Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

if it's as bad as 8 was i'll pass - the same way i passed on winMe, 2k XP and vista in favour of 98 for donkeys years

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Too early to say. If its good, I will jump on it from 7. Most likely I will get a brand new ssd with though as my OS ssd is only 60gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Windows 8 already loads faster than 7 and doesn't appear to run games any less poorly. You can be guaranteed Dx12 won't be supported by Windows 7, Microsoft has purposefully made no statement about it one way or another and this close to a new OS launch - yeah, its not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Microsoft been dun' goofing a lot lately. W10 will have what? Ctrl+V in command prompt? Uh... thanks? And finally auto detects whether or not to load the dumb ass touch screen interface or desktop mode based on hardware? Well that is extremely basic and should've been in W8.

The fact that W7/8 aren't getting DX12 but W10 and the bloody Xbox One are really shows MC don't give a feck about us.

I feel no real rush to get W10, hell I've been considering dual booting to Linux and only using windows for gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Windows 8.1 is great, i dont use the tile bull**** so its a turbo version of windows 7 to me as it operates exactly the same once you bypass the metro tile crap apart from games performing better,no going back to 7 after 8.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm running Win 8.1 since I got an SSD earlier this year and have no problems with it once I installed Classic Shell to get that utterly pointless Metro interface. I also needed to remove the fullscreen Skype app, it was just awful having things take over full screens and not letting me have actual WINDOWS of info (and this is a man with 3 screens, I wasn't stuck for places to put it).

I'm not fussed about Win 10, but it was nice to see them acknowledge just how annoying and poorly thought out their design and UI decisions were with Win 8 for those of us who didn't run out to buy a Surface (which is by all accounts a brilliant bit of kit to give them their dues).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I'm on 7. I would like to be able to change my sound output using a hot key, as I change it frequently depending on the content I'm using. It's a pain to have to click the Sound manager and select Playback devices, select the output and click the Set default button. I would also like a shortcut to swap the Desktop from one display to the other. My screens aren't beside each other. It can be done now but you have to cycle through the options on the screen I can't currently see and select the other screen. Just let me keep hitting the shortcut until I get the desired result. I hope I can have a separate Desktop on each screen on 10. I would also like them to fix auto sleep/hibernation. Every now and then I wake to find my PC didn't sleep as it was configured to, such as after media has finished playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

If I can get a cheap enough upgrade I will probably get Windows 10 (7 atm)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I'm on 7. I would like to be able to change my sound output using a hot key, as I change it frequently depending on the content I'm using. It's a pain to have to click the Sound manager and select Playback devices, select the output and click the Set default button. I would also like a shortcut to swap the Desktop from one display to the other. My screens aren't beside each other. It can be done now but you have to cycle through the options on the screen I can't currently see and select the other screen. Just let me keep hitting the shortcut until I get the desired result. I hope I can have a separate Desktop on each screen on 10. I would also like them to fix auto sleep/hibernation. Every now and then I wake to find my PC didn't sleep as it was configured to, such as after media has finished playing.

You can do that with the sound, I have it set as my PC is beside the Main TV so handy swap when watching movies.

When I get home later I will post how to do it.

You can also switch monitors its windows key Left and Right (handy for moving programs between monitors. But the below makes that useless as it remembers what screen you want programs to be on.

For the dual monitor I would suggest this

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-extend-task-bar-across-multiple-monitors-in-windows-7/

Quite handy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

weisses wrote: »
    If I can get a cheap enough upgrade I will probably get Windows 10 (7 atm)
    Same here but I might wait until next major PC upgrade (a year or two down the line) to get the worst bugs out of the way.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You can do that with the sound, I have it set as my PC is beside the Main TV so handy swap when watching movies.

When I get home later I will post how to do it.

You can also switch monitors its windows key Left and Right (handy for moving programs between monitors. But the below makes that useless as it remembers what screen you want programs to be on.

For the dual monitor I would suggest this

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-extend-task-bar-across-multiple-monitors-in-windows-7/

Quite handy.

If you could let me know that would be cool. I heard they purposely gimped the sound control for some reason or another.

If I hold the Win Key and use the arrows it moves the selected program to the other screen. I want the entire desktop to move. I'll look at the link you posted as it would seem to offer a solution. Thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

A friend of mine linked me to this but I haven't had a chance to run it myself. http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/ It's for assigning specific apps to specific sound outputs, so I can send a game to my headphones whilst sending the audio from Media Player Classic to my surround speakers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

if it's as bad as 8 was i'll pass - the same way i passed on winMe, 2k XP and vista in favour of 98 for donkeys years

What's wrong with Windows 8/8.1? Great OS IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

justjustin wrote: »
    What's wrong with Windows 8/8.1? Great OS IMO.

Someone heard from someone they know that their cousin said it was crap, so you know, it must be!

I think the reason most people dislike 8 is because desktops are designed for use with a mouse. M$ made a critical error by insisting people use an interface designed for touch with a mouse. Even if you have a touch enabled laptop, it feel's impractical to move from a touch pad to a touch screen on the fly. The whole thing is even more absurd when you take Win RT into account, which was designed to run on tablets powered by ARM processors instead of x86 processors. RT was an OS for tablets that is incompatible with desktops so making two different OS for tablets and laptops/desktops but forcing everybody to use a touch interface is just silly. Of course, using third party software you could add a more traditional interface but the whole project was tarnished by the impracticality of it. Sometimes I think M$ market poor OS's just to fix problems that shouldn't need to be fixed for the next release.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Of course, using third party software you could add a more traditional interface but the whole project was tarnished by the impracticality of it.

I just find it funny when people say that it's a crap OS on tech or gaming forums and that the majority of the time, when asked, their reason is that they don't like the start menu, which can be replaced by installing one free, open source program.
    I find it performs better than Windows 7 for me and has some features built in natively that negate the need for 3rd party apps to be installed to add functionality, e.g. mounting ISOs, SSD Trim
    I realise of course that a lot of people may be unaware of the likes of Classic Shell, but on a tech or PC gaming forum, I think it's a little unfair to class the OS on the whole as 'crap' because of a feature that can easily be replaced and never seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

RopeDrink wrote: »
    NOTE:

This is PC Gaming, folks.
    Feel free to compare operating systems in the appropriate forum - Cheers.

And what do Gaming PCs run on?

DX is kind a big thing with PC Gaming......

Seeing as we are relocated, I'll just add that M$ could have addressed the issue with an option for a more traditional interface in 8.1, but choose instead to flog the horse until the next big release. Poor show IMO.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a plan to introduce an option to change the shell on certain platforms - IIRC it was something like Windows Server wouldn't be getting the Modern UI, desktop users would have the choice of whether to use it or not (possibly laptop too, depending on the hardware I suppose) and tablets would be forced onto Modern UI (though tbh I have a windows 8 tablet and the UI is really good there - I've got an active stylus as I anticipated needing it, but I only ever use it for drawing).

Thus far the Enterprise tech preview is nice but barring PowerShell 5 I've not seen any substantial differences aside from changing the Start Screen into a tiled version of the Windows 7 Start Menu. I'm hoping Windows Store app updates can be integrated into Windows Update - I know there are some group polices governing app updates, but it's a bit of a faff having Windows Update for the OS & MS desktop apps, then the Windows Store for apps. A centralised mechanism for controlling updates would be useful.

Seeing as we are relocated, I'll just add that M$ could have addressed the issue with an option for a more traditional interface in 8.1, but choose instead to flog the horse until the next big release. Poor show IMO.

Uh... The move from 8/8.1 to 10 is going to be incredibly cheap: it will definitely be a free update to anyone who bought a retail license of either 8 or 8.1 and the price for OEM or 7 upgrades is not yet clear but its rumored it may be free for OEM 8/8.1 as well, or sufficiently stupidly cheap. Like in the order of $20.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Uh... The move from 8/8.1 to 10 is going to be incredibly cheap: it will definitely be a free update to anyone who bought a retail license of either 8 or 8.1 and the price for OEM or 7 upgrades is not yet clear but its rumored it may be free for OEM 8/8.1 as well, or sufficiently stupidly cheap. Like in the order of $20.

That may be so, but to be honest I think a lot of mainstream customers have put up with this bad design long enough. I imagine if it wasn't free many people would be looking for an alternative OS for their next PC/Laptop. It sure makes Mac look better. It should be obvious to anybody who has been computing for at least the naughties that the UI in Win 8 was a ridiculous design and did very little for PC's in general. Nobody could seriously choose Win 8 in a business environment, so the whole charade was never going to fly this time.

Mac might 'look' better, but it's still only available on Apple hardware and has a string of limitations for enterprises that I can only guess at frankly; the cost of migrating a business from windows to mac would be surely horrifying

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That may be so, but to be honest I think a lot of mainstream customers have put up with this bad design long enough. I imagine if it wasn't free many people would be looking for an alternative OS for their next PC/Laptop. It sure makes Mac look better. It should be obvious to anybody who has been computing for at least the naughties that the UI in Win 8 was a ridiculous design and did very little for PC's in general. Nobody could seriously choose Win 8 in a business environment, so the whole charade was never going to fly this time.

The Win8 UI was part of a strategy to unify the underlying codebase across various MS platforms. I think they didn't plan correctly (WinRT is pointless and should have basically been skipped in place of Windows Phone 8, and on non-touch systems the Modern UI should be optional) but as one responsible for not only using but rolling out Windows 8 in my last workplace I can assure you that it's not the fiasco many such as yourself insist on proclaiming. Some suitable customisation via domain-level group policy, a little bit of end user training and at most a 1-page cheatsheet on what's new and on you go. Only very foolhardy enterprises would jump from Windows to OS X on a whim; there are all sorts of hidden costs to any such transitions and in any case from a professional perspective there are downsides to going with Mac (ever tried to get a guaranteed next-day repair from Apple, much less guaranteed next-day onsite? I have, and it makes collecting rocking horse poop look easy).

Now, businesses who need to get applications ratified for compliance reasons might not be entirely happy with the "Is 8.1 a service pack or not?" question, but that's very different.

I didn't say business users would switch to Mac. I said some mainstream users would find Mac more attractive after using Win 8 for the last couple of years. Then I made the point that M$ had to "fix" Win 9 because Professionals wouldn't use 8 in a serious environment by patching in a third party interface, so Win 9 had to have the start button/menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

davo2001 wrote: »
    Someone heard from someone they know that their cousin said it was crap, so you know, it must be!
    Well I've used 8/8.1 and have it as a triple boot with 7 and now 10 tech preview and it's poor enough, I only have it because my 11 year old likes it, as for 10 I actually like it, it's what 8.1 should have been and as it's in beta it can only get better, but it's going to take a hell of a lot more to make me switch from 7.

You'll switch. The only thing holding people back is Start, and that is addressed.

I didn't say business users would switch to Mac. I said some mainstream users would find Mac more attractive after using Win 8 for the last couple of years. Then I made the point that M$ had to "fix" Win 9 because Professionals wouldn't use 8 in a serious environment by patching in a third party interface, so Win 9 had to have the start button/menu.

Depends on what kind of professional you mean - working with Windows infrastructure I found that the massive increase in PowerShell functionality in Windows 8/8.1 more than made up for the small time required to learn how to tweak the Modern UI interface to suit me.

Having said that, I'd be very interested in seeing figures about the uptake of 8 in the corporate environment. We're a little over 5 years on from Windows 7 launching, and I'd normally expect that to mean that most BigCo type environments would now be most of the way through migrating to 7 as the standard platform, and any jump to 8/8.1 would probably not start for another year yet. (This is based on what I saw with 2K, XP and Vista while working support for a multinational a few years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

You'll switch. The only thing holding people back is Start, and that is addressed.
    I probably will switch as I said I like it a lot, hopefully it won't be expensive to switch from 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Actually what I'd be interested in is an option to buy/license it in the same way as you can get Office through the Office.com/365 model.

For my tenner per month I can install the full Office suite on up to 5 machines/users, get increased OneDrive space for each user, Office on mobile and importantly any updates or new versions are included as well.

If I could get Windows 10 under the same model/price structure I'd probably go for it... I change/reload machines a lot and this would suit me a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Actually what I'd be interested in is an option to buy/license it in the same way as you can get Office through the Office.com/365 model.

For my tenner per month I can install the full Office suite on up to 5 machines/users, get increased OneDrive space for each user, Office on mobile and importantly any updates or new versions are included as well.

If I could get Windows 10 under the same model/price structure I'd probably go for it... I change/reload machines a lot and this would suit me a lot better.

That's actually a pretty good idea, office is very good value at the moment for what you get. I get a lot of use out of the 1tb Onedrive and the Skype is handy.
    Going down the subscription route might cut down on Windows piracy as well by not charging a bigger amount up front.

Advertisement