Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Washington Commanders thread

Options
1505152535456»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

17 nil down to 24-17 up... just finish the game out now for a great start to the season

Wow, didn't see that coming at all. Especially after the way they started. This DL is going to be something special.

This DL is going to be something special.

I know the Philly OL was beat up and were throwing in scrubs but still

https://twitter.com/kylefstackpole/status/1305246376226418689

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Just seeing Alex Smith on the sideline was the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why haven't they picked a new name yet?
    Could they not just change it back to the Braves which was the name before the change?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why haven't they picked a new name yet?
    Could they not just change it back to the Braves which was the name before the change?

"It can take anything from 6 months to 2 years to change a team's name"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/sports/football/washington-name-change-trademark.html

Not sure if you're joking or not with suggesting going back to the Braves considering the Indians, Chiefs, Atlanta Braves and Blackhawks are all getting some pushback on their connection to Native Americans (although not to the extent as Washington did) but Washington has come out and said that the new name will have no connection to Native Americans.

And while I don't believe him, Snyder has said that they might leave it as Washington Football Team.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-nfl-owner-dan-snyder-says-his-team-may-have-already-found-its-permanent-name/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean they call it the team with no name but it is how most sports operate. But franchises tend to be less about the area they are from than teams in a lot of other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can understand Native Americans not being happy about Redskins. Braves, Chiefs and Indians are not nearly as controversisl. I don't even know what a blackhawk is, thought it was a bird, a type of hawk.
    Anyways it's safe to see them without a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

"It can take anything from 6 months to 2 years to change a team's name"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/sports/football/washington-name-change-trademark.html

Not sure if you're joking or not with suggesting going back to the Braves considering the Indians, Chiefs, Atlanta Braves and Blackhawks are all getting some pushback on their connection to Native Americans (although not to the extent as Washington did) but Washington has come out and said that the new name will have no connection to Native Americans.

And while I don't believe him, Snyder has said that they might leave it as Washington Football Team.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-nfl-owner-dan-snyder-says-his-team-may-have-already-found-its-permanent-name/

Agreed, American settlers committed one of the biggest acts of genocide against the native population and then some rich white men decided to use them as mascots for their teams, putting them alongside mostly a bunch of animals. Saying they should be ok with their people being used as a mascot is like saying it would be ok for a German soccer team to call themselves 'The Jews' (aware of Godwin's law but in this case they are actually both cases of genocide). Washington attempting to move from an openly racist name to one that still attached to Native Americans would have been a terrible move, though given Snyder's history I wouldn't have been surprised if he tried it.

As for Blackhawks, a Black Hawk is what they called a battle/war leader in some Native American tribes in their area, hence why they the team has an image of a Native American on their logo instead of a hawk. There is no way to claim they are called after a bird

And we're back to reality. OL was awful and the offence generally was as bad as we were led to believe it would be. But damn, Tyler Murray was just too good.

Brandon Scherff (their only semi-competent OL) out for 3-5 weeks with MCL sprain. Haskins going to spend a lot of time on his ass the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

A very nice suprise seeing that result this morning, shocked is an understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Absolutely... going for the 2 points v Giants may come back to haunt us

Chase Young is an absolute monster. Has totally grabbed this game by the scruff of the neck

Big chance to win the East now thanks to the giants result last night, I'd be pretty confident of winning our last 2 games, they'll both be tight games though I think

Heinike is having a great game tbf, one for the furure

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Philco71

Ikozma wrote: »
    Heinike is having a great game tbf, one for the furure

He played well. Bit of hope for the future.

Well that was a roller coaster, just couldn’t get enough pressure on Brady.
    Heinike was excellent and his mobility was very impressive but they need to sign him up straight away as he is now a free agent and put himself in the shop window with that display. Certainly much more positive about a new season in Sept than I have been in years, team being built from the back which is what gives you the solid foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Ryan Kerrigan off to Philadelphia.

Couple of years ago this would have been a disaster but at this point the starting D Line is extremely strong. Just hope the back ups are decent.

Ryan Kerrigan off to Philadelphia.

Couple of years ago this would have been a disaster but at this point the starting D Line is extremely strong. Just hope the back ups are decent.

Shame, one of my fav players, I have him on back of my jersey

• Advertisement

What do you guys think about the signing of Ryan Fitzpatrick?
    I presume he has been signed as the staring quarter back bit I think he is.
    I think he is Quite inconsistent and streaky. Now the stats may not back that up but that is just my impression of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Commanders, Admirals, Armada, Brigade, Sentinels, Defenders, Red Hogs, Presidents and the status quo “Washington Football Team” are among the finalists

I will love it if they name it Red Hogs. With a hog on the helmet!

Second fav would be Presidents with current president on the helmet! Imagine Trump Face!

So Commanders it is, not bad I suppose but actually just prefer Washington Football Team but don’t suppose that really cuts it from a merchandising / commercial perspective

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Did we get anything interesting in the draft??

Just had a look there now,I thought we would have concentrated on the ol but obviously not

Advertisement