Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent paid during covid while property being used

• 01-12-2020 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My daughter attends DCU. I paid 6380 euros for a shared apartment in gateway student village ballymun. From 2st September 2019 until 22nd may 2021. Because of covid 19 restrictions, university was done on line and government rulings of non movement with counties meant that she could not go back to the apartment after the holidays that were from 7th March. I contacted the student village and said due to circumstances beyond our control, I will no longer need the room from 7th march. I asked for a refund for the remaining 2 and half months but was told no. Can anyone help with this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

I dont see any replies to your post. 
    A few mistakes on your part....let me explain (and for the record I do not have any affiliation with student accommodation in Dublin).

In no particular order :)

* You paid all 9 months rent in one payment...big mistake! In Dublin you pay 3 to 4 months at a time, any more than that you're being ripped off. Example..you pay Sept to December in one payment, January to March or May in the second payment, April to May in the 3rd payment if not already included in the second payment. These payments are wire transfers to the agent for the accommodation.

* Students accommodation is charged per calendar month regardless of what date in September they move in, they are being charged from 1st Sept to 31st May. IF students have exams that run into JUNE...that's a separate lease agreement to be signed.

* Due to COVID restrictions in 2020 and 2021 including travel restrictions your daughter was allowed per the Government's rules to return to her apartment after Christmas (or any time during college months) even if she could not access the college itself. She could have done her lessons via zoom from her apartment as most students did. Students and essential workers were allowed to travel during COVID lockdowns and during travel restrictions. 

* If you read your lease agreement it will clearly state that if for whatever reason the student vacates the property BEFORE their time is up (31st May) they forfeit all and any payments already made including deposit.

So over all, sorry hun but you have no come back, not even due to COVID. How do I know this ?  Because I'm a landlord for student accommodation in another county (not Dublin) and my students came back after Halloween, Christmas and Easter, and they did their lesson in the house via zoom.

May I suggest...next time you actually read the lease agreement before signing it and actually listen to the Government's ruling during COVID lockdowns / travel restrictions. 

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭demello

Hi Mrs Doubt Fire,

With the new law just passed in early July, I understand that a student is now permitted to give 28 days notice, and thus will not have to pay for a full year if they leave early. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

DM

Advertisement