Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring Arrivals

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sand Martins confirmed here (Enniscorthy) today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Finally had my first Swallow yesterday (second today) and first Chiffchaff today, in north Wicklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Our first swallow arrived on Wednesday. Flying and chatting about the farm patiently waiting for its friends.
    Today we heard our first cuckoo. In the distance but as distinctive as ever.
    Every year for about the last 10 these new arrivals have been a day or two apart.
    Willow warblers have also arrived.
    Co. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

My swallows arrived this week, happy days :)

Co. Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

A Wheatear on Sutton beach today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

when will we hear the cuckoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

fryup wrote: »

Heard one today here in the hills of south Kerry.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it too late to put up a bird box?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Swallows in Skibbereen today!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Hi Folks

Delighted to discover we have a robins' nest in the garden. Haven't gone near the nest, it's well hidden under a very lush growth of creeper overhanging the juncture of two walls, just wondering if there's anything I can do to give the chicks (sounds like there's at least four of them in there) the best chance, other than keeping next door's cat at bay? Both parents are being super attentive.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I saw a Hoopoe 2 days ago for the first time ever. He was been chased by a greyback crow, at first I thought it was a cuckoo until it flew very close to me. What a bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

fryup wrote:

Heard one in Wexford on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heard the Grasshopper Warbler over the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bella Bee

Heard a cuckoo in Limerick this morning.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Delighted to discover we have a robins' nest in the garden. Haven't gone near the nest, it's well hidden under a very lush growth of creeper overhanging the juncture of two walls, just wondering if there's anything I can do to give the chicks (sounds like there's at least four of them in there) the best chance, other than keeping next door's cat at bay? Both parents are being super attentive.

Thanks!

I haven't seen the parents at all since Tuesday. I'm devastated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Perhaps the chicks have fledged?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Perhaps the chicks have fledged?

I'd love to think that's it but I'm sure I would have seen them. Also, would the parents abandon the nest immediately afterwards?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I'd love to think that's it but I'm sure I would have seen them. Also, would the parents abandon the nest immediately afterwards?

Chicks are usually in the nest for around two weeks - depends on how old/well grown they were when you found the nest? You would probably expect to see fledglings around the garden alright though...

Moved home yesterday after 5 months in my family home for lockdown and my robins are back. Absolutely delighted!

Advertisement