Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

These crackerboxes sure look like fun :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Ok Fergal.......at your last launch we had photograpers,self inspired safety officials and the national press..............
    If this is your proposed crackerbox launch we need a wee bit more help!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

moonshadow wrote: »
    Ok Fergal.......at your last launch we had photograpers,self inspired safety officials and the national press..............
    If this is your proposed crackerbox launch we need a wee bit more help!!

Maybe just an ambulance and a rescue helicopter :D

Drilled out the hole for the prop shaft today, I had been putting it off a bit as there is no room for a mistake here.The angle was worked out from the engine setup and then marked on a bit of scrap wood where I drilled out a hole to take the extension bar holding the 2" bit, I also put a block of wood on the keel inside and out the same angle as the bit to give the tip a starting point and so it would not start walking when it came through.
    2011-12-05111738.jpg

All in all it went well except for the sawdust and smoke under the boat from drilling a 10" x 2" hole in mahogany while lying on your back, in the end it came out spot on target :D I now have to epoxy in a fiberglass tube to seal it up and then cut it down to size.
    2011-12-09162351.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

Well done. Definitely not a job you want to rework if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

im doing the opposite i have a prop shaft coming out and i want to blank it any idea whats best leave the pipe out and blank it or cut it out completly?

davlacey wrote: »
    im doing the opposite i have a prop shaft coming out and i want to blank it any idea whats best leave the pipe out and blank it or cut it out completly?

If you can get a wooden plug a bit bigger than the diameter of the hole on the outside of the hull, coat it in silicone or thickened epoxy and tap it in tight then cut off whats left and sand flush if it's a wooden boat and if it's fiberglass tap it in another 1/2" and fill the rest of the hole with thickened epoxy and sand.
    You can buy bags of plugs from marine shops or just make one.31t42wPuK7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

its a brass pipe thats threaded at both ends would i be better putting a nut on the inside of the boat and cuttting it flush with the hull or leave the pipe the way it is and just put 2 nuts each end? im afraid if i leave it sticking out it might ger damaged launching. it originally had a lister inboard but i took it out also have the rudder pipe to do something with heres a pic

its a brass pipe thats threaded at both ends would i be better putting a nut on the inside of the boat and cuttting it flush with the hull or leave the pipe the way it is and just put 2 nuts each end? im afraid if i leave it sticking out it might ger damaged launching. it originally had a lister inboard but i took it out also have the rudder pipe to do something with heres a pic

I would cut it off flush same with the rudder shaft or take them out all together if your never going back to an inboard, you should start your own post on what you are doing I would like to see how you get on :D

yea i think thats my plan ill cut them both flush. i probably will start my own post after christmas all im doing at the moment is scraping all the old paint off and sanding it back to bare fiberglass taking forever by hand

• Advertisement

yea i think thats my plan ill cut them both flush. i probably will start my own post after christmas all im doing at the moment is scraping all the old paint off and sanding it back to bare fiberglass taking forever by hand

I know how you feel I hate sanding :D

what way are u sealing the stearntube on it fergal mine was a grease system or are you using bearings

what way are u sealing the stearntube on it fergal mine was a grease system or are you using bearings

I'm using a grease filled one like this.

109654.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

Beautiful work - lovely to see the progress you have made!

what kind of rudder is this boat going to have any pics of what a finished boat will look like?

Hi davlacey I have two choices here and it will depend on how much room I have behind the prop, this is the one I have and hope to use.

2012-01-27161644.jpg

And if I end up tight for room I will make one like this.
    164847_196801890333976_133952219952277_832353_5941816_n.jpg

When she is finished she should look like this :D

pic517i2.jpg

pic517i3.jpg

i see think the first one might be a bit tight.. do you have a prop shaft and propeller i traded an inboard with prop shaft looks like it was the same size as the boat in the pic shaft and propeller where solid brass

I have a 13x13 4 blade prop that should do I have to make a new strut to bring down the angle and may have to shave the prop to 12" so it's not too close to the hull, it will all be fun and games to get everything right :D

2011-11-09160255.jpg

I have made up a new strut now and it seems to be a better fit
    2011-12-07112720.jpg

2012-02-081127331.jpg

2012-02-081204251.jpg

I still have to sink it down a bit and fiberglass up the holes but I think it will be fine giving me the 2" gap from the prop to the hull.

2012-02-13112902.jpg
    Next job is to fit the rudder "it will be tight" and then sand the boat down and do 3-4 more coats of paint.
    2012-02-13112921.jpg

Just drilled another hole for the rudder "I think it will work out ok" :D

2012-02-13165310.jpg

your doing great work when do you think it will be finished? the new rudder looks the part alright

• Advertisement

your doing great work when do you think it will be finished? the new rudder looks the part alright

Cheers, I hope to finnish this summer if everything goes to plan but then again nothing to do with boats goes to plan. :D

fergal where did u get the brass fin im looking for one a bit bigger though

fergal where did u get the brass fin im looking for one a bit bigger though

I got them off the donor ski boat, they were a bit bigger and I cut them down to size, If you had asked me two weeks ago I could have given you two of them as I left them sitting on the boat when I sold it.
    They would be easy to make out of stainless steal.

yea plan to make one just wanted a picture to copy the design,there is a boat like your building on adverts for 50k

yea plan to make one just wanted a picture to copy the design,there is a boat like your building on adverts for 50k

There are a few here that might give you an idea. http://www.boatdesigns.com/Fins/products/61/

He has been selling that boat for a few years now it's a bit much for a real Chris craft let alone a Glen-l :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

Fergal,
    You are putting together a lovely job there. I just noticed your post 80 above where you show the shortened strut holding the prop shaft to the keel. I am sure you are fully taking into account the need to have the end face of the prop shaft mating fairly with the rotating face from the engine transmission ( pardon my terminology) - you can not afford to have any play in that at all. Anyway you are going so well i have no doubt you have that covered.

Good luck

orion50 wrote: »
    Fergal,
    You are putting together a lovely job there. I just noticed your post 80 above where you show the shortened strut holding the prop shaft to the keel. I am sure you are fully taking into account the need to have the end face of the prop shaft mating fairly with the rotating face from the engine transmission ( pardon my terminology) - you can not afford to have any play in that at all. Anyway you are going so well i have no doubt you have that covered.

Good luck

Cheers I think I have it sorted "I hope":D the strut won't be fixed in place till after the engine is in, there has never been one built with a gearbox before as they were all direct drive so a lot of figuring out to do with the added weight and trying to keep the center of gravity. Time will tell whether it's :eek: or :D

A bit of fine weather today so out with the varnish :) this is more for UV protection to stop the wood from fading with the sun light. I will be doing another 6 coats when she is turned over and I have the deck done just incase it gets any dings or scratches along the way.

2012-03-23150646.jpg

2012-03-23150616.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Looks lovely. Do you have much work left to do before you flip her over?

• Advertisement

Cheers, I'm just going to 1500 wet sand the red paint and polish it up and then flip it over onto the trailer " that's going to be fun " Next step then is to fit the engine and hardware and have a little test run to the delight of the neighbours :D

Advertisement