Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Avgeek2101 wrote: »
    SNN LHR schedule got updated and is on sale from Sept 13th. EI388 21.20 Departure added instead of lunch time EI384.

Does anyone know if EI380/1 will return. That was particularly popular flight.

Cork Airport closing September 12th. Interesting timing there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Avgeek2101 wrote: »
    SNN LHR schedule got updated and is on sale from Sept 13th. EI388 21.20 Departure added instead of lunch time EI384.

Does anyone know if EI380/1 will return. That was particularly popular flight.

I'm sure it will. EI are probably already working on/figures out how to crew it once the demand is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Aer Lingus are putting BHD-BHX/EDI/MAN on-sale using A320s for tomorrow and Monday as a temporary measure to cater for EIR passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Sensible solution, EI got in on those routes when FlyBE exited and don't want Easyjet or Ryanair to swoop in. Presumably these will be W's from Dublin as EI will need to restructure the DUB-EDI/BHX/MAN ops

BA CityFlyer is also being brought in (advantage of being in IAG) to cover some ops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork Airport closing September 12th. Interesting timing there.

My rescheduled Cork-LHR flight in October has been moved to Shannon. I'm guessing they'll just move everything there for the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sensible solution, EI got in on those routes when FlyBE exited and don't want Easyjet or Ryanair to swoop in. Presumably these will be W's from Dublin as EI will need to restructure the DUB-EDI/BHX/MAN ops

BA CityFlyer is also being brought in (advantage of being in IAG) to cover some ops

Edinburgh is being operated in a W pattern out of Dublin.

Birmingham & Manchester using a Belfast based A320.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

My rescheduled Cork-LHR flight in October has been moved to Shannon. I'm guessing they'll just move everything there for the time.

That’s going to be an utter pain in the rear for businesses in Cork. At least Zoom is a possibility.

There’s no way I’d drive to Shannon for a flight to London unless I had no choice about going.

I can see this Cork runway refurbishment becoming a really serious political issue in Cork when it actually has impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What is the fastest and most prudent way for EI to get back its regional routes? Some might support an A320, but for those that can’t, is it feasible for EI to place 2-3 ATR’s on their AOC in a rapid manner?

The question is 'who' owns the PSO route. Is it EI's problem or not?

If EI is on the hook simplest solution is to wet lease someone in and run a ATR/Dash8/Dornier 228/328. You can get a A320 into Kerry no problem but CFN is a big problem. EI could offer to fly a A320 to Derry, that could be interesting to say the least with the PSO

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

The question is 'who' owns the PSO route. Is it EI's problem or not?

If EI is on the hook simplest solution is to wet lease someone in and run a ATR/Dash8/Dornier 228/328. You can get a A320 into Kerry no problem but CFN is a big problem. EI could offer to fly a A320 to Derry, that could be interesting to say the least with the PSO

Stobarts were the PSO operator. I assume they branded it as an EI flight but it was theirs. They had the PSO contract until end 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It would need to be put out to tender, surely, though in the short-term some sort of abbreviated process might be used to re-establish a service in the interim. Lawyers no doubt being consulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

EchoIndia wrote: »
    It would need to be put out to tender, surely, though in the short-term some sort of abbreviated process might be used to re-establish a service in the interim. Lawyers no doubt being consulted.

There's provision for a contract to be awarded for 7 months without tender if something like this happens. Gives them time to do a full tender in the meantime.

It does seem strange though, Stobart actually won the contract not Aer Lingus. But they won it based on using the EI Regional brand. I'd imagine the government would have to award the contract directly to EI in order to keep it running. As you say, a lot of lawyering happening I'd imagine.

DAT (Denmark) could be a candidate. They have operated here before and I see they do PSO stuff in Italy too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAT_(airline)

I can't see EI or RYR bothering with the PSOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ryanair certainly won't. ATRs needed, not B737s or A320s.

An Estonian airline is interested per the Irish Times today

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

EI-EIL flown DUB - FNI today
    EI-DAA flown from CQM-FNI today also

I assume for storage ? I wonder why DAA flew from CQM-FNI though

An Estonian airline is interested per the Irish Times today

Gonna guess that's Nordica.

Shamrockj wrote: »
    I wonder why DAA flew from CQM-FNI though

Gear change

GVHOT wrote: »
    Gonna guess that's Nordica.
    That's what the article says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ohlordy

Realistically, what's the quickest Nordica could be set up to fly? My 3 year old is expecting to fly to kerry on July 3rd, I'm not optimistic but I am hopeful!

GVHOT wrote: »
    Gear change

Interesting. I’m guessing -DAA will be staying in the fleet so? I would have assumed it wouldn’t be coming back in the future.

DAA is a owned bird

If the gear is out of date its got to be fixed, even if it won't fly again it has to be safe to fly to wherever it will be scrapped

Alternatively DAA has good gear which is well in date/cycles and is being 'borrowed' for the active fleet

The fact EI-EIL showed up same day is suspicious

ohlordy wrote: »
    Realistically, what's the quickest Nordica could be set up to fly? My 3 year old is expecting to fly to kerry on July 3rd, I'm not optimistic but I am hopeful!

Honestly I'd say once they have a contract in place, they'll be positioning and aircraft and crew the next day to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Deatr

Honestly I'd say once they have a contract in place, they'll be positioning and aircraft and crew the next day to operate.

Nordica currently having difficulty getting crew to operate on a full time basis on the PSO routes in Sweden. It may be a bit longer than a day. But the optics for the government giving this to a foreign operator that has been bailed out by their own government would not look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Wasn’t STOBART basically going to be a foreign airline with IOM ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

A real shame but not entirely surprising considering the situation in the UK once again.

Biden appears in no rush to reopen travel with Britain, the fact they’ve only just announced a “task force” to explore how it could be done suggests it’s a long way off yet. The latest variant now dominant in the UK will remain a concern for weeks to come until the link between infection, hospitalisation and deaths can be confirmed to be broken.

Aer Lingus is likely hedging its bets with late September but the reality is they don’t know. At this rate the EU will be reopening to the US before the UK, if that does happen, let’s hope Ireland ensures it’s ready and waiting.

There’s also the little problem of a UK AOC which is still to be awarded, its taking far longer than most expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

At this rate the EU will be reopening to the US before the UK, if that does happen, let’s hope Ireland ensures it’s ready and waiting.

There’s also the little problem of a UK AOC which is still to be awarded, its taking far longer than most expected.

Unfortunately, the CTA will come to Ireland's detriment on this occasion if this becomes the case. The US doesn't differentiate between the two due to free flow across the NI/ROI border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the CTA will come to Ireland's detriment on this occasion if this becomes the case. The US doesn't differentiate between the two due to free flow across the NI/ROI border.

No doubt it plays a part but it doesn’t always correspond to restrictions or official travel advice from a US government perspective. The current US travel advice for Ireland is actually tougher than those for the United Kingdom despite the open border.

https://travelmaps.state.gov/TSGMap/?extent=-14.812101054,51.261076503,-1.513920294,55.421781277

I’m pretty sure Ireland’s status is largely self inflicted here, it’s a two way street with the US and if we were willing to ease restrictions for them they’d be quick to reciprocate.

Advertisement