Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

radio nova

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tuned into the morning show for the first time in ages.

Was lucky enough to catch "dog poo bingo"

Wasn't a fan of Colm and Lucy, but not sure this is much of a step up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭prunudo

GLaDOS wrote: »

I do wonder how much the producer is to blame for the content on the two shows. I don't recall the lads having dog poo bingo style competitions on CH.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

GLaDOS wrote: »

Ah hang on, this is just giving out for the sake of it now! You know this silliness is part of a bigger initiative with Dogs Trust to encourage people to pick up their dogs sh1te which has become an even bigger problem during the pandemic. Fair enough if you don't like them or the music but this is a real stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Ah hang on, this is just giving out for the sake of it now! You know this silliness is part of a bigger initiative with Dogs Trust to encourage people to pick up their dogs sh1te which has become an even bigger problem during the pandemic. Fair enough if you don't like them or the music but this is a real stretch.

I'm all for encouraging people to pick up after their dogs but how in God's name are this pair given 4 hours of broadcasting time.............yes, it's a ****e show and I will not tune into Nova until after 10.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Agreed about the “dog poo bingo” thing. We have Nova on in the newsagents I work at. Not sure if it is supposed to be a “step up” from the previous duo or not. I’ve been trying to let them grow on me but as of now, this seems a bit ridiculous...

• Advertisement

Looks like there's been a few subtle changes as of late. Ruth Scott isn't listed on the website anymore and it looks like Matt Dempsey has indeed officially replaced her on weekend afternoons. They have some new guy called Dave doing some sort of community reports on Saturday mornings and is filling in for Pat Courtenay this week. And Kieran McGuinness mentioned that "Emily" was playing tunes after his show last week. Didn't listen but could be his partner. Anybody else notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Heard Marty discussing the latest Roger waters pink floyd drama regarding a reissue of animals and the usual stuff about having to rebuy stuff as if he grew up with pink floyd as opposed to the reality of s club 7 and steps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

AlgerShane wrote: »
    Looks like there's been a few subtle changes as of late. Ruth Scott isn't listed on the website anymore and it looks like Matt Dempsey has indeed officially replaced her on weekend afternoons. They have some new guy called Dave doing some sort of community reports on Saturday mornings and is filling in for Pat Courtenay this week. And Kieran McGuinness mentioned that "Emily" was playing tunes after his show last week. Didn't listen but could be his partner. Anybody else notice?

thought it was Matt Dempsey in for PC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

AlgerShane wrote: »
    No reference to Nova at the top of Ruth’s Twitter page although not sure there used to be? She’s just a radio and tv host and an MC but not station specific. Haven’t heard heard her for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

amlinopta wrote: »
    No reference to Nova at the top of Ruth’s Twitter page although not sure there used to be? She’s just a radio and tv host and an MC but not station specific. Haven’t heard heard her for a couple of weeks.

Wasn't it CH who brought her onboard ? Wouldn't surprise me if she's gone - shortly after he moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Wasn't it CH who brought her onboard ? Wouldn't surprise me if she's gone - shortly after he moved.

Maybe it is a cost-cutting measure.

Been listening in regularly to Nova again recently when I heard that Colm & Lucy left. Music has improved and less adverts for hilarious clips from the breakfast show. What are anybodys elses views since they left?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

they should never have happened in the first place, good riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭prunudo

Likewise, but it was an easy switch for me as I listened to PJ and Jim on CH. The difference now is I have Nova on the preset while driving again so do find myself listening more if I'm in the car during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Likewise, so glad the other two are gone.

Had switched to classic hits to avoid them so back to nova I went. It gets left on all day now. Some of it is a bit cringe but it's definitely a massive improvement since the morning show changed. Good riddance.

I didn’t mind Hayes personally but he did make some foolish decisions, and Lucy was not the most enjoyable or pleasant to listen to for sure. PJ and Jim are at least good fun nonetheless. I’ve actually noticed a few things since Hayes departed- for a start, they don’t seem to be playing anything “new” every hour. Instead, they’ve replaced those “new” songs with “pop rock” (if that’s what you want to call it…) songs from Irish artists/bands (OneRepublic/Twenty One Pilots/Gavin James), and some other well-known numbers from their regularly featured artists/bands (i.e. Florence & The Machine). Pretty sure the idea and ambition behind getting Hayes on board totally backfired on them and now they’ve had to resort back to square one in terms of gaining some sort of commercial success. Oh well, at least we still have Tony back on Friday Night Rock Show, and the legendary Pat James recently got a gig back on FM presenting Nova’s new Sunday Night Classic Album. So…..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I only discovered the other day that the Classic Album at Midnight is now on Sundays as well - it was being advertised. I did not know Pat James was presenting it though. That said, I could not imagine him tolerating all of the Born in the USA album (by Bruce Springsteen) - that album was mentioned as being on that show yesterday. Pat does like some Springsteen but I don't think most of that album would be the kind of stuff PJ would like. Don't forget that he can play what he likes on Off the Record (Saturdays, on Nova's digital station Classic Rock_. Still, it's an interesting twist if he is being given a slot again, however small, on the main Radio Nova.

Fair play to Colm Hayes thought, he hasn't been out of work more than 6 months the past 40 years, not many other freelance djs have been so lucky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The station turns 11 today it seems.

Never really been a listener but tried it when Pj and Jim switched from CH for breakfast

Have to say the definition of 'rock' presumably ok with the BAI is odd to say the least...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I actually enjoy Radio Nova. I hope they will be on air for another 11 years and more. I am currently not in Ireland, but tune into the station often on the internet.

• Advertisement

I heard Emily Brew standing in for Greg Gaughran a few nights ago. I see that she has been with Nova since May. Her background is marketing and her first big break into radio was five years ago with Christmas FM. Fair play to her.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

I heard a bit of Matt Dempsey this afternoon as indeed I have over a number of weekends. He seems to have settled down in his role as weekend presenter. I wonder will he get more gigs with Nova? Matt has extensive and varied radio experience. I think Nova, among all the licensed stations he was involved with (with the possible exception of its forerunner 949 The Rock), has the nearest match to the kind of music he used to play back in the 1980s on pirate Capitol/Nitesky Radio. That is where I first heard him.

And lo and behold, I heard Matt early yesterday evening - he must have been standing in for Pat Courtenay!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I have to say .

i really like Marty Miller ... i turn off dermot&dave to listen to him every day now.

and then listen to Dee woods afterwards... I think she is an excellent presenter.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Looks like Luke O’ Faoilan is calling it a day. He announced it on his Twitter this morning. Pity, he was great fun to listen to. Rumour has it there’ll be a change of personnel in the near future, so pray to oh Holy Lord that means no more Gavin James, One Republic, Twenty One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, newer Coldplay etc. 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’m almost certain I heard him back on 98FM recently. It was their night time show so maybe he’s left Nova to go back to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I've been driving to the office a couple of days each week for the last few weeks so it's been the first chance I've had to listen to the new breakfast show. So much better than the 2 muppets they had on previously. And the standard of the music has improved a lot.

• Advertisement

Time to take stock of former Radio Nova staff that are still involved in Irish radio.

Mike Maloney - online stations More Music Ireland and Christmas FM (soon to be on FM for the Christmas period)

Liam Quigley - online station More Music Ireland

Enda Murphy - Sunshine 106.8 and Classic Hits

Colm Hayes and Lucy Kennedy, Lisa Gernon - Classic Hits

Phil Cawley - South East Radio

Carol Dooley - Sunshine 106.8

Adrienne O'Hora, Gareth O'Connor - online station Christmas FM

Johnny Bowe, Breffni Clack - Q102

Paul Moriarity - RTE Radio 1

John Power - online station GCR Digital Radio

Advertisement