Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 throwaway4092

Hey guys, regular poster but throwaway for privacy reasons. I have recently went through a circumcision and wanted to give me feedback (35M).

I remember about 12 years ago getting vertically cuts on my foreskin that were sore / uncomfortable. As a young man, it was harder to heal and a trip to the doctor recommended some steroid cream which helped and it went away. Over the years, it continued to happen every now and again and I would just use some moisturizer of sorts and time to let it heal.

Recently this has bothered me even more, refusing to heal so I started investigating the idea of a circumcision. While I didn't have full blown phimosis, I couldn't pull back my foreskin without reopening the cuts and even when it was "fine", sex / masturbation caused it to open again. Since the skin was loosing it's elasticity, I decided to go for it. I am not overly sensitive but I liked the idea of a clean cut and better sex life (since it was not existent at the moment for fear of pain).

I went with Gentle Procedures in Naas privately, €1300 all in for the initial consultation, procedure and all follow up appointments which I thought was very reasonable. I wanted to (pardon the pun) nip this in the bud before I got much older, the pandemic timing also helps. 1 week after my consultation, I was able to get it done.

Day 1: I came in at 11 and was gone at 12.30 after some juice + biscuits. I didn't specify a type of circumcision, I just wanted the damaged skin gone. The Pollock method they use requires no stitches, only glue. The wife had to drive me home that day, didn't sleep after the local anaesthetic and just took it easy.

Day 2: No pain, feels perfectly fine. Painkillers taken by default every 4 hours (was given solpadol, didn't agree with me after a few days). The default wrapping for the first week is vaseline, jelolnet, coban wrap, gause poncho, then another coban.

Day 3: Back to clinic to get my wrap change and review of how I was progressing - all very happy and looking well. The wife came with me as recommended so she could see how the wrap is done and help me out.

Day 5: Discomfort starting now due to the glue, this was starting to touch off the head and cause me to jump lol. Changing the wrap not a problem on my own now. First nocturnal erection woke me up at 5AM - that hurt!

Day 7: Back for a checkup, wrap change and clean (again, all included in price). The doctor trimmed the excess glue to prevent the pain. Wrap is now reduced to vaseline, jelonlet and coban.

Day 10: The glue has came off! I just stood up at my desk and my bandage was off. A quick email to my doc with pics and he replied to say all is well, continue with dressings until 2 weeks gone and switch to poncho.

Day 14: Poncho on with vaseline only, feels so much better! The would is healing nicely and from the top, other than the band swelling, you wouldn't know it was even done. Did a walk today, felt good. Still have to use "tight briefs".

Day 18: That's today, another quick email overview with my doc who is very happy with the progress. Will switch to vaseline only from day 21 with a move to bio-oil in future to reduce any potential scarring. Very happy so far.

Overall, I feel like this was the best decision I've ever made. It has been virtually pain free (more discomfort every now and again) and I have huge relief knowing I won't have the fear of cuts down there and am really looking forward to trying it out. Recommended time is 5-6 weeks so that's what I'm going to do. I would highly recommend GP, from start to finish I felt listened to and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hey guys, regular poster but throwaway for privacy reasons. I have recently went through a circumcision and wanted to give me feedback (35M).

I remember about 12 years ago getting vertically cuts on my foreskin that were sore / uncomfortable. As a young man, it was harder to heal and a trip to the doctor recommended some steroid cream which helped and it went away. Over the years, it continued to happen every now and again and I would just use some moisturizer of sorts and time to let it heal.

Recently this has bothered me even more, refusing to heal so I started investigating the idea of a circumcision. While I didn't have full blown phimosis, I couldn't pull back my foreskin without reopening the cuts and even when it was "fine", sex / masturbation caused it to open again. Since the skin was loosing it's elasticity, I decided to go for it. I am not overly sensitive but I liked the idea of a clean cut and better sex life (since it was not existent at the moment for fear of pain).

I went with Gentle Procedures in Naas privately, €1300 all in for the initial consultation, procedure and all follow up appointments which I thought was very reasonable. I wanted to (pardon the pun) nip this in the bud before I got much older, the pandemic timing also helps. 1 week after my consultation, I was able to get it done.

Day 1: I came in at 11 and was gone at 12.30 after some juice + biscuits. I didn't specify a type of circumcision, I just wanted the damaged skin gone. The Pollock method they use requires no stitches, only glue. The wife had to drive me home that day, didn't sleep after the local anaesthetic and just took it easy.

Day 2: No pain, feels perfectly fine. Painkillers taken by default every 4 hours (was given solpadol, didn't agree with me after a few days). The default wrapping for the first week is vaseline, jelolnet, coban wrap, gause poncho, then another coban.

Day 3: Back to clinic to get my wrap change and review of how I was progressing - all very happy and looking well. The wife came with me as recommended so she could see how the wrap is done and help me out.

Day 5: Discomfort starting now due to the glue, this was starting to touch off the head and cause me to jump lol. Changing the wrap not a problem on my own now. First nocturnal erection woke me up at 5AM - that hurt!

Day 7: Back for a checkup, wrap change and clean (again, all included in price). The doctor trimmed the excess glue to prevent the pain. Wrap is now reduced to vaseline, jelonlet and coban.

Day 10: The glue has came off! I just stood up at my desk and my bandage was off. A quick email to my doc with pics and he replied to say all is well, continue with dressings until 2 weeks gone and switch to poncho.

Day 14: Poncho on with vaseline only, feels so much better! The would is healing nicely and from the top, other than the band swelling, you wouldn't know it was even done. Did a walk today, felt good. Still have to use "tight briefs".

Day 18: That's today, another quick email overview with my doc who is very happy with the progress. Will switch to vaseline only from day 21 with a move to bio-oil in future to reduce any potential scarring. Very happy so far.

Overall, I feel like this was the best decision I've ever made. It has been virtually pain free (more discomfort every now and again) and I have huge relief knowing I won't have the fear of cuts down there and am really looking forward to trying it out. Recommended time is 5-6 weeks so that's what I'm going to do. I would highly recommend GP, from start to finish I felt listened to and comfortable.

Great feedback, nice to see what the other procedures are like.

For anyone interested, i got my statement back from VHI. Looks like they paid Mater Private 1800 euro for my procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

o

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pearshaped21

Glad to hear all went well man! Very interesting to see how it's done differently too. I'm going in this week and man I'm so nervous! I'm going into hospital for mine with a gen anesthetic. As far as I know I'm having the dorsal slit method. I asked about style but was sharply told 'It's just a circumcision'. Still tho it's gotta be better than the phimosis I have now!

Hello all. Got the chop last week. All seems to be going well now but I’m an awful patient ��I’m nearly a week on now and still gave a good bit of swelling at the base of my penis. Is this normal? I believe they gave me a nerve block to help with the pain post op. Also have awful sore muscles from the gen anaesthetic... anybody have this too?

• Advertisement

Hello all. Got the chop last week. All seems to be going well now but I’m an awful patient ��I’m nearly a week on now and still gave a good bit of swelling at the base of my penis. Is this normal? I believe they gave me a nerve block to help with the pain post op. Also have awful sore muscles from the gen anaesthetic... anybody have this too?

For 3 or 4 days after the anesthetic i was in bits. Sore, sleepy, loss of apetite.

In terms of swelling and the base of your penis, do you mean where the penis meets the body?

Yes that’s what I mean. It’s gone down a bit now in fairness but new issue with me (there’s always something I swear :p) one of my stitches popped and it looks like a second is about to but there’s no blood or anything so must be healed a good bit already if that’s the case.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    For 3 or 4 days after the anesthetic i was in bits. Sore, sleepy, loss of apetite.

In terms of swelling and the base of your penis, do you mean where the penis meets the body?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Josiff1986

Hi guys, stumbled across this forum as like you all im considering getting the chop. But I'm unsure if i would need it or not, so wondering if I can get a few questions out on here.
    I was taken to the doctors when I was about eleven with phimosis, over time my foreskin was able to retract, but now in my 30s I realise its not right. My foreskin does retract when flaccid but stays behind the glands, its not overly tight that it causes and issue but it has to be pushed back. When errect it gets stuck behind the glands, again its not that tight that it is going to cut off the circulation but it has to be forced back over.
    I've been having sex for over 20 years with my glands constantly exposed and now in my 30s I realise its supposed to glide with no issues. I did go to a doctor a few years back I was having a few issues but he said stretching just like they did when I was young, but I've been doing that years and it hasn't worked. It sounds strange but I thought it was normal, come to think of it the amount of times after sex I was sore is a lot. Also I have a short frenulum. Any body else have this sort of problem..?

I’d say get a cream from your doc and stick to stretching. I had to get it done because I couldn’t even get my small finger in my foreskin but you seem to have hope
    Josiff1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys, stumbled across this forum as like you all im considering getting the chop. But I'm unsure if i would need it or not, so wondering if I can get a few questions out on here.
    I was taken to the doctors when I was about eleven with phimosis, over time my foreskin was able to retract, but now in my 30s I realise its not right. My foreskin does retract when flaccid but stays behind the glands, its not overly tight that it causes and issue but it has to be pushed back. When errect it gets stuck behind the glands, again its not that tight that it is going to cut off the circulation but it has to be forced back over.
    I've been having sex for over 20 years with my glands constantly exposed and now in my 30s I realise its supposed to glide with no issues. I did go to a doctor a few years back I was having a few issues but he said stretching just like they did when I was young, but I've been doing that years and it hasn't worked. It sounds strange but I thought it was normal, come to think of it the amount of times after sex I was sore is a lot. Also I have a short frenulum. Any body else have this sort of problem..?

I would agree, if you have any hope of saving it, i would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Josiff1986

So i went to see the doctor today, told him what is going on. He took a look, pulled back my foreskin about half way. And he said it....a circumcision it is.
    Thing is I'm thinking the doc is a bit biased, he's Muslim and he himself is circumcised, we chatted for a while and he explained they do it for religious reasons and so on, he said that I could try stretching with the cream but it could still cause problems, he also mentioned the dorsal procedure but again he said it can cause problems due thick skin on the slit.
    Anyways he booked me an appointment with a urologist, and prescribed me the cream to try stretching so I will try that and if it fails looks like its the chop..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Josiff1986 - sorry to learn of your phimosis problem. Sex is something which should be enjoyable.

My story is that I was circumcised for no good reason when I was about one year old. During childhood and teen years I was acutely embarrassed in male-naked type company. Anyway, with careful pulling on the remaining penis skin I was able to "grow" what looks and acts very like a natural foreskin.
    If I can expand that amount of skin, you can easily open up the extreme end of your foreskin so that it becomes useable.

Best wishes

I would suggest that you get a second opinion, as it should be a choice you make. My surgery was necessary as the foreskin was too badly damaged to save, but yours could be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭ofthelord

Hi Folks,

Just spotted this thread today when browsing Boards as I'm lying in bed bored. Last month my GP referred me to Urologist in the Beacon, had consultation with Urologist early Sept, and had my circumcision completed yesterday.

Now just hoping the recovery is as painless as possible!

I've had no pain yet following the procedure - long my that last.

I'm still bandaged up and have been advised to leave it bandaged until tomorrow before washing. One thing I found out after my first time going for a wee is that it is best to sit down for them for the time being.

I know everyone will heal at different speeds, but can anyone here give an idea how long it was before you were able to exercise again? I generally tend to get out for a run or cycle most days and I expect to go a bit stir crazy without this - I'm guessing it may be longer before I'm running again due to the rubbing on the shorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bellatwin13

Hi all,

Just went to my GP and got referred for circumcision today on the public system. Do many people have much experience with how long one would expect to be on the waiting list? If it's too long I'll have to consider private so would appreciate any experience that people had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 newcut

Hi all,

Like others have followed here for some time and found some good info, thanks to all who posted before.

I got referred private by my GP last December but didn’t get to see the Urologist until the end of July. Had the op done yesterday so took a long time overall but glad to finally have it over. No real pain so far, bandage came off today and have some discomfort but very manageable overall. Was expecting it to look worse, looks a bit messy underneath but was expecting that from reading other posts. Still swollen as well but I think that’s expected too so soon after.

Planning to give it at least up to 2 weeks before I go back to running or exercise, don’t want to risk doing any damage and defo couldn’t do much yet, a short walk today was as much as I could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Something I've lived with for a while, have tried the steroid cream and found it really impractical so decided I wanted to go surgerical route. Not sure if allowed but any recommendations on where to get the procedure done.Was in with GP who stated it wasn't required but gave a referral to a urologist either way. I just don't feel comfortable have sex at times and there's a fear that I want be able to get the foreskin back over the hood.i Will be going private most likely somewhere in Dublin, city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Hi

Booked in for mine in 3 weeks in Clane

Been waiting a good while to have it looked at, always had a very tight foreskin and gave me issues

I'm getting under general anesthetic i'm told and will be in for 4-6 hours total in hospital

Nervous but looking forward to having no issues regarding sex in the future 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭FinnC

Haven’t read through all this thread so sorry if it’s been asked before.

My 4 year old has had a few infections (Balanitis) lately and the doctor is recommending he gets circumcised. I’m terrified we are making a mistake going ahead with it and he will resent us when he’s older.

The Doctor said it’s nothing to worry about, but did say himself even, that he’s Muslim so it’s very common for his culture and understands our concerns as it’s not so common for us. I’m just wondering would someone who isn’t Muslim be as quick to recommend it.

Even the HSE website states it’s very rare for a circumcision to be needed.

I dunno,I know I should just go along with Doctors advice but I’m just worried about my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Advertisement

Had my operation on Monday

Went really well. Sore a bit and uncomfortable

Very happy with things so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would get a second opinion I think. I had it done for medical reasons age 8 and now at 30 I can masturbate fine but I do find sex sometimes challenging

• Registered Users Posts: 1 c_ellis92

This has been by far the best thread I’ve come across to help me through my circumcision worries! I thank you all.

I had my op in the first week of December and now fully recovered.

However, I now have a major concern. Whenever my partner and I have sexual intercourse and/or oral sex, I really struggle to feel anything at all. I get an erection, but they don’t last very long and I’ve not even managed to reach orgasm and/or ejaculate. Even when we have intercourse I might as well be humping air as I just can’t feel anything. I’ve tried to masterbate too and even with that I’m really struggling. I can’t seem to find a rhythm and again, no to little sensation.

When I had foreskin it was the movement of skin over the head/gland that provided the sensation. Now it’s gone I’m really starting to worry and it’s impacting my mentality and sex drive.

Just wondered if anyone has or is going through similar problems after their circumcision? Any advice on to improve sensation?

Im actually in the opposite boat as you, im now more sensitive than i was pre-circumcision.

Have you tried sensation enhancing lube?

My first go round after the operation and it was very different but I have gotten used to it now. Lasting a bit longer now which has been an unexpected bonus.

I definitely recommend Lube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Thanks for all this advice lads from last year! I am having my operation tomorrow.

A lot of stuff is going through my head! I am sh1tting a brick!

I'm wondering if the stitches burst. When is it a normal occurrence? should it happen at all?

Will I be able to walk normally? Can I go from 2 miles walks?

Will I be able to do housework?

I took time off work until Monday week the 30th! Is this enough time. I was only told to book off a week. But I guess the extra 2 days ain't gonna hurt.

The stitches can come out but as long as there’s not much bleeding no need to worry.

No 2 mile walks at the beginning, start short and work your way up there over a week or 2.

A week off should be fine provided all goes well and there’s no issues with infection after or anything.

Wht sort of housework do you mean? Wouldn’t be hoovering or mopping or things that involve bending but light housework that’s not too stenosis should be fine. I was still living with my parents at the time I was done so not an expert here

Thanks for this!

In the end, I have avoided the housework. As I stayed with my parents like yourself.

I am going back to work on Monday and while I am looking forward to getting back I am fearing any heavy lifting. I read on the HSE website that you should avoid heavy lifting for 4 weeks. Which I thought was a very long time.

I had my surgery this day last week. I was kinda uncomfortable from day 3,4,5 as the head was very tender. I see that yesterday that the stitches are dissolving now. I thought I had an infection last Tuesday. But the doctor (Who was right) was happy enough that it wasn't infected and was just part of the healing process.

I wouldn’t be lifting weights in the gym or heavy shopping bags but lifting light stuff should be ok. Are you having any problems going for number 2s? That was something I didn’t expect to be such a big issue.

I guess you’ll have to do housework before the 4 weeks is up though. Just be csreful reaching down and vigorous scrubbing

• Advertisement

Hi Gael,

Oh it would be lifting weight. I intended to join a gym, but I am holding off on that for 5 weeks.. I work in a kitchen as a chef though, so I would be lifting things like bags of rubbish, pots, pans and stuff like that as well as sweeping and mopping! How long would you have to hold off on lifting such? The doctor/nurses told me not to lift heavy things. Although I assumed that would only be for the 7 days which I'd be off..

What are the implications of lifting stuff anyway?? I never heard of this before..

Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement