Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Radio 1: Late Debate

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

elperello wrote: »
    McSharry might be embarrassed now that his own party is in the frame but he wasn't far wrong at the time.

All three parties have insulted the electorate by standing on their doorsteps and lying to them to gain a political advantage.

That is what we learned today.

Too True, I just got sense Mc Sharry put his foot in it albeit not for the first time :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Katie: "Micheal Fitzmaurice are you grooming somebody"

Careful now, jaysus :D

Katie: "Micheal Fitzmaurice are you grooming somebody"

Careful now, jaysus :D

LOL, heard that too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Too True, I just got sense Mc Sharry put his foot in it albeit not for the first time :)

And it probably won't be the last time :)

Housing special tonight, this will be depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Housing special tonight, this will be depressing

do you find the late debate exciting other nights?

do you find the late debate exciting other nights?

Ah now, it's Katie's last show of the season, be nice. Actually, the show has improved I think over the past few weeks, last nights was quite good, I agree there's been some howlers and awful guests.

Ah now, it's Katie's last show of the season, be nice. Actually, the show has improved I think over the past few weeks, last nights was quite good, I agree there's been some howlers and awful guests.
    Given the turnover of presenters in this slot, I'd say she'll be off to Drivetime or another daytime programme in September.

It's a pity, because politcians often speak more freely on the Late Debate, because it's probably too late for any of their comments to make the newspapers, listenership is low, and sometimes they're just tired.

They're not as constrained as when they speak on the Claire Byrne show or the News At One. The waffle-quotient is smaller than on other RTE programmes, it's less choreographed.

Vincent Browne used to host this programme, I daresay it was the inspiration for his TV show because of the above reasons.

Given the turnover of presenters in this slot, I'd say she'll be off to Drivetime or another daytime programme in September.

It's a pity, because politcians often speak more freely on the Late Debate, because it's probably too late for any of their comments to make the newspapers, listenership is low, and sometimes they're just tired.

They're not as constrained as when they speak on the Claire Byrne show or the News At One. The waffle-quotient is smaller than on other RTE programmes, it's less choreographed.

Vincent Browne used to host this programme, I daresay it was the inspiration for his TV show because of the above reasons.

It would be a pity, I actually thinks she done alright in what is a difficult gig.

I see local to me an established development of 12 houses being sold in one lot, all rented privately, will be curious if its another fund buying them. I believe a liquidation sale and presume individual tenants not offered a chance to buy homes their renting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It would be a pity, I actually thinks she done alright in what is a difficult gig.

very short season.. how many weeks 5 or 6 since John Kenny's rock hour finished?

very short season.. how many weeks 5 or 6 since John Kenny's rock hour finished?

Not sure but doesn't this and other similar style shows, the week in politics etc run when the Dail is in session, our delightful TD"s off on extended break soon as too will most of RTEs news room which always astonished me that a public service organisation would permit most of its senior presenters, reports, news anchors dissappear for almost 8 weeks, every year and all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Not sure but doesn't this and other similar style shows, the week in politics etc run when the Dail is in session, our delightful TD"s off on extended break soon as too will most of RTEs news room which always astonished me that a public service organisation would permit most of its senior presenters, reports, news anchors dissappear for almost 8 weeks, every year and all at the same time.

At least it's an improvement on the boom times when they all headed off for June, July and August, and the stand-ins needed stand-ins - e.g "welcome to the Marian Finnucane Show, with Myles Dungan standing in for Rachel English!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To be fair, with the tds off, it'd be very hard to get people into studio.

I enjoyed the season with Katie, although they could do with more variety of the guests if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

dulpit wrote: »
    To be fair, with the tds off, it'd be very hard to get people into studio.

I enjoyed the season with Katie, although they could do with more variety of the guests if possible.

Agree there, the same old voices, especially from the opposition at every event going,as it were.

In my opinion Hannon should moderate instead of always taking the anti govt side.

She is not an interrogator as I see it and therefore needs to balance the ‘panel’ better.

The auld VB tactic of softening up the ‘victim’ and turning on the hounds while goading them on needs to be addressed.

The panel need to directed to address each other’s points of view without the ‘chairperson’ taking sides.

She introduced a dude the other night as a ‘Proud Republican’ in a tone that indicated, to me anyway, that she was very favourable to that viewpoint

Now nothing wrong with that , but I never heard her introduce anyone as “A proud XXXParty member.”

A lot of little backlights in the programme which only the perceptive listener can twig.

These need to be cleaned out ,I feel, if serious folk want to take the programme seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Katie has been a fairly regular stand in on Liveline so could be heading there again with the regular unusually clocking in most of the time over the last 6 months. Likely to be heading away for a long break as restrictions are lifted. A short run for the Late Debate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nah….. wouldn’t agree.

Very poor speech delivery, don’t think she would have the delivery for a daytime show.

Way too many ‘uhmmms and ahhs’ all with a staccato like delivery.

Not for me ,I’m afraid.

Advertisement