Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain alerts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

It would work at 9v but still waste a good bit of power. Eventually hope to have a nice portable 5 or 10w flexible panel. Cause you just wouldnt pick up the 30w one when you're going for a stroll

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

In aldi ,solid fuel hex cooker with 12 hex tablets reduced from E4.49 to E1.99.
    Box 8 hex tablets reduced from E1.99 to 99 cents.

These were left overs from the special buys from number of weeks ago not sold.
    So if your store has some left they are possibly reduced also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

funny, I just bought a spare 2e hexi stove about an hour ago.

3 or 4 left in carrigtwohill, no spare tabs though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

I saw a pic of one of those on the aldi website. It looks kind of small like church penny candles/tealights. What can you cook with only one tab ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I saw a pic of one of those on the aldi website. It looks kind of small like church penny candles/tealights. What can you cook with only one tab ?
    The tabs that come with the cooker are very small but the ones in the pack themselves are about 1.5 inch square and burn for about 9-12 minutes. Enough to boil a cup of water or heat a ration pack. Many a foil pack of baked beans and sausage iv cooked over the hexi cooker out on the ground :)

• Advertisement

Them tablets do burn quick.
    If you dig a small hole in ground and put the tablet in it less air with get at it and it lasts twice as long.
    Hole needs to be narrow so cup/pot fits on it but long enough to let some air in.
    Then put your pot or cup over the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Might be handy for someone stocking up. Lidl have some very nice tinned peeled plum tomatoes, something like 39 or 45c a can. Buy lots, can be used with a little garlic, olive oil, rashers and butter to make a very tasty pasta sauce. Or any other amount of different dishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

kidney beans at 17 cents a can in tesco. very cheap.great storage food.

at one a can a day thats only 62.o5 for a years supply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 PoloTops

Khannie wrote: »
    Mods: Feel free to remove if you like. This is more for alerts that are relevant to this forum.

Was in lidl yesterday and they have 3 for 2 on their own brand noodles. 40c for 3 packets of noodles. Pretty decent. They're not the tastiest noodles in the world, but it's a very good price.

There as good as more expensive ones in Marks and Spencer's and Superquinn etc there's nothing wrong with them

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

PoloTops wrote: »
    There as good as more expensive ones in Marks and Spencer's and Superquinn etc there's nothing wrong with them

True.

The curry flavour noodles are every bit as good as the McDonnell noodles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I get the Tesco Noodles for 15 cents each and they are grand must try the aldi/lidl ones

Fishimg and hunting gear in lidl tomorro might be useful to some of you lot, ill be gettin some stuff in the mornin myself

Fishimg and hunting gear in Aldi tomorro might be useful to some of you lot, ill be gettin some stuff in the mornin myself

Getting in there myself. The camo gear looks good.:D
    It's only showing the olive drab in the link
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week32Sunday12.htm

Naas and clane stores no camo gear :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    True.

The curry flavour noodles are every bit as good as the McDonnell noodles

I never tried the McDonnell Noodles as they are way too expensive. 1.20 euro for one as opposed to 20 cent for one in Aldi/Lidl. Even the very rare McDonnell half price sales still leave their noodles a multiple of the price. They better be mind blowing at those prices.

grapeape wrote: »
    I get the Tesco Noodles for 15 cents each and they are grand must try the aldi/lidl ones

The Tesco Noodles are grand but the 15 cent ones are smaller than the 20 cent ones so not sure if they are any better value for money per Kg.

Personally I find the Chicken Flavor noodles in Aldi/Lidl at 20 cent per packet to be the best. I find Aldi/Lidl curry flavor to be strangely tasteless. And other people I asked about this backed me up. So if you try them dont make any judgement until you try the chicken flavor !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tesco are selling off picnic stock at the moment, I picked up double pack of icepacks (very slim) for 85c. Lots of other bargains to be had. I suspect it's all stores selling them off.

Naas and clane stores no camo gear :(
    Only Olive Drab on the Naas Road in Dublin. Didn't try any other stores

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

does anyone else use the freebies thread to help stock their BOB?

I've gotten the following for free (both from the thread and at different promos):
    toothbrush
    toothpaste (travel size)
    sample shampoo / conditioner
    moisturiser
    soap
    hi vis jacket
    protein bar
    individually wrapped tea bags
    hi vis arm band
    keyring torch
    packets of coffee (individual servings)
    artificial sweetner
    high vis draw string bag
    etc.

Very good to stock up on little things, thought I'd mention it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Yes, though I'd prefer to purchase something of more 'quality' when it comes to a torch and other tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Yes, though I'd prefer to purchase something of more 'quality' when it comes to a torch and other tools.

The torch I mentioned is one of the small, single LED ones that charities and such sell for about €2, its not gonna help you find your way through a forest, but if the electricity goes and you need to get from your door to the press with the torch / candle etc. It'll do the job!

Just to clarify, I would never suggest that anyone replace good quality utilities with free giveaways. But to get your hands on a free bar of soap, high vis jacket or a free toothbrush won't go astray.

• Advertisement

Aldi have reduced the price of the itorch from 4.99E to 2.49E.

Wind up dynamo action.no batteries required.3 tritronic optimax led bulbs.

Cant go wrong with that price.
    These were left over from specials from about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Really nice canteens in the army surplus in middleton. Ex Sweedish army, Aluminium body, fabric jacket and a leather strap with a clip.

only 3euro!

editing in photos:

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0358.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Aldi are doing Tarps (4x3m €8) and tree saws (€3) next Thursday. Quality of saws are questionable at that price but always nice to have spares.

Lidl on 23rd august have a very similar saw for E3.49,identical maybe ?
    The teeth seem larger.
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_23739.htm
    • 18cm blade
    • High quality carbon steel saw blade
    • Safe handling with blade-lock and soft-grip handle
    • 2 year guarantee, VPAGS
    The Aldi one Danpad mentioned is below.
    http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23179.htm

I've the one with the larger teeth ,i got in either lidl or aldi years ago.
    Handle design was different.Quality was good.

I got 2 from either Lidl or Aldi a few years ago too.

Very impressed.

You'll fly through branches with them. I only tried branches up to an arms width, though.

They seem a bit flimsy at first, but the blades are great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Decent polytunnels on adverts.ie, good price too.
    http://www.adverts.ie/sheds-storage/polytunnel-8-2ft/1350811

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Danpad wrote: »
    Aldi are doing Tarps (4x3m €8) next Thursday.
    Choice of 1 no. (4 x 3m) or 2 no. (3 x 2m).

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23180.htm

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

Dunnes in tallaght are doing bargain camping gear 3 man tents for twelve quid. Sleeping mats only 3 euro picked up a couple of mats cheapest I have seen them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

wolfeye wrote: »
    Lidl on 23rd august have a very similar saw for E3.49,identical maybe ?
    The teeth seem larger.
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_23739.htm
    • 18cm blade
    • High quality carbon steel saw blade
    • Safe handling with blade-lock and soft-grip handle
    • 2 year guarantee, VPAGS
    The Aldi one Danpad mentioned is below.
    http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23179.htm

I've the one with the larger teeth ,i got in either lidl or aldi years ago.
    Handle design was different.Quality was good.
    Got the Lidl one - still plenty left. It's useful, and certainly value at that money.

Advertisement