Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Medical students are famously unaffected by Covid.

The vast majority of them were unaffected. Our hospitals have never been so empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I know it's been said but Richie really is insufferable, they were on about Naomi Osaka and Joe was making a reasonabley valid point that we don't know the full story from Roland Garos's side and there could be more to the story (not that I'm defending how they have handled themselves) and Richie wasn't having any of it, he went on a full strop and he was actually sulking over it.

I can't think of anyone worse on radio (maybe Eoghan McDermot)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilbury Twist

To borrow a GAA analogy I think that the presenter panel on OTB could do with some strengthening in certain areas. Joe Molloy would be inter county standard, certainly the most consistent in terms of output. The rest would be a mixture of Intermediate and Junior B in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

siblers wrote: »
    I know it's been said but Richie really is insufferable, they were on about Naomi Osaka and Joe was making a reasonabley valid point that we don't know the full story from Roland Garos's side and there could be more to the story (not that I'm defending how they have handled themselves) and Richie wasn't having any of it, he went on a full strop and he was actually sulking over it.

I can't think of anyone worse on radio (maybe Eoghan McDermot)

Seems like a very unpleasant person, all round. total mystery as to why he is there or on any platform. Very aggressive and odd fella.

As an aside, this may be nit picking but they really need to get joe a mouse with silent clicking

He's by far the best on that show which isnt saying much, but he asks questions and then you can hear multiple clicks of the mouse where hes doing whatever for the next piece. Makes it seem like whoever is responding is just meaningless, it's pure amateur hour.

Here you go Joe:

mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Ger will be crying into his piss and vinegar soaked cornflakes after Djokovic beat Nadal in the French Open

• Advertisement

Piehead wrote: »
    Ger will be crying into his piss and vinegar soaked cornflakes after Djokovic beat Nadal in the French Open

Poor Ger he’ll be stuck on the can for days with a dose of the runny poos after that today !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Poor Ger he’ll be stuck on the can for days with a dose of the runny poos after that today !

Hard to believe an adult probably wrote this.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Am i becoming a grumpy old bollix (for whom the vaccine portal may open this week), or was 40 minutes of the paper review, discussing the tv coverage of Erickson and Taking the Knee, very very boring? I know they must cover what is topical, but there was no discussion of any sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Anything John Duggan presents turns into a car crash.

Hes a classic Alan Partridge comparison.

He’s starting….

https://twitter.com/gergilroy/status/1404130416437645322?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

bamayang wrote: »
    Am i becoming a grumpy old bollix (for whom the vaccine portal may open this week), or was 40 minutes of the paper review, discussing the tv coverage of Erickson and Taking the Knee, very very boring? I know they must cover what is topical, but there was no discussion of any sport?

Because they rarely discuss plain old sport. I know ... sounds nuts right? Far, far greater weight is given to the politicisation of and within sport and the ramifications that follow from amongst other items including 'taking the knee', the potential trauma of the public from the dubious BBC/RTE coverage of the horror of Christian Eriksen, which cannot be disputed in fairness, the bickering of De Chambeau and Koepka in golf and its impact on the wider society, Gordon Elliot bouncing on a dead horse and the impact on the wider society, the Penn State child sex abuse scandal and subsequent convictions of abuser Jerry Sandusky and the impact on the wider society, the Karim Benzema - Mathieu Valbeuna sextape scandal and the impact on the wider society, to name but merely a few.

I like Dion Fanning's writing but he spent most of the discussion rambling and going around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I like Dion Fanning's writing but he spent most of the discussion rambling and going around in circles.

Just your typical Dion contribution so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Just your typical Dion contribution so.

Aye, a waffler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Probably more suited to the main Newstalk thread, but seeing as she's discussed in here a bit... Máire Treasa presented weekend breakfast this week. I think Susan Keogh is out the gap, so I wonder if Máire will get the gig full time. She was good i thought.

John Duggan is an awful presenter, I didn't mind him on Today FM but really struggle listening to him on the weekends when he's on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Johnny Ward on Saturday saying he’d like to try Dara O’Shea in a holding role for Ireland. O’Shea has 6 caps, his distribution is unimpressive at centre half and we are short of options at centre half but yeah...let’s throw him into midfield. Ward has so many unique, terrible takes.

Johnny Ward on Saturday saying he’d like to try Dara O’Shea in a holding role for Ireland. O’Shea has 6 caps, his distribution is unimpressive at centre half and we are short of options at centre half but yeah...let’s throw him into midfield. Ward has so many unique, terrible takes.

He's another terrible contributor. They really need to bring in some new contributors on OTB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Where’s Damien Delaney gone? He was on some event there last week with Dunphy but aside from that I haven’t heard him on in weeks. Same with Kenny? Both much better then Elliot in the Saturday slot.

Where’s Damien Delaney gone? He was on some event there last week with Dunphy but aside from that I haven’t heard him on in weeks. Same with Kenny? Both much better then Elliot in the Saturday slot.

His wife just had a baby so I'm guessing it's just a temporary absence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

He was on a couple of days ago. Really good listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

jesus, euro's, golf, gaa, tennis, sport bonanza and this thread is dead. speaks volumes about the show as it is.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

jesus, euro's, golf, gaa, tennis, sport bonanza and this thread is dead. speaks volumes about the show as it is.

Well considering people only post in here to give out about the show, I'd personally say it says more about how well it's doing.

Been some great stuff on the 7s. Jordan Conroy last night and Greg O'Shea this morning are both two really interesting interviews.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Well considering people only post in here to give out about the show, I'd personally say it says more about how well it's doing.

Been some great stuff on the 7s. Jordan Conroy last night and Greg O'Shea this morning are both two really interesting interviews.

I generally switch off when it comes to rugby so I missed those pieces. Anything else worth catching up on via podcast? I rarely get the show live anymore and not much has caught my eye on podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

I generally switch off when it comes to rugby so I missed those pieces. Anything else worth catching up on via podcast? I rarely get the show live anymore and not much has caught my eye on podcast.

The Football Pod with Peadar Andrews and Andy Moran has been very good. It's great to hear the enthusiasm of the lads plus Tommy. Too often Football gets bogged down by 90s heads scoffing at the state of the 'Modern Game'.It's a breath of fresh air to have 2 more recent players talking.

I like the Euros coverage in general. Eamon Dunphy on Friday was good.Like old times. Even the reports from England, France, Denmark etc have been enjoyable. Far removed from the Liverpool,Man Utd excess during PL season.

shockframe wrote: »
    The Football Pod with Peadar Andrews and Andy Moran has been very good. It's great to hear the enthusiasm of the lads plus Tommy. Too often Football gets bogged down by 90s heads scoffing at the state of the 'Modern Game'.It's a breath of fresh air to have 2 more recent players talking.

I like the Euros coverage in general. Eamon Dunphy on Friday was good.Like old times. Even the reports from England, France, Denmark etc have been enjoyable. Far removed from the Liverpool,Man Utd excess during PL season.

I listened to Dunphy and really enjoyed the slot. Will look out for the rest. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Faugheen wrote: »

what a load of :D:D:D

So nobody is commenting because things are going so well? LOL :D Fairly poor interpretation of how ratings and marketing works, I must pop out and get a set of those google glasses that were flying off the shelves. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah, I dunno, H. It’s a different time we’re in these days. Most of us have lives and aren't in a “position” to listen to the show, especially with the soccer on.

Thought the team did an exceptional job during the first lockdown and, poor lines aside, they’ve continued that out the other side of this one.

I’m well aware that some on here don’t like when the show covers sports stories “off the field” but, all in all, it’s my go to show when I’m in the car.

Thankfully, Creedon covers nicely when it’s a terrible sport like basketball being discussed. Actually, I’d recommend any listeners getting, constantly, butthurt by the show, and it’s presenters, switching over to Creedon’s. You won’t be disappointed and it might go a long way to soothing that butt.

The tide is turning…

Might close this thread before tomorrow's programme as we are nearing the 10k point. It's been going for almost 9 years.

Get your reflections in on the past decade of OTB, if ye like. Someone can start a new thread tomorrow night, before the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Ah, I dunno, H. It’s a different time we’re in these days. Most of us have lives and aren't in a “position” to listen to the show, especially with the soccer on.

Thought the team did an exceptional job during the first lockdown and, poor lines aside, they’ve continued that out the other side of this one.

I’m well aware that some on here don’t like when the show covers sports stories “off the field” but, all in all, it’s my go to show when I’m in the car.

Thankfully, Creedon covers nicely when it’s a terrible sport like basketball being discussed. Actually, I’d recommend any listeners getting, constantly, butthurt by the show, and it’s presenters, switching over to Creedon’s. You won’t be disappointed and it might go a long way to soothing that butt.

Most of us have lives and aren’t in a position to listen? :):):)

Most of us have been in a position to do nothing other than listen for the last 18 months and we have been bombarded with nothing other than top quality sport for the last few months, yet this this thread is dead for for some reason.

You brought up the politicisation of the show, nobody else, the thread and show is dead and unpopular for a reason…you’ve just given one good reason why “E”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement