Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

rje66 wrote: »
    Possible from a variety of Alder. Are there any trees close by??

Many, there's some pretty natural woodlands nearby with many types of trees but also gardens.
    Looking about I can't spot any obvious culprits, which seems odd because there's a lot of them about.

I thought alder catkins were longer (50-70mm? These are 10mm or smaller), or perhaps these are parts of catkins?

tromtipp wrote: »
    Possibly from conifers - Spruce maybe or Scots pine. If you crush them do they smell of anything that might be a clue?

image of a Scots pine flower, looks about right

You've got it. There's a couple of Scots Pines just upwind of the garden and they look like they're making catkins.
    Hadn't considered them at all for some reason.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Anyone know what this is. They close in the evening and open again late morning. They're not morning glory I never planted them and there's none nearby. They seem to trail if that makes sense

• Anyone know what this is. They close in the evening and open again late morning. They're not morning glory I never planted them and there's none nearby. They seem to trail if that makes sense

Chickweed, Stellaria media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭standardg60

Was just about to say that this one was for you Briana Mysterious Palm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Oh great and I'm watering it thinking it was a flower. I sprinkled loads of seeds back in march and forget what they all are now,typical.
    I just knew there was no morning glory. It actually is near where I planted Baby Breath (transfered outside) so I thought it was that but couldn't understand why I found it miles away from the baby breath.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In fairness, morning glory look like bindweed on steroids, this one didn't even have "trumpety" flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

Weed or Wildflower?

As you can see from the purple Toadflax growing in the background I have been less vigorous in my weeding this year and a number of "new" plants have established.

Not sure what this one is, but it is quite pretty?

TIA
    GH

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Snapdragon, Antirrhinum majus

A cultivated flower, but one that's been around for centuries, and like the Red valerian mentioned elsethread, it often naturalises on old walls. There are plenty of trays of modern cultivars of this on sale in the garden centres, but the old varieties are better at getting through a few winters.

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=432

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

Thank you, funny I went on that website first but didn't recognise it there. Obvious once pointed out.

Presumably it is not too invasive. I would like it to increase in numbers - just let it self seed?

TIA
    GH

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

Not really invasive at all - it may seed into old mortar or on gravel or soil. You could also try saving some seed and sowing it yourself - if nothing else it will get your eye in for what the self-sown seedlings look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Any ideas what this is?

Some sort of climbing hydrangea?

Hydrangea-anomala-subsp-petiolaris

Nice plant

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭swarmberg

555815.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Papaver orientale, oriental poppy but which one exactly would be harder to say. Perhaps Orange Glow?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• swarmberg wrote: »
    555815.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Thanks

A poppy, Papaver orientale I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Hi, can anyone identify these please? They first appeared in a flower bed and I dug them up and potted up a few of them. Until I know what they are I don't really know what to do with them. Bit of a mystery in that loads of them appeared just in one area, as if a load of seeds had just dropped on the ground. Thanks for any help

Hi, can anyone identify these please? They first appeared in a flower bed and I dug them up and potted up a few of them. Until I know what they are I don't really know what to do with them. Bit of a mystery in that loads of them appeared just in one area, as if a load of seeds had just dropped on the ground. Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

^^^^^
    Picture?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Again, picture? :)

Instructions on how to attach it are here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058085332

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Anyone know if this is common hogweed?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it is common hogweed. The leaves look more like the common one and the plain green stem does too. Giant hogweed has almost thistle looking leaves - jagged and pointed, the flower head is more massed and the stems have purple blotches.

Common hogweed can get very big, and can also be quite toxic - do not strim hogweed, the flying bits can do dreadful rash damage, handle with care though it is not as bad as the giant version.

Looksee is so right about the sap, but it's easy to cut it back with secateurs on a cloudy day if you need to. In a wild corner with tall grasses, as in the image, it's a very good wildlife plant, and has one pollinator, Rhagonycha fulva, the Common red soldier beetle particularly associated with it. Check the wiki link for the common name beetle fanciers in England gave it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_red_soldier_beetle

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We have a complete infestation of common hogweed, we have had to make inroads into it or the entire garden would be nothing else. We did discover the red soldier beetles last year, enthusiastically doing what comes naturally :D

Hogweed burns can be permanent, and I wouldn't take the advice to do it on a cloudy day - that won't make much difference.
    Completely cover your skin.

If you're going to do it by hand then I suggest a tree-lopper.

Personally though I would just spray it with glyphosate.
    Stuff like this is one place where I have absolutely no hesitation using weed killer.

Native (and giant) hogweed 'burns' are caused by phytophotodermatitis. The sap causes extreme sensitivity to ultra violet light. Without sunlight it can't harm you. The 'burns' heal after a while - I had a nasty pus filled blister on my neck a few years ago from a strimmer-blown scrap of leaf. Careless of me, and painful for a while, but no permanent harm done, and I'm careful to cover up now. Hogweed is far from the only plant that causes the effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytophotodermatitis

Personally I'd be much more scared of Glyphosate than of a native wildflower humans have shared the country with for millennia.

Native (and giant) hogweed 'burns' are caused by phytophotodermatitis. The sap causes extreme sensitivity to ultra violet light. Without sunlight it can't harm you.
    It's just dangerous to suggest doing it on a cloudy day as a safety precaution.
    Unless it's the dead of night then you're going to get burns. The levels of uv light hitting you on a cloudy day are very much enough to cause damage.
    The 'burns' heal after a while - I had a nasty pus filled blister on my neck a few years ago from a strimmer-blown scrap of leaf. Careless of me, and painful for a while, but no permanent harm done.
    The wounds will heal but photosensitivity can be permanent(/very long-lasting).
    (ie. you can be left getting sunburn on that patch all year round).
    Personally I'd be much more scared of Glyphosate than of a native wildflower humans have shared the country with for millennia.
    Why?

It's not particularly harmful stuff, what effects it has is a result of it being extremely widely used, not in a very limited controlled manner as suggested here.
    native wildflower humans have shared the country with for millennia.
    So what? Times change. Should we live "Just like in the good old days" of living to a ripe old age of 35?

• Advertisement

Or 105, depending on your genes and your luck. Biodiversity supports human health as well as planetary health.

Advertisement