. if the try to monetize them).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

but I'm a bit worried about the customization options (esp. if the try to monetize them).

Depends on how far they take monetisation I suppose. If it's like BattleField:Bad Company 2 or W40k: Space Marine where much of the DLC is cosmetic at best, I wont be kept awake at night worrying. If they start producing "I WIN" DLC then yes, it'll be bad for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Lemming wrote: »
    Depends on how far they take monetisation I suppose. If it's like BattleField:Bad Company 2 or W40k: Space Marine where much of the DLC is cosmetic at best, I wont be kept awake at night worrying. If they start producing "I WIN" DLC then yes, it'll be bad for the game.

It will be cosmetic only, no major company has gone for the "golden ammo" idea yet although a few have threatened

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

After trying to sort out my account today i am now very glad SOE won't be doing EU service for games in the future.

Also.

20120525_4fbfb8f8aabe9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Varik wrote: »
    After trying to sort out my account today i am now very glad SOE won't be doing EU service for games in the future.

Also.

20120525_4fbfb8f8aabe9.jpg
    Did they remove all old account or something? seems my account from ps1 is gone

I'll post this here as it's kinda relevant ( maybe, no idea if station cash will be used)

If the EverQuest 1 and 2 facebook pages each increase by 1000 likes by 17th of june, the players of each who've logged in since they went free to play get 500 station credits for each game.

100 sc = €1

Log into both and like both and that €10 credit ready for planetside 2 ( assuming it still uses station cash).

If you have a slow connection or low download limit then this is counter productive and you'd be better off ignoring this but if you can then €10 will likely get you something shiny when the game does come out.

VinLieger wrote: »
    It will be cosmetic only, no major company has gone for the "golden ammo" idea yet although a few have threatened

To an extent Battlestar Galactica Online did but you could still win against someone with the best ammo types if you had some skill, I cant see them doing it in planetside at all though. It will be more look and feel customization especially for vehicles and mex's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

To an extent Battlestar Galactica Online did but you could still win against someone with the best ammo types if you had some skill, I cant see them doing it in planetside at all though. It will be more look and feel customization especially for vehicles and mex's.

Yes but Battlestar isnt subsricption based, to clarify i meant no company asking for a subscription has gone down the golden ammo route yet

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes but Battlestar isnt subsricption based, to clarify i meant no company asking for a subscription has gone down the golden ammo route yet
    Ah my mistake, should have realised that.

Planetside 2 live stream with Matt Higby (creative director) and TotalBiscuit

starts in 10m at 12pm

http://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

Stream will likely be put up on youtube afterwards but here's some info

Demo was the latest build, but was a re-stream from SOE so lag was not game related but everything looks a bit nicer again with a few more UI elements and all cockpit now in it.

There's going to be extensive mod presence in the game, beware boosters.

Certs don't need to be reset and there is no limit but they are permanent so if you spend 100s on one weapon then you're not getting those points back.

Cert points are likely to be seen 1 point per 10 min avg and additional points are give for time even when offline so if you sign up and start then do not play for a month when you do come back you have some extra points. Real cash is not used to buy certs but you can get booster to increase the rate you earn them.

Resources are available to you based on your playing and the overall team as well.

Changing class does not cost, equipping weapons or attachment does not cost only consumables(includes vehicles) do cost resources. It's not decided if a MAX will cost.
    There are still timers to prevent a resources rich player buy a team full of tanks.

No lodestar yet for big transporting, no Advanced Mobile Station as pointed out but galaxy doe that now with the possibility of cloaking when deployed. Galaxy may or may not transport light vehicles but it'll likely be a spec with a trade off against something else.

Engineer ACE has a good range of options, including an emplaced turret to be used by any other player or you.

Possible tactic of capturing points with X resource can lead to the enemy being short on that which will reduce their spawning of deployable with those resources. Loadout may change cost but does not so far or may not at all due to player feedback.

Can fly really really high up to 1km up with a far draw distance.

Seen a zebra skinned MAX for NC, you can't look like another team and a lot follow your empires colours as well as silhouettes playing a part.

Female characters don't stand out due to normal armour, can't tell with max at all.

No jacking of vehicles but likely to be added with some changes made due to custom loadouts.

infiltrator can use better cloaking or better weapons including sniper.

more modern hit/kill/travel/, 1 hit kill head shots are possible lighter classes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The stream from above is on youtube now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

If you haven't already got your beta key yet, their official twitter account is giving out beta keys tonight via #BetaKeyBill

If you get a reply that's not a DM, be quick to enter it, apparently within 15 seconds is the record someones key was swiped by someone else lol :)

Advertisement