Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As teenagers...

• 31-01-2009 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

... do any of you hate teenagers in general? Speaking as a teenager, I f*cking hate them. Just wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Yep! Hate them with a passion. But I'm almost not a teenager anymore.

Then again I've hated them since I was about 16. So many are just horrid creatures and idiots with no minds of their own. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

cautioner wrote: »
    ... do any of you hate teenagers in general? Speaking as a teenager, I f*cking hate them. Just wondering.

So.....your are a teenager......you hate teenagers.....therefor you despise yourself?

Tbh the only thing i hate is the whole idea of how your whole life revolves around getting hammered every weekend seems pointless to me.

I just really really dislike those girls who are perfectly intelligent but act like bimbos because they think it's cute or sexy or attractive.

There are a huge number of teenagers who are intelligent and witty and wonderful people to talk to. Then there are those who give the rest of us a bad name. The ones who go out and get rat-arsed and stoned off their asses every night and act the bollocks. Those "oooh a garda/teacher/adult/old person/anyone at all, i must abuse them because i'm dead cool i am" types. You know the types. Gobsh*tes.

Drives me demented.

I think I'm getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I'm not prejudiced, I hate graphites of all ages :D (on advice from my spellshecker I've decided to introduce some new cultural slang. graphite instead of gobsh*te, rubadub - pub, busy bee - theory of relativity. It'll catch on, right?)

But yes, an awful lot of people in the growing up phase seem to act the maggot and all around compete for the price of pissing me off the most...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I used to hate typical teenagers.

Now that I'm in college, I hate typical students.

And when I really think about it, it's not that I hate them individually, it's the whole herd mentality which plays out in front of my eyes which I abhor.

It's not just the typical ones though. There are many smaller groups which exhibit blatant and extremely irritating stereotypes also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Eugene Rancid Spaceship

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I used to hate typical teenagers.

Now that I'm in college, I hate typical students.

And when I really think about it, it's not that I hate them individually, it's the whole herd mentality which plays out in front of my eyes which I abhor.

It's not just the typical ones though. There are many smaller groups which exhibit blatant and extremely irritating stereotypes also.

What's a "typical stydent Like"??????????:confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What's a "typical stydent Like"??????????:confused:

Like a typical teenager, but with more facial hair, a driver's licence and legal permission to drink :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

As a teenager I hated everyone. So yes, I hated other teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nah I don't really. I dislike large groups of large people, and a lot of teenagers fall into that group, but it doesn't mean I dislike teenagers as a whole. (Cos I know my group can be very shrill at times...)

I dislike a lot of mentalities too, and unfortunately these mentalities seem to be quite prevelant in teenagers who are getting to grips with the world and their place in it, and is also quite prevalent in students too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

in school, i disliked most teenagers. i was very much an outsider, and hated the herd mentality, and how it was totally ok to pick on me because i was different/whatever. the lads i particularly disliked.

by the time i finished school though, and had made more friends etc, and went to college, i generally found lads to be grand, and it was girls in general i disliked. which was not a good thing, as i picked social care in college, a year of 40, with 38 girls and 2 guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭DenMan

As a teeneager I hated groups of people, especially sheep who blindly became part of that group to fit in at school. I was never like that and it got me into a lot of trouble. However I was an outsider and grew to hate a lot of teenagers. I didn't hate all of them, musicians, poets, writers and anybody who is able to express themselves amid diversity I always got on well with and liked them for who they were.

Rave culture I despised. Now more than ever. Boy Racers I also cannot stand. Idiot teens racing about in their suped up cars with no regard for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I'm much the same.. I seemd the gazelle type, I followed my own instincts and yes, it got me into trouble - well it got me bullied!!

I haven't had any extreme revelations though. I'm still who I am and I'm very proud of that and where I'm from and of my family. Life is what it is.

Same here dancingqueen. It got me bullied too, but that's a different story altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I haven't liked teenagers since I was 14, which is the main reason that school is a nightmare... They're all just so loud and obnoxious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Er, I think most people say they hate teenagers just because they were bullied at school and didn't fit in. Me and my friends are in between swots and ''the plastics''. We do like to look good and have nice make-up and hair but we don't dress like sluts like the plastics. We don't stay up all night studying and get As like swots but we do try and do ok. So no I don't hate teenagers, I'm not a loner like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Er, I think most people say they hate teenagers just because they were bullied at school and didn't fit in. Me and my friends are in between swots and ''the plastics''. We do like to look good and have nice make-up and hair but we don't dress like sluts like the plastics. We don't stay up all night studying and get As like swots but we do try and do ok. So no I don't hate teenagers, I'm not a loner like.

What? I was never bullied. All the teenagers I know are just really immature and loud. I'm also not a "loner", I have a lot of aquaintances and a couple of really good friends, they're just not in secondary school. All my brothers and sisters are a few years older than me so I've always been pretty mature for my age and I just don't enjoy teenagers.

This isn't about being bullied or being in the "plastics", some people just don't like to be around [sweeping generalisation]immature brats[/generalisation]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can't say anything bad about being a teenager. Everything is fine once you don't act like a stuck up dick. If you hate people just say hi and all will be OK. If I wasn't a teenager nothing good or fun would happen on Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I secretly harbour a great dislike for everybody because they're not me. :pac:

DenMan wrote: »
    Rave culture I despised. Now more than ever.
    Can I ask why, and what your perception of "Rave culture" is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLUR

Can I ask why, and what your perception of "Rave culture" is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLUR

Well in my secondary school about 80% of the students were into a lot of dance and trance at the time, and those who weren't were known as "misfits". Looking back at it now it sounds really stupid. Acid and E's were always available and those not on it were beaten. It was a rough school and I got my fair share of being bullied but I stood up for myself. I didn't like dance music and wasn't a raver. My rave experiences weren't good and I did my utmost not to fit in.

Anybody have good rave experiences?

• Advertisement

As a teeneager I hated groups of people, especially sheep who blindly became part of that group to fit in at school. I was never like that and it got me into a lot of trouble. However I was an outsider and grew to hate a lot of teenagers. I didn't hate all of them, musicians, poets, writers and anybody who is able to express themselves amid diversity I always got on well with and liked them for who they were.

Boy Racers I also cannot stand. Idiot teens racing about in their suped up cars with no regard for anyone else.

I disliked those sheep people too, they were awful. But with the musicians and poets and writers, I often didn't like them either. I'm a musician myself but I found I couldn't stand the pretention and snobbery that often surrounded those people. Take themselves too seriously and think the sun, moon and stars shine out of their posterior. Also those types that go "Oh my god you listen to <insert band here>, you have the worst taste in music". Spanners.

And boy racers are hated by everyone. I hated them when I couldn't drive. Now that I'm fully licenced and have my own car I hate them even more.

Eh, no. I wasn't bullied in school. I didn't dress like a slut, I didn't go out looking like I was dragged through a bush backwards. I got good grades in school and I'm not a loner. I have some amazing friends and a fantastic boyfriend.

Just cos I think too many teenagers act like retards cos they think it's cool doesn't mean i was a loner/loser/nerd/swot/bullied/ugly. What on earth makes you think that you have to be a loner/loser/nerd/swot/bullied/ugly to hate teenagers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

There's a quote by Philip Larkin "I used to think I hated people. Then I got older and realised I just hated children" .. ho ho ho, seems it was relevant, although it seems unlikely anyone puts any value on Philip Larkin's opinion on these matters.

My own opinion on the matter is that people should really look at their criticisms of all these groups that they're not in, and try to apply it to themselves. 99% of the time the generalisations which apply to one group apply just as much to another.

An example, is you have "the sheep" who go out and dress the same as each other but then a few lines down you have "the biggots" who judge people because of how they dress. "like other people" is just another "how they dress", so really you fall under your own category there. For alot of people, how they dress isn't that important, so the generic clothes of their social subgroup would be the "I don't care what I wear" clothes. Those people could be thinking all sorts of whacky things in their heads.

Also, in Baldur's Gate-the throne of bhall (an epic RPG), they quote nietzche, and then add on a bit: "Those who fight monsters should beware that they do not become monsters themselves, for when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares into you". Now I don't claim to fully understand this nietzche part, but the baldur's gate writers probably do, and it seems to make sense too. The first part my be a reference to plato too. Anyway, you can see how this applies to people saying how thye "hate sheep" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I hate teenagers because they feel they need to be heard and not seen

1. On the luas/bus or public transport they are always loud. Girls with d4 accents, Daddy this and mammy that, boys talking about sex(like they have had any)
    2. I don't understand the need to fit with the crowd, smoking/drinking in school uniforms
    3. Make up, jeez need i say more

raah! wrote: »
    Also, in Baldur's Gate-the throne of bhall (an epic RPG),
    I stopped reading at this point. :pac:

Well in my secondary school about 80% of the students were into a lot of dance and trance at the time, and those who weren't were known as "misfits". Looking back at it now it sounds really stupid. Acid and E's were always available and those not on it were beaten. It was a rough school and I got my fair share of being bullied but I stood up for myself. I didn't like dance music and wasn't a raver. My rave experiences weren't good and I did my utmost not to fit in.
    That's not rave culture, that's scumbag culture.
    Anybody have good rave experiences?
    Yup.... Life Festival last year in particular. Dancing the night away and into the early hours of the morning along with hundreds of others and with nothing but peaceful and happy vibes from anyone (apart from some of the asshole security guards).

"Rave" shouldn't be confused with "scumbag". A lot of scumbags might be into crap commercial dance music, but this isn't rave culture. Rave is about what I linked to earlier - Peace, Love, Unity and Respect. It's about dancing, respecting each other and having a good time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's not rave culture, that's scumbag culture.
    Yup.... Life Festival last year in particular. Dancing the night away and into the early hours of the morning along with hundreds of others and with nothing but peaceful and happy vibes from anyone (apart from some of the asshole security guards).

"Rave" shouldn't be confused with "scumbag". A lot of scumbags might be into crap commercial dance music, but this isn't rave culture. Rave is about what I linked to earlier - Peace, Love, Unity and Respect. It's about dancing, respecting each other and having a good time.

Sounds like a discussion on hippy culture tbh.
    Rave culture, in mainstream media at least, has always been linked much more closely with drug abuse and over-crowded buildings than with peace and love. Perhaps, once upon a time, idealists had a different vision for it...

Fair enough with promoting peace but love, unity and respect?

That's a bit weird isn't it? I can't just love something, I can tolerate it, sure, but love? Never.

Unity is too easily abused by some asshole with charisma. And as for respect, none of you deserve my respect. None of you!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Davidius wrote: »
    I stopped reading at this point. :pac:

heh heh, well it's a valid interpretation of that nietzche quote, and that's a really good game. And at least that part's near the end :). It's really rather ridiculous though, I see your point, now that I read over it, but I were mildly intoxicated at the time and that's a more than acceptable excuse. That and I'm a nerd :P

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Sounds like a discussion on hippy culture tbh.
    Rave culture, in mainstream media at least, has always been linked much more closely with drug abuse and over-crowded buildings than with peace and love. Perhaps, once upon a time, idealists had a different vision for it...
    The early rave scene (late 80s, early 90s), in many ways, was very similar to the hippy scene, and they are often compared, for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Summer_of_Love .

Mainstream media distorts the meaning of words like "rave". It's the same with "goth", "emo", "indie", etc. Personally, I hate it being used to mean scumbags getting "maaooouuuvih" and dancing to some sh!tty commercial dance music as much as someone into the goth subculture would hate goths being thought of as immature attention seekers wearing black.

Advertisement