Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Diesel car

• 02-06-2021 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I called in here a few years ago and picked up my first car. Got some great help then. currently looking at upgrading a bit. I would love to own an Audi / BMW for a couple of years. Been looking at Audi A4's last few weeks. Bit of speed and comfort after driving a 1L petrol. I'm buying cash after a trade in and I am more buying for the craic than the necessity, I just want a nice car really (suggestions welcome).

My question is, my driving is approx 13k KM a year but slowly going up year on year. For context, at least one to two of these drives a week is ~100-200km journey. Is this enough to keep a diesel going without too many issues?

Another question is I sometimes have to go away for work, can last two days, could last a month, sometimes I've done 3 months away. It's picking up more now as covid goes away, is a diesel in the drive a disaster or will having someone run her out on the motorway for 40/50km a week while I'm gone keep it going? Many thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭User1998

A 100km motorway journey every week is more than enough the prevent DPF issues.

Leaving your car sitting for a month won’t effect the DPF, driving it around the city is what effects the DPF. There are obviously other issues with letting a car sit for a month but nothing really diesel related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Hey all, I called in here a few years ago and picked up my first car. Got some great help then. currently looking at upgrading a bit. I would love to own an Audi / BMW for a couple of years. Been looking at Audi A4's last few weeks. Bit of speed and comfort after driving a 1L petrol. I'm buying cash after a trade in and I am more buying for the craic than the necessity, I just want a nice car really (suggestions welcome).

My question is, my driving is approx 13k KM a year but slowly going up year on year. For context, at least one to two of these drives a week is ~100-200km journey. Is this enough to keep a diesel going without too many issues?

Another question is I sometimes have to go away for work, can last two days, could last a month, sometimes I've done 3 months away. It's picking up more now as covid goes away, is a diesel in the drive a disaster or will having someone run her out on the motorway for 40/50km a week while I'm gone keep it going? Many thanks in advance for any help!

An A4 or BMW 3 series diesel are nothing special to own in fairness I'd stick with what you got and do something fun with the money instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Car99 wrote: »
    An A4 or BMW 3 series diesel are nothing special to own in fairness I'd stick with what you got and do something fun with the money instead.

I'm thinking comfort wise over a rattly 1L on the motorway as well tho.... The long drive burns serious fuel on the weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

The only problem with leaving a car for a period is the 12v battery might die but I doubt it with only 3 months. I wouldn't leave it full of fuel but no idea if that is just a tale or not.

You only live once so yes go with BMW or Audi. Both are lovely to drive and you will like the interior. Which one depends on the buyer to be honest, some prefer Audi and some prefer BMW. Its down to personal taste.

I wouldn't worry about it, bang away and get yourself a nice motor.

User1998 wrote: »
    A 100km motorway journey every week is more than enough the prevent DPF issues.

Leaving your car sitting for a month won’t effect the DPF, driving it around the city is what effects the DPF. There are obviously other issues with letting a car sit for a month but nothing really diesel related

Cheers, I mean I would be doing a good few short drives in the car during the week with the longer drive or two mixed in. I dunno whats best really. I just want a change and that bit more power and comfort on the longer drives.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I mean I would be doing a good few short drives in the car during the week with the longer drive or two mixed in. I dunno whats best really. I just want a change and that bit more power and comfort on the longer drives.

I drove diesels for years in around cities because that is all you could buy in Ireland, also had petrols as well mind you.

You shouldnt' have any issues

ineedeuro wrote: »
    The only problem with leaving a car for a period is the 12v battery might die but I doubt it with only 3 months. I wouldn't leave it full of fuel but no idea if that is just a tale or not.

You only live once so yes go with BMW or Audi. Both are lovely to drive and you will like the interior. Which one depends on the buyer to be honest, some prefer Audi and some prefer BMW. Its down to personal taste.

I wouldn't worry about it, bang away and get yourself a nice motor.

Cheers that's my thinking as well, worked hard for the money, might as well get myself something nice. My current car has only died once from the sitting around so not too bothered about that issue, was the diesel side of things that was getting to me..

I drove diesels for years in around cities because that is all you could buy in Ireland, also had petrols as well mind you.

You wont have any issues

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Depending on budget, buying an older A4 or BMW privately could lead to big bills. (Search google for known issues)

But if buying with warranty & service history then that would stand to you.
    Both can be expensive brands for genuine parts.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

You wont have any issues

Yeah my friend is driving a diesel and only does a 30km round trip a day,never had issues. Just want to see if anyone has anything contrary about my specific situation.

• Advertisement

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Depending on budget, buying an older A4 or BMW privately could lead to big bills. (Search google for known issues)

But if buying with warranty & service history then that would stand to you.
    Both can be expensive brands for genuine parts.

I would be going through a dealer with warranty, somewhere on the 2015/16/17 mark possibly.

I would be going through a dealer with warranty, somewhere on the 2015/16/17 mark possibly.

Im in process of buying a new(to me) car, will be Audi or BMW. Depending on garage will have a 1 or a 2 year warranty. Im going to take out extended warranty off one of the companies that does it.

I have had it on last few cars via Windsor so I just like the safety net. For a couple of hundred quid it can be worth it. I know first time I took it out after the garage warranty something went bang, it would have cost 700 quid to repair but was covered. So that one fix alone made the warranty worth it. Now the current car I have I never used it, might be seen as a waste of money

https://www.agnewcars.com/audi/used-car-details/used-audi-a4-saloon-sport-14-tfsi-150-ps--saloon-tango-red-metallic-manual-petrol/id-1895232193374/

Is it worth my while pursuing something from the north like above? Low mileage and low price but would vrt even it?

https://www.agnewcars.com/audi/used-car-details/used-audi-a4-saloon-sport-14-tfsi-150-ps--saloon-tango-red-metallic-manual-petrol/id-1895232193374/

Is it worth my while pursuing something from the north like above? Low mileage and low price but would vrt even it?

I think it is not just VRT you have to pay now, not sure but because UK is out of Euro I think you have to pay somehting else

I think it is not just VRT you have to pay now, not sure but because UK is out of Euro I think you have to pay somehting else

If car is in North prior to Dec 31st 2020 I think you avoid some charges but others will know better.

If car is in North prior to Dec 31st 2020 I think you avoid some charges but others will know better.

Ahh right, I ended up buying in South because I didn't want to start messing in North, just seemed a lot of gotchas

On researching, it is the other way around. Car has to have been registered there after the 31st 2020. That's hard to fathom with those cars? Looks like it is a bit of a minefield alright.

Afternoon again all, I've test driven a few cars. Have my eye on one, approved used, question is would you have a mechanic look over the car or trust it coming from a main dealer? It drove fine when I tested it.

Afternoon again all, I've test driven a few cars. Have my eye on one, approved used, question is would you have a mechanic look over the car or trust it coming from a main dealer? It drove fine when I tested it.

Whats the warranty on it? depends on main dealer as well.
    Is it like a Toyota from a Toyota dealers? or a large dealer like Windsor who sell all sorts of cars as well as selling a few specific brands?

Whats the warranty on it? depends on main dealer as well.
    Is it like a Toyota from a Toyota dealers? or a large dealer like Windsor who sell all sorts of cars as well as selling a few specific brands?

12 month warranty main dealer garage specific brand.

• Advertisement

12 month warranty main dealer garage specific brand.

Personally I wouldn’t bother, for a main dealer like that to resell they have to keep standards very high, hence why a lot of them have opened second hand dealers to sell cars that don’t meet that standard, the likes of ZuCar for Joe Duffy

But as mentioned it’s a personal choice for me not to

Personally I wouldn’t bother, for a main dealer like that to resell they have to keep standards very high, hence why a lot of them have opened second hand dealers to sell cars that don’t meet that standard, the likes of ZuCar for Joe Duffy

But as mentioned it’s a personal choice for me not to

I spoke to few people I know and changed my mind as well. Just to try and get a few hundred more off now and we'll be flying !! Cheers.

I spoke to few people I know and changed my mind as well. Just to try and get a few hundred more off now and we'll be flying !! Cheers.

You might struggle in this market but give it a bash, best of luck

Advertisement