Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ash Dieback

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's ash dieback. Across Europe 2% of the ash are surviving. Cut it out and be done with it.

As a warning to people with ash trees, as the tree dies it will dry out and rapidly become brittle and begin to break up in strong winds. Best remove all while living.

I noticed last summer after a brief storm the roads cross country were littered with what was unusual branchlets and bits of twigs, I had a look and it was all ash. Checked with colleagues who noticed the same thing. The tree is on the way out unfortunately.

With Ash, there is probably more genetic and sub species diversity on my farm in Cork than in all of Europe combined.

That's a mix of there being several thousand, know ones here, God only knows how many unstudied and the fact that Ash in the continent is nearly all just a few variants, with most being one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have a link for that? because i'm sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

As regards last tree I showed, it's two large trunks from an older trunk where the original old tree fell in the 80's. Both should come down alright as it's not a healthy ash. Job to be done before autumn, incase it is Ash die back. I guess the smaller branches and leaves should be collected and burned on location.

Delighted to report rest of my Ash trees are looking pretty healthy after the last 2 weeks of warmer weather.

Advertisement