Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Really like Oliver Callan in this slot. I had stopped listening to Ryan Tubridy for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭RINO87

Same, I only tune into this slot when I know he is on. The "monologue" at the start can be good for a laugh, miles ahead of listening to that other eejit sh1ite on about himself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agreed, Tubridy should be put out to grass - he is at least 67 isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He'll be full of beans and fully rejuvenated after his 2 week holiday to 'recharge' from his exhausting work schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Oh no, our holidays are over, Tubridy's back.

Callan was a breath of fresh air.

Please, RTE, put him into the retirement home. How much would it cost, one million, two million? Whatever, it would be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Is there anything as animated as someone who has never really left Dublin that just spent a few days 'down the country'?

Prepare for plenty compliments about the people of Ireland, what a great little country we have, the weather haha, how we should be proud of ourselves, its a great place to staycation, RECHARGED AND CANT WAIT FOR THE TOY SHOW AT CHRISTMAS, the big boss man from Dublin who came down and saved the economy of rural Ireland by accepting free coffees and ice creams, how we should all shop locally and plenty irish (read freinds of RTE) people on the late late next year.

That 'interview' with the paper was rediculous esp the comment re the market deciding the wages.

I feel that Tubrudy's legacy has already been sealed. Its not going to be the Toyman persona much as RTE and himself will tell us it is. Its going to be that at in the middle of one of the darkest and most difficult times in the nations history when covid and uncertainty were approaching a peak he brought on to the Late Late Show a popular former superstar boxers who many many people hold fond and positive memories that tragically had recently lost a child and reduced the man to an emotional wreck live on air. I'll never forget what an absolute disgrace that was. So inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Come back Oliver Callen.

Please

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Irish Meeeeer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Boutique Famine Museum

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

dvcireland wrote: »
    Boutique Famine Museum

I heard that. Every room in the museum had a bespoke theme related to workhouse living. Soft furnishings made from empty spud sacks. The whole place is a real jewel in the Crown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

I cannot abide Carl Herny being rolled out for every conversation about exercise and fitness. We need many and diverse voices (in the widest sense) on the airwaves about health and fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't hear the show today.

But very few comments on it.

Was it a non-event?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,892 ✭✭✭thesandeman

boarddotie wrote: »
    I cannot abide Carl Herny being rolled out for every conversation about exercise and fitness. We need many and diverse voices (in the widest sense) on the airwaves about health and fitness.

Tune in to Kathryn Thomas so. Feckin' Joe Wicks is on it.

Boutique Famine Museum

Literally diminishing one of the most devastating famines in modern history, per capita, to a gentrified holiday experience, not even ironically.

I don't mind dark humour, but he was clearly oblivious to how dismissive, borderline disrespectful, it sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The man is not well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Boutique Famine Museum

Leaving aside the ignorance about the famine, describing anything as "boutique" is a tell-tale sign of a pretentious tit.

Remember Eoghan Murphy described co-living as trendy boutique hotels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Hasn't Ryan got form when it comes to the Irish famine. Hasn't he a slightly unconventional take on the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,582 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Response was gorgeous!

Pr1ck!

Extra extra extra extra laughing and giggling today to indicate being refreshed and reenergised.

Sounds demented but other than that and no difference whatsoever between the content when he was 'tired' before the 2 weeks off and this utter rubbish.

Bring back Callan.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Extra extra extra extra laughing and giggling today to indicate being refreshed and reenergised.

Sounds demented but other than that and no difference whatsoever between the content when he was 'tired' before the 2 weeks off and this utter rubbish.

Bring back Callan.

I heard a few minutes. That fake laughing mid sentence is diabolical

• Advertisement

Genuinely, give the gig to Callan.

He was in the seat for a fortnight, and I know nothing of his personal life or his afternoon/ evening activities.

He actually spoke about other things,not himself.

Tubbs, take note !!!!!!

Callan ftw.

The fact that this thread was a ghost town during his tenure is surely an indication that he's doing something right.

The misery is back. Didn't take long.

He'll never change, why would he bother?

He'll never change, why would he bother?

True.

He is handsomely rewarded for his shtick.

He lives in an echo-chamber of self praise.

Twitter and Facebook are evil, cruel and unkind.
    Tubbs speak for peoples opinions of him are wrong.

Instagram is kind and pure.
    Tubbs speak for zero comments on his inadequacies as a radio host.

Mr. Fun closes out with another little bit of misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Good man Tubbs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Good man Tubbs

Imagine he was a real diva in real life “ I take the bill is settled ya I’ll give you a shout out “

• Registered Users Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Very interesting……… if genuine would be something which needs a little further investigation.

Good man Tubbs

Tubridy said that he drove back to Dublin after climbing carrauntoohil so must have stayed there the night before. They must have only offered the one free night, how miserly are they?!?!?!

Do they not realise that their guest was a man who the market has decided is worth paying five hundred thousand euro each each year for 1 hour of radio and a weekly television show? A man who brought us moments such as laughing at Shane Lynch even tho Shane requested not to be made the butt of a joke and pointed out that Shane was actually in the wrong for not finding it funny- so brave, and in the depths of the covid fear Barry McGuigan struggling to come to terms with a tragic loss. A man who some weeks of the year finds the sickest people with the saddest stories in the country just so we can feel better about ourselves in comparison, a man who rehersed for months to sing up to three songs in one night, a man so revered that delivery men reach into their lorries and hand him eggs and bread out of sheer gratitude. A man who OFFERED to get one of the first vaccines available in the state live on air so that we could all watch and feel better. That hotel should hang their heads in shame for not keeping a room open for him ad finium.

• Advertisement

Fake laugh by the middle of the third sentence.

Autopilot engaged.

Advertisement