Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you get the Covid vaccine if offered it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

There is zero evidence to suggest that the vaccines have any effect on fertility whatsoever.

Sure how could there be? That's a completely disengenuous statement.

There are so many things we don't have long term evidence for. For example, is there evidence to suggest that vaccinated people are having unhealthy children? Of course not, because no child has been born yet who developed for 9 months in the womb of a vaccinated mother?

Britain only starting vaccinating people in early December, and were among the first in the world to do so. That means that even the very earliest uptakers would only be 6 months along?
    Unless the HSE, the WHO etc have an oracle, or a crystal ball or a time machine, then they won't be able to answer peoples concerns.

These are simple facts, inconvenient truths that no amount of wishful thinking and mutual validation can alter.

Dismiss me and others like me as conspiracy theorists, of course and continue your orgy of group think, endless congratulation, and inexplicable blindness to the completely as yet unknowable risks you're exposing yourselves and your unborn children to.

I hope the likes are worth it. Smh.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Kumejima wrote: »

Theres no need for the aggressive reply....this is a forum for people to support each other. No one is telling you want to do, the choice is yours of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

There are so many things we don't have long term evidence for. For example, is there evidence to suggest that vaccinated people are having unhealthy children? Of course not, because no child has been born yet who developed for 9 months in the womb of a vaccinated mother?

Britain only starting vaccinating people in early December, and were among the first in the world to do so. That means that even the very earliest uptakers would only be 6 months along?
    Unless the HSE, the WHO etc have an oracle, or a crystal ball or a time machine, then they won't be able to answer peoples concerns.

These are simple facts, inconvenient truths that no amount of wishful thinking and mutual validation can alter.

Dismiss me and others like me as conspiracy theorists, of course and continue your orgy of group think, endless congratulation, and inexplicable blindness to the completely as yet unknowable risks you're exposing yourselves and your unborn children to.

Predictable.

While the vaccines are new, they are based on technology that has been around and been studied extensively since the early 90s. Almost 30 years. This is not something that was cooked up in December 2020 and has been experimented on the nation with.

Babies have been born since their mothers have been vaccinated. More than 100k pregnant women have been vaccinated in the US alone, many of whom have gone on to deliver healthy babies. We are yet to see a confirmed case of the vaccine causing pregnancy-related complications or disability in the infant, and with the frequent foetal monitoring and advanced ultrasonography we have available in maternity hospitals worldwide, it would be quite remarkable for the vaccine to be causing issues with babies and not have been confirmed to be the case anywhere.

Conversely we have documented and confirmed evidence of what catching covid can do to pregnant women. Greater risk of severe illness and ICU admission, pre-eclampsia, pre-term labour, covid placentitis, still birth, and others. With daily averages around 400-500 cases per day and society opening up more, the risk of catching covid in pregnancy is still a very real one.

Comparing real, documented and potentially devastating risks of covid in pregnancy with a theoretical and highly unlikely risk of vaccination in pregnancy (as I said, these vaccine have been studied for decades and hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of pregnant women have already been vaccinated).... you are scare-mongering vulnerable women here with emotive arguments based on nothing but personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

In fairness, why are you here? I posted this thread on the Pregnancy forum, looking only for the opinions of pregnant women. You are neither pregnant nor a woman, so I'm guessing you trawl Boards looking for threads about vaccines to start arguments, which is quite sad. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but this particular instance, it's literally none of your business.

Funnily enough, when I was researching the ins and outs of vaccines recently, pretty much ALL of the militant anti-vax-in-pregnancy posts/opinions were by men. I guess old habits die hard. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

In fairness, why are you here? I posted this thread on the Pregnancy forum, looking only for the opinions of pregnant women. You are neither pregnant nor a woman, so I'm guessing you trawl Boards looking for threads about vaccines to start arguments, which is quite sad. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but this particular instance, it's literally none of your business.

Funnily enough, when I was researching the ins and outs of vaccines recently, pretty much ALL of the militant anti-vax-in-pregnancy posts/opinions were by men. I guess old habits die hard. :rolleyes:

I wasn't looking for ye, it just happened to be on the front page and clicked in out of interest and was just bewildered and horrified by what I saw. Obviously I was expecting people to promote accepting the vaccine, but also those on the opposing view. Instead what I see is groupthink. You're congratulated and validated if you fall in line, and ostracised and demeaned if you don't.

I've also been accused of posting emotive arguments?! Point out whats factually incorrect about what I said. Or better yet, post links to studies showing that the Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca or J& J vaccines have no adverse effects on pregnancy or children in the womb?

Not vaccines or mrna vaccines in general, I mean these specific ones. None of which existed, what, 10 months ago?

If there are studies, post them and you'll not only debunk what I'm saying but you'll reassure everyone on this thread that they're doing the right thing.

From where I'm standing you and your unborn children are the guinea pigs. Why would you take that risk? Because of covid? I mean if Covid was as deadly as Ebola I'd be right there with you but there does seem to be evidence of a large amount of covid cases where the mother and baby were unaffected?

For me at least with covid, there are things you can do to avoid it to prevent you from getting it, isolating yourself, social distancing etc, but with any potential vaccine side effects, its impossible to defend against because you've opened the city gates and their inside your walls, free to do whatever damage it wants. Not just for this pregnancy but all subsequent pregnancies too, long after the threat of covid has passed.

We're constantly being told to "Trust the science" but there is no science in this case. What you're actually being asked is to trust Big Pharma, not to take short cuts during the biggest pharmaceutical gold rush in history. If Pfizer rush a vaccine, they get not billions but trillions in sales, and indemnity from liability so they don't have to give any back if anything goes wrong with your pregnancy.

They wouldn't put out anything that wasn't safe? Tell that to the victims of their last vaccine, the Sars vaccine, who are currently fighting for compensation in the High Court of this country after children were left with narcolepsy, destroying their lives. These are just documented facts.

You ask if I'm not a woman or not pregnant why I'm posting here. I don't know how you can assume that and why you didn't go for the trifecta of casting aspersions on the size of my penis while you were at it.
    If I see a stranger's toddler wandering onto the road that's also technically none of my business, but sometimes, you know, you just can't help yourself shouting "Stop!"

Believe me, I hope you're right and I'm wrong. I really really really do. I hope these things are safe and I hope everyone here has a wonderful trouble free safe pregnancy and a beautiful healthy child as a result.

But from where I'm sitting, you guys are making a complete leap of faith. Faith in organisations and companies that have one trilion reasons to downplay the risks.

I'm out. All the best, really and truly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Kumejima are you aware that there have been 11 reported stillbirths linked to covid related placentitis, some of them happening as late as 36 weeks? Expectant mothers have every right to feel anxious about the risk, however small. It doesn't have to be ebola to be a justifiable concern, and in fact nobody is obliged to justify their concern to you. Nobody wants their child to become a statistic. I am anxiously waiting to hear back about my appointment and will be very relieved when I finally receive the vaccine, since the people around me are taking unnecessary risks and in my view, putting my child at risk.

Most expectant mothers have already made huge sacrifices, risk assessments, tough decisions etc. on the road to where we are now not just in relation to covid but even just generally trying to do what is best for our babies and putting their welfare above even our own. Such is the territory of being a mother!

We are the ones best placed to make a judgement call on what is right for us and our children, and could do without your lecture which really appears to be agenda driven.

You ask if I'm not a woman or not pregnant why I'm posting here. I don't know how you can assume that and why you didn't go for the trifecta of casting aspersions on the size of my penis while you were at it.
    If I see a stranger's toddler wandering onto the road that's also technically none of my business, but sometimes, you know, you just can't help yourself shouting "Stop!"

I didn't assume it, I searched your most recent posts, saw that you had been posting on (many) other Covid and vaccine-related threads and also another post where you literally said that you were a 'Kerryman'. Only confirming my suspicions.

As was said above, NOBODY has to justify their decision to you. Who do you think you are? Like there isn't already enough guilt doled out to mothers for every other reason, here's some random man calling us and our children 'guinea pigs'! The actual neck of you.

Good to hear you're 'out', because you were never invited in.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

You are neither pregnant nor a woman, so I'm guessing you trawl Boards looking for threads about vaccines to start arguments, which is quite sad.

Oh lord, I just assumed that it was a pregnant woman to be posting here. Hopefully no one will give him anymore attention and we can get our respectful and supportive thread back on track.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Oh lord, I just assumed that it was a pregnant woman to be posting here. Hopefully no one will give him anymore attention and we can get our respectful and supportive thread back on track.

Indeed, let's just ignore him and go back to our lovely 'groupthink'! :rolleyes: The internet connection is much better here anyway. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

My Mrs was offered it last week, refused. I 100% back her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

For anyone waiting on an appointment from the coombe for the vaccine, I was speaking to a midwife on the helpline a few mins ago with a few questions and she said appointments will be sent out this evening or early tomorrow for Wednesday in citywest. .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm out. All the best, really and truly.

Lucky you're out because your entire post was lies and misinformation and should be totally entirely 100% ignored.

Got an appointment to get first shot next week. They and an appointment for today but unfortunately I'd had the pertussis vax last week and needs to be a two week gap. Means I won't get the second shot while pregnant but they've said even the first gives 60-70% protection after a week, so it's a bit of a relief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Antares35 wrote: »
    Got an appointment to get first shot next week. They and an appointment for today but unfortunately I'd had the pertussis vax last week and needs to be a two week gap. Means I won't get the second shot while pregnant but they've said even the first gives 60-70% protection after a week, so it's a bit of a relief :)

Are you sure about that? I saw guidance updated within the last week saying the 2 week thing needn't apply. I swear NMH put it on their Instagram

Are you sure about that? I saw guidance updated within the last week saying the 2 week thing needn't apply. I swear NMH put it on their Instagram

That's what she said, that there has to be two weeks between. I'll see if I can find out more, although it's unlikely I'd get an appointment before next Friday at this stage anyway. Pity because I will only miss the boat on the second one by a day!

No I think that's right, I had to wait for a 2 week gap as well after my pertussis vaccine. Originally I was told 4 weeks by the doc in Holles St at my last appointment, but when they rang me they said the HSE had revised it to 2 weeks.

Great that you finally got an appointment Antares, will be great peace of mind to have some protection for you and baby!

No I think that's right, I had to wait for a 2 week gap as well after my pertussis vaccine. Originally I was told 4 weeks by the doc in Holles St at my last appointment, but when they rang me they said the HSE had revised it to 2 weeks.

Great that you finally got an appointment Antares, will be great peace of mind to have some protection for you and baby!

I can finally stop whining about my parents going to the garden centre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Yeah my gp said that they updated the information on that too and that you don't need to wait the two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I am 28 weeks and will be refusing the vaccine if offered.

Clinical trials on pregnant women for all vaccines have not been completed. Only 1 trial (pfizer) has started to recruit pregnant women less than a month ago, another planned trial (jansson) paused due to blood clots.

Clinical evidence regarding the safety of the COVID-19 vaccination in pregnancy is not yet available.

Here is a link to the UK royal college of obstetricians and gynecologists which I found helpful:

https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/coronavirus-covid-19-pregnancy-and-womens-health/covid-19-vaccines-and-pregnancy/covid-19-vaccines-pregnancy-and-breastfeeding/

In the above mentioned Pfizer trial, a cohort will be given a placebo and offered the vaccine after baby is born. I feel more comfortable following this route as I work from home, I do not have high risk medical conditions and I am not in high risk of exposure environments. I would likely feel different if I was a health care worker for example, but it is a personal decision and the right one for me and my baby in our circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Ireland's first pregnant lady to get her vaccine has some lovely news:
    https://twitter.com/Rheum2improve/status/1397646164208590853?s=20
    What an advocate!
    Each mother's choice of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

bytheglass wrote: »
    I am 28 weeks and will be refusing the vaccine if offered.

Clinical trials on pregnant women for all vaccines have not been completed. Only 1 trial (pfizer) has started to recruit pregnant women less than a month ago, another planned trial (jansson) paused due to blood clots.

Clinical evidence regarding the safety of the COVID-19 vaccination in pregnancy is not yet available.

Here is a link to the UK royal college of obstetricians and gynecologists which I found helpful:

https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/coronavirus-covid-19-pregnancy-and-womens-health/covid-19-vaccines-and-pregnancy/covid-19-vaccines-pregnancy-and-breastfeeding/

In the above mentioned Pfizer trial, a cohort will be given a placebo and offered the vaccine after baby is born. I feel more comfortable following this route as I work from home, I do not have high risk medical conditions and I am not in high risk of exposure environments. I would likely feel different if I was a health care worker for example, but it is a personal decision and the right one for me and my baby in our circumstances.

I would note (and it's from the link you provided) that the ongoing trials are for the effectiveness of the vaccine in pregnant women, not the safety, in the US over 123,000 (and counting) pregnant women (far larger than any trial) have had the Pfizer vaccine and no safety issues have been noted:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/vsafepregnancyregistry.html

Minier81 wrote: »
    Ireland's first pregnant lady to get her vaccine has some lovely news:
    https://twitter.com/Rheum2improve/status/1397646164208590853?s=20
    What an advocate!
    Each mother's choice of course.

Aw that's brilliant 🙂 got my time finally confirmed for tomorrow. Little apprehensive of course but will only be getting the first so fingers crossed! I get the impression they're still snowed under since the attack, and are working hard to get everyone accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Has anyone been for their second vaccine? I’m due mine next weekend and I’m not sure when I should expect an appointment text.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gupta

I got 8 days notice for my second appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

I had my second vaccine last week (had two weeks' notice). Very sore arm and a bit of fatigue but apart from that was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mildred22

For the aviva I got a text on the Monday and my second jab was the Friday.

aidom wrote: »
    Has anyone been for their second vaccine? I’m due mine next weekend and I’m not sure when I should expect an appointment text.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

johnmck wrote: »
    "Big Pharma tells pregnant women that one glass of wine or unpasteurized juice (which they make no profits from) can be harmful to their unborn chilld—but an experimental, non-fda approved vaccine with no long term trials (which earns them billions) is perfectly safe.

LOL."

Candace Owens

The one that the Trump administration pushed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and got my first dose of Pfizer during the week. Definitely a bit nervous but it feels like the right thing to do. This is my 3rd baby and both my boys have had placenta issues. My first son was stillborn at 42 weeks and my second was induced at 37 and is a healthy 4 year old but his placenta had issues when tested. With the risk of covid causing placenta issues I just can't take the chance. Plus, the risk to my health is unacceptable to me when I have a little guy relying on me. Definitely have a fear something may come out in the future but I think we can only make decisions on the medical advice available at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paulinetmg

I was wondering if anyone here who is a bit earlier on in pregnancy (15-16 weeks) and registered through the NMH, have you managed to get an appointment? How long after you registered did you get a call?

I registered about 2 weeks ago, as soon as I hit the 14 week mark, and I'm just wondering how long I should expect to wait for an appointment. I'm not at particularly high risk or anything, and I work from home, but my partner does have to go to work every day and there have been a few outbreaks where he works, so we've been pretty paranoid lately. I'm just so anxious to get the vaccine already so that I can feel safer...

To answer the forum's original question: yes! I can't wait. For the same reasons that have been cited here already (just a general risk versus benefit analysis really).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

aidom wrote: »

Did you get an appointment for this?
    My second is due this week, wed will be 28 days and still havent heard anything yet. Got my first on june 2nd

Advertisement