Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planetside 2

Options
  • 24-02-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Anyone gonna give PS2 a bash when it hits the shops?

http://www.planetside2.com/

Which Faction you gonna play? 78 votes

TR - Takes skill
    1% 1 vote
    NC - Easy Mode
    64% 50 votes
    VS - For those that like to pray and spray
    34% 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Anyone gonna give PS2 a bash when it hits the shops?

http://www.planetside2.com/

No chance in hell will I touch this when its released.

Seeing as how its an SOE game I will avoid it for at least 6 months or free trials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Yeah I will for sure.
    It'll be great fun with old platoons coming back together again after so many years since PS1.
    The game really depends on continuing high pops and SOE's ability to deal proper and fast with hackers, the gameplay should already be spot on.
    Really looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes, I was in PS1 as late as 6 months ago as the shakes came on me again so I'll join in on PS2 even though I don't have high hopes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I plan on being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Deffinitely gonna be playing this, have very fond memories of epic battles from PS1

• Advertisement

Apparently, original PlanetSide 1 players will get priority access to the upcoming beta.
    Here's hoping that holds true !

Also, PcGamer are giving out a priority beta code in their April issue - http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/15/pc-gamer-planetside-2-cover/

I hate the magazine but hey, if I don't get the beta code from being a PS1 player I might be tempted...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sweet news on PS1 vets getting priority access (if it's true).

I cut my MMO-teeth on PS1 so lots of fond memories indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Played PS1 for about 6 yrs, so im dying to hook up with the old outfit.

Cant wait for the drama on the forums Was one of the attractions of the game:P.

WoW is starting to become a little tedious, i need something to relight my passion for online gaming :D.

"I'm better than you!"

"You can't beat me."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Holy ****bags that looks brilliant. The day/night cycle looks amazing.

The biggest thing about that video is that this game *is actually happening* !!! No more wishful thinking hoping SOE actually get the finger out, it is going to come out ! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This is what came to my mind watching that (NSFW if you let it continue to play with sound)...

Have to say that gameplay footage does look awesome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

That's a massive improvement on the last game, still can't believe it'll finally be made! :D Barrell rolls in a Reaver or Mozzie...nice ;)

Those Magrider cannon shots looked savage at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looks a lot better than I imagined

Be interesting to see in AzK will come back under the same name, or will someone pick the name for pure badness:p.

Im hoping i wont have the same issues i had with PS1, low fps and really bad latency.

Azk, warping wall hugging bitch :(

++ rep for who ever made the poll :P

(I'll go with TR most likely as always; esp. if I can get my Burster MAX again...)

Stinky, the low fps and latency were fixed eventually when the game became vista/win7 compatible. That did take years though in fairness lol

• Advertisement

I added the poll for a dig at NC and VS - TR for life :D.

While i did start life as NC on Werner, i later joined TR and played with SoulReapers for most on my stay on PS.

@ Oxo - Things did improve slightly when i bought a new rig, but once they merged with the yank servers, it got all bad again.

Half of Azk kills where spawn camping with a scat max:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

While i did start life as NC on Werner, i later joined TR and played with SoulReapers for most on my stay on PS.

I started on a yank server I can't remember the name of, then switched swiftly thereafter to Werner & joined the Last Line Of Defense (LLOD) TR outfit.

Good times slapping barnies & smurfs :pac:

That video and others on YouTube related to it, did anyone else notice there seemed to be a hover jump type ability like the VS max used to have ? But for all infantry now!? Looked like it with some of the jumps performed, might be wrong though.

oxo_ wrote: »
    That video and others on YouTube related to it, did anyone else notice there seemed to be a hover jump type ability like the VS max used to have ? But for all infantry now!? Looked like it with some of the jumps performed, might be wrong though.

Its prolly for the VS, will help with their warping :p

Its prolly for the VS, will help with their warping :p

You should have seen me when I used to play TR, I'd run into a whole bunch of VS, left mouse click close my eyes for 5 seconds. Couldn't believe it worked so many times, man that heavy assault TR weapon was overpowered ! :pac:

oxo_ wrote: »
    You should have seen me when I used to play TR, I'd run into a whole bunch of VS, left mouse click close my eyes for 5 seconds. Couldn't believe it worked so many times, man that heavy assault TR weapon was overpowered ! :pac:
    All I'll say is Original AI pounder in a tower; now THAT was OP (and fun has heck!)...

NC had best splat max.

VS had best AA max.

TR had best AV max (went to crap after nerfs).

By the time i left PS, the only good thing a TR max was for - was giving NC and VS their Max Ach's.

I never took to TR maxes at any stage. Any time i wanted to cert max i either jumped onto NC or VS!

NC had best splat max.

VS had best AA max.

TR had best AV max (went to crap after nerfs).

By the time i left PS, the only good thing a TR max was for - was giving NC and VS their Max Ach's.

I never took to TR maxes at any stage. Any time i wanted to cert max i either jumped onto NC or VS!

Yeah the TR maxes pretty much sucked due to having to lock down to get a decent amount of dps out of them which also made them easy targets for everything else in the game :)

Saying that a TR AA max camping an air terminal could get you epic amounts of XP ;)

Spent so many hours playing a VS AA max. Easiest 2 points to spend, the rest didn't matter as I got so much fun out of taking down aircraft from on top a mountain above their flight height or just hidden in a tree :D

I agree the TR max's were the worst of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Apparently all light infantry get some sort of small jump jets now. I'm going to be TR myself, though I am irritated the bolt driver is now NC only. TR better get a proper sniper rifle, that's all I'm gonna say on the subject.

Advertisement