Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morning Ireland.

Options

Comments

Dempo1 wrote: »
    That's a bit of a surprise coming from the Netherlands, postponing re opening albeit primarily because of Hospital admissions not reducing as quickly as hoped.

I was struck at the comments re cold weather, I think Our own governments notion that out door dining, drinking is viable is just dillusional given our own climate.

Curious also Denmark removing J&J vaccine completely along with the AZ, raises a genuine question regarding liability here if there is any issues.

We'd need open marquees or some sort of decent cover against rain to be able to realistically offer outdoor drinking and dining.

According to the housing minister its all about the "COHORT"

............And AGAIN the phone difficulties . sounded fine to me. ffs sort it out!!

and end. no return to phone call. get your bibs for the next program.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

According to the housing minister its all about the "COHORT"

Hard to keep a good Cohort down :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Quite extraordinary Hospitals still under severe pressure re the Cyber Attack almost 3 weeks into this. The attack seems to have fallen off the news radar completely, perhaps I'm wrong but this is the first indept report I've heard in a while. Other than that there's Paul Reids "we're making progress, gaining momentum Tweets" meaningless by all accounts.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭archfi

I've heard a lot of posters here say that Áine Lawlor is the biggest intersectionalist at RTE when she really should be doing an impartial job.
    Well, this morning she just allowed some guy involved (FAI I think) have 5 minutes to himself to rant about the Hungarian PM and the cheek of him commenting on the booing of the controversial 'bending/taking the knee' gesture a few days ago in his own country which with zero doubt was a targetted political statement by Kenny/FAI.
    Franco, Mussolini - it all came out of your man and his grandiose statement of lodging a complaint somewhere (hoping to get Hungary cancelled as a host) and getting some non-entity Irish MEP to make a statement in Strasbourg/Brussels.
    Áine when introducing the piece nearly swallowed her tongue when saying 'The Irish team was BOOED' and not once questioned this guy on his statement.
    More importantly, she never even touched on the point that Kenny/FAI did not do this a week earlier in Andorra thereby burying any journalistic talent she once may have had.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

archfi wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of posters here say that Áine Lawlor is the biggest intersectionalist at RTE when she really should be doing an impartial job.
    Well, this morning she just allowed some guy involved (FAI I think) have 5 minutes to himself to rant about the Hungarian PM and the cheek of him commenting on the booing of the controversial 'bending/taking the knee' gesture a few days ago in his own country which with zero doubt was a targetted political statement by Kenny/FAI.
    Franco, Mussolini - it all came out of your man and his grandiose statement of lodging a complaint somewhere (hoping to get Hungary cancelled as a host) and getting some non-entity Irish MEP to make a statement in Strasbourg/Brussels.
    Áine when introducing the piece nearly swallowed her tongue when saying 'The Irish team was BOOED' and not once questioned this guy on his statement.
    More importantly, she never even touched on the point that Kenny/FAI did not do this a week earlier in Andorra thereby burying any journalistic talent she once may have had.

Lawlor has always been insufferable and those uber empathetic tones are the icing on the cake

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

archfi wrote: »

Intersectionalist?

What the fook is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Intersectionalist?

What the fook is that?

A strong, obsessive preference for roundabouts. NOT to be confused with a Bailintersectionalist, which is an obsessive preference for swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement

An Ri rua wrote: »
    A strong, obsessive preference for roundabouts. NOT to be confused with a Bailintersectionalist, which is an obsessive preference for swings and roundabouts.

Uh?

Thanks… but I’m afraid ,none the wiser.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Uh?

Thanks… but I’m afraid ,none the wiser.

:confused:

Such is life Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I didn't catch that interview this morning, but Aine Lawlor is generally dire on MI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

On morning Ireland and newstalk at the same time. One station at a time would be enough tbh.

Mod Edit
    One thread is enough too! Threads Merged :)
    -ATNM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭leath_dub

On morning Ireland and newstalk at the same time. One station at a time would be enough tbh.

Hums and haws her way through every interview. Keeps talking to keep the number of questions down. Comes across as an awful spoofer

leath_dub wrote: »
    Hums and haws her way through every interview. Keeps talking to keep the number of questions down. Comes across as an awful spoofer

Who is this you speak of, effendi.

Who is this you speak of, effendi.

Heather Humpreys, hai.

I think she's one of the more competent ministers. She wouldn't be running two major government departments if her colleagues didn't agree.

Heather Humpreys, hai.

I think she's one of the more competent ministers. She wouldn't be running two major government departments if her colleagues didn't agree.

Every time I see or hear her being interviewed my mind boggles as to how she's a government minister. She's one of the worst media performers imo. She doesn't really say anything 'wrong', more like she doesn't really say anything at all...but can say nothing for ages by just going round and round in circles.

Having said that, I'm guessing she must have some political/management talent that we just don't see...but I'll always be puzzled.

Cole wrote: »
    Every time I see or hear her being interviewed my mind boggles as to how she's a government minister. She's one of the worst media performers imo. She doesn't really say anything 'wrong', more like she doesn't really say anything at all...but can say nothing for ages by just going round and round in circles.

Having said that, I'm guessing she must have some political/management talent that we just don't see...but I'll always be puzzled.
    Well I just think she's an intelligent decision-maker/ manager.

She's been a minister for several years, and it's pretty remarkable for a Government minister never to have encountered a serious political controversy during their time in office, especially when trying to manage Covid business-supports and welfare claims during an unprecedented crisis, with real political and economic risks to the State.

She's not an amazing communicator, but she holds her own in a debate, and is a safe pair of hands during a crisis. There aren't many ministers who would be trusted with two huge portfolios in this Government, I think she was chosen for the above reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

IMO, HH is an appalling minister. She became a minister when EK was there and the only reason she did was for gender reasons. Minister for arts etc (bottom rung) iirc.

Apart from the fact that I'd prefer to listen to a con-saw than her speaking I think she is winging it.

She was lucky with Covid timing as her involvement in the defence of a serial animal abuser was just about to be questioned by op parties and become a bigger story.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/farmer-says-ministers-move-may-have-put-halt-to-animal-cruelty-charges-38982684.html

• Advertisement

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    She was lucky with Covid timing as her involvement in the defence of a serial animal abuser was just about to be questioned by op parties and become a bigger story.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/farmer-says-ministers-move-may-have-put-halt-to-animal-cruelty-charges-38982684.html

Yeah I remember reading about that (the Sunday Times did a bit of digging there) and was surprised it didn't get more attention, but as you say covid probably saved her. When you compare the hysterical 'outrage' to the Gordon Elliot story, it's a pretty poor reflection on the media and wider society. As usual, it's only the cute or commercially valuable animals that count.

And if HH interfered to get a local constituent off the hook (as it seems), then she should be ashamed of herself...but hey,hai, they're only livestock...doesn't really matter.

I’m expecting a lot of ‘emotion’ from Dezzie around 0845 when ‘de rowers’ are interviewed.

’De famblie’ at home will get full emotional treatment.

Well done ladies, anyway.

Hope there’s no tears……………from Dezzie.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Lots of emotion alright. The four girls and two of the mammies from back at home. A great achievement and they seem like a lovely group. Des does this type of stuff well in fairness.

few minutes ago Interview with Austrailia Paediatric Profesesor about children and Covid 19. Good Interviewer, poor interviewee.

Interviewer asks do we know why Covid recovery is better in children, professor more or less deflects question, just says "Yes. Full Stop". She was mentioning the phrase "children" every few words. A

Another polititian / professional "standing at the cool vantage point watching all the sh¬t unfold" but not actually doing anything real about it.

What’s with this ‘noo’ Traffic reports on MI.

If we hadn’t enough ‘Nooze’ and ‘noo’ on RTE they seem to have an American dude presenting it.

Where in Gods name did this pronunciation of ‘News’ spring from.

Its gone rampant especially in RTE.

Are there no standards in that organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

He sounded like the voice you'd hear on a sat nav!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

whats the story with a yank doing the traffic reports now

sounds all wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

II thought the same - and I feel bad for the new guy but its not great. Hopefully teething problems with their new traffic slot...ah bring back AA Roadwatch

• Advertisement

I didn’t catch the name of the crowd doing it now?

Advertisement