Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aviation vloggers - is there any point?

• 10-06-2021 11:02am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen YouTube videos from the like of Sam Chui, Noel Phillips, and Jeb Brookes.

Do you think these guys should be flying at present? Is it really necessary?

p.s. c.90% of passengers fly economy but the vloggers tend to go primarily business/first class. How relevant is that to most?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

At least 90% of vlogs are pointless.... be they aviation or otherwise...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭sailing

I've seen YouTube videos from the like of Sam Chui, Noel Phillips, and Jeb Brookes.

Do you think these guys should be flying at present? Is it really necessary?

p.s. c.90% of passengers fly economy but the vloggers tend to go primarily business/first class. How relevant is that to most?

It’s as relevant to those that support them through following them. If it’s not your thing it shouldn’t really affect you.

Flight shaming has been one of the most disgusting elements of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

You might be missing the point of these types of channels. It is more about the escape while watching rather than any reality they portray. It's just an easy watch. Not necessary and they probably shouldn't be travelling but they give those stuck at home something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I enjoy some aviation vlogs and flight reviews, often from much smaller channels because it’s usually more genuine and unbiased, they can be mildly entertaining if you’re an aviation enthusiast but it’s an otherwise pointless exercise.

The larger channels are either full of click bait titles (Noel Philips) or very obviously paid for by certain airlines (Sam Chui) and you end up seeing more of their face gurning into the camera with faux excitement than the actual aviation content you wanted to see.

As for travel during the pandemic, Noel Philips has managed to upload 60+ videos in the past year, he’s been to Africa, Asia, North and Central American and Europe in that short time. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t feel like a bit like a slap in the face to everyone who stayed home.

I guess it comes down to what you believe, are we the fools for listening to our governments and staying home or are they the selfish ones for ignoring what was almost always just “advice” and travelling the globe for their social media career?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Question asked and answered.
    If you don't like the vlogs you don't have to watch them. The flights are happening regardless of whether there is a vlogger onboard

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement