Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Mets Discussion

• 06-05-2021 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

The Mets have gotten off to an OK start for the most part. deGrom has been magic as always, but they haven't been hitting the ball. Worst percentage in the league with RISP.

Were they right to fire Chili Davis & Tom Slater? Should they have been given more time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Last post was last year! Hey, we're doing even better than last year.

Anyone beside me on this thread ever see Seaver pitch for the Mets live? Great job on the statue. I was at the game when he returned to the team from Cincinnati, it was thrilling. He wasn't the same pitcher anymore, but what a great moment.

And the money sure seems well spent, except for Scherzer. Though, he'll come back in like July along with de Grom and the team will be even scarier.

Apparently the largest division lead on 1 June (10.5 games) since 1971 Giants. Of course, it's June 1 and the team hasn't faced a lot of adversity.

Dom Smith optioned to AAA, perhaps he'll remember how to hit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

I think the Mets Need a bit of luck to win the National League.

Baseball is a confidence Sport as you well know. I can only imagine what it is like to face a 105 mile fast Ball.

Baseball wouldn't be my first Sport. But its a good thing to have on in the background while doing jobs like cleaning or gardening.

Lots of time left and there are good teams out there. Looking forward to these upcoming series against the Dodgers and the Padres on the left coast. Been playing a lot of weak teams like the Phillies and Nats, the Phillies look really awful in the field, give off a 'bad news bears' vibe.

Would love to be at some of the Subway Series games at Citi. Those'll be great if both teams are in/around 1st place in July.

• Advertisement

Big series coming up against the Dodgers in LA. Seems they just got swept at home by the Pirates. I wonder if @bazwraf will catch the games....

Dodgers are playing a little strangely at the moment. Almost got swept at home to the Phillies, then won something liker 12 of their next 14, and then got swept by the Pirates.

Pitching has been a little daft and inconsistent.

Anyway, not got to watch anything but highlights so far this season. The 2 year old at home has had a major impact on my sleeping pattern.

Should be a good series though. Would rather it was in NY, so I could follow closer

Must Endure The Suffering. Outscored 22 -4 the last 3 games by two of the worst teams in both leagues. Wildcard hopefully

Where's the bottle of Powers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

So the Mets blow a ten game lead and collapse into the play-offs!! They'll probably go all the way now although the buzzsaw Dodgers will probably cut them down even if they get past the Padres...

Yeah, I've resigned myself to knowing they were going to play the Dodgers anyway. Sad thing is it's sooner than it would have been - if they'd won 1 game versus Atlanta in the last week(!) they'd have won the division, hosted the winner of the Atlanta/St. Louis series, then getting through that, playing the Dodgers. all other outcomes that week being the same. I will say they looked pretty worn out down the stretch and losing Starling Marte was bad, none of the rookie fill-ins did much. Jake and Max blew it though. Jake's looking pretty shaky lately, Oakland with a lineup of 'who?' lit him up pretty well. Might be hurt again and hiding it.

• Advertisement

Going to be a tough, tough winter. These opportunities don't come up too often. You'd have thought the 1986 Mets were going to be great for awhile, but no. Their best players all came up badly short in the last week and the rest of the team didn't pick up the load.

Ahh well, "Must Endure The Suffering"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

As a Cubs fan I can feel your pain. I know all about blown leads, bad breaks and sudden, inexplicable loss of form at crucial times!

I think Cubs and Mets have some history on this topic. 1969. 2015. 2015 the Cubs really gave the pennant to the Mets, Kyle Schwarber was laughably bad in the outfield.

And now Jacob de Grom will be pitching for the Texas Rangers. He wanted ridiculous money (got 5 years/$185m). Fragile, and wore down by the end of his abbreviated 2022 season.

But still. If you knew he was going to pitch that day, you found a way to see the game. Because who knows just what might've happened. And usually, he didn't disappoint. When he gave up 3 runs, it seemed like a rarity and an affront to Nature. At the beginning of his start or near the end, if he had to throw over 100mph, he did. And never wild.

I wish him well in Texas, though not when/if he pitches against the Mets. Be fun to catch a Rangers/Yankees game when he's pitching.

And now, the Met's starting pitching staff is: Scherzer, Carrasco (signed), Petersen and Williams. Bassit and Walker are unsigned, if they do re-sign, that'd be nice but nothing to get excited about.

Much discussion about Jason Verlander, eh, doesn't excite me. Rodon from the Giants might be nice, but who knows.

None of them will ever be as good as Jason de Grom in his prime pitching for the Mets. Might not ever see his like again. And Wheeler and Syndegaard pitch for Philadelphia. Ugh.

As a Dodgers fan, I'm jealous of what yeve just done. Was hoping we'd sign Verlander.

Now I can only hope himself and Max start showing their age, and Kershaw starts visiting the same fountain of youth that the two lads drink from

Let's see what Verlander has in the tank. If the Dodgers get Rodon, that's a big plus for them and a dagger into San Francisco.

At least Mrs. Verlander will be around...😛

I think this is one of the off seasons where the Dodgers stay quiet, and get below the luxury tax threshold.

They seem to repeat this every few years.

I've a feeling the Phillies are going to be another one of those teams, that "win" the offseason, and then absolutely miss their expectations massively

*Sorry, I know this is a Mets thread, so will stay quiet now :)

Phillies (them again) sign Tajuan Walker. Mets lose another starter to FA. Probably ups the pressure to bring Nimmo and Bassit back. Judge signed with the Yankees, probably was down to them and the Giants.

Offseason really has become a 'watch where the free agents go' nowadays.

Well, it's December. Plenty to do before the season starts.

Apparently this ad will be airing during the Super Bowl on Sunday:

In more interesting news, Spring Training starts Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

I’ve been to my share of big sports events in my time and I’d put the atmosphere at the game vs Cleveland in Citi Field Friday night up there with any of them. Alonso’s grand slam home run was unbelievable. The Mets are four down with the bases loaded and it was like everyone in the stadium knew he was going to hit one. It was just brilliant. They fell 2 behind again in the tenth but still pulled it out of the bag with 10-9 win.

I don’t really know enough about baseball to put a lot of detail on it and don’t intend to make a fool of myself by trying, but I do keep an eye on the Mets via social media as my American cousins are die hard Mets fans and season ticket holders. Alonso got the headlines obviously but I thought Lindor was outstanding. It was my second time at a game last night and in the words of a near 70 year old Irish-American lifelong Mets fan who was literally dancing a jig in the stands with two arms raised, it was “as good a game of baseball as you’re ever going to see.”

• Advertisement

2024 series in London v. Phillies, in June:

Advertisement