Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death and strange things

Options
  • 10-04-2021 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was just after watching a funeral Director being interviewed on the Tommy Teirnan Show.

He shared his feelings of death and the spirit world. He provided an example of a situation where a picture fell off the wall when he opened a coffin for a wake.

Have any of you encountered strange things happening after the death of a love one or family member? Or heard of any unusual or strange things happening ?

When I was 8, my grandad was being waked overnight in the house. The immediate family was in the room and we heard three bangs/loud noises coming from under the stairs. There was nothing under the Timber stairs but a sweeping brush and my grandfathers coat.

I know a lot of people would consider this to be coincidence.

Would be interested to hear any other experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

I can remember when my dad died the cuckoo clock stopped working. Don’t know if this was a coincidence or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Imho it's all coincidence.

There are always cases where you could point to something and say, "ah that's a sign".

But in the circumstances perhaps a lot of people are looking out for such a thing, so they will attribute something happening to be supernatural rather than just normal life. A picture falls off a wall, why isn't it just a loose nail rather than a dead person making it fall?

I'm sure the vast vast majority of deaths and wakes pass without any 'signs' at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,415 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Confirmation bias unfortunately. We want to imagine those whom have died are still with us somehow, so we look for things which confirm this (ie, pictures falling off walls at wakes and banging noises) when they're all just coincidences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

even more unfortunately coincidence is a word that doesnt actually explain anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

Experiences and beliefs regarding strange occurrences or supernatural phenomena after the death of a loved one vary widely among individuals and cultures. While some people may attribute such events to supernatural or spiritual influences, others may explain them as coincidences or tricks of perception.

It's important to recognize that personal experiences and interpretations can differ greatly, and what one person considers significant or meaningful may be seen differently by another. Some individuals may have had experiences they believe to be signs or communications from a deceased loved one, while others may not have encountered any such occurrences.

If you're interested in hearing about other people's experiences, it might be beneficial to engage in discussions within spiritual or paranormal communities, or seek out personal accounts shared online or in books about the topic. It can be enlightening to explore the diverse range of beliefs and experiences surrounding life, death, and the afterlife.

Remember that personal anecdotes and experiences should be approached with an open mind and a healthy level of skepticism. Different individuals may interpret events differently based on their beliefs, cultural backgrounds, and personal experiences.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

well no, they are coincidences/tricks of perception. Read my post above from a year ago re confirmation bias.

Yes it's lovely to allow people their beliefs and whatever helps them deal with the sadness of death.

If you are actually genuinely interested in facts, then you'll know that all of these things are nonsense.

James Randi had a 'One Million Dollar Challenge' for anyone who could prove the existence of the paranormal.

As you can imagine, it was never claimed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi#One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

Randi's challenge was a bit ingenuous in that it focused solely on mediumship - since you cant just ask a ghost to appear on prompt. We know nothing about the universe, the world and spirituality - but then again I suppose all you have to do is look back over the years and see how science has progressed from inaccurate ideas, to research, to accepting new ideas. you cant claim science and then decide you know it all. science is about learning and discovery - not saying 'thats crap because ...science' . We'd never learn a thing that way.

Master of the Universe

Science is about learning and discovery, yes.

Belief in the paranormal is not. It is the complete antithesis of science. Rather than actually trying to find the truth of a situation, It's about equating unexplained things with unseen powers and forces for an easy answer. A picture fell off the wall at a funeral? Must be ghosts so, clearly couldn't have been the thousands of other completely explainable natural causes.

There's zero evidence of the existence of anything paranormal and the burden of proof lies on the person claiming the supernatural exists.

'belief' - if something requires belief then its obviously something that cannot be proved. the problem is some think just because something cant be proved now, then it will never be proved. that thinking is not scientific thinking.

btw - what would suffice to 'prove' the paranormal to you? I cant think of any format - outside of your own personal experience - that couldn't be faked. thats where we are at present. Some people experience things they cant prove they experienced and others demand proof knowing full well theres no way to do that. my personal opinion is I couldnt give a fig who believes if a paranormal experience happened or not. right now, where we are and with the knowledge we have, theres no way of proving anything paranormal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

Experiences and beliefs surrounding strange occurrences or paranormal phenomena after the death of a loved one vary greatly among individuals and cultures. While some people may attribute such incidents to coincidences or natural explanations, others may interpret them as signs or messages from the spirit world. It's important to recognize that these experiences are highly personal and subjective. Many people have reported various phenomena or unusual occurrences that they associate with the presence or communication of deceased loved ones. These can include things like unexplained sounds, objects moving, electrical disturbances, vivid dreams, or sensing a loved one's presence. Such experiences can bring comfort and a sense of connection for those who believe in an afterlife or spiritual realm. It's worth noting that there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of an afterlife or the ability of the deceased to interact with the living. Skeptics often attribute these experiences to psychological and emotional factors, coincidences, misinterpretations, or the natural workings of the environment. Ultimately, whether one believes in such experiences or not is a personal matter influenced by cultural, religious, and individual beliefs. If you have had or heard of experiences that seem unusual or related to the presence of a deceased loved one, it can be helpful to discuss them with others who share similar beliefs or seek comfort and understanding through support groups or counseling. It's important to approach these topics with an open mind and respect for different perspectives and beliefs.

Master of the Universe

We live on a planet of almost 9 billion people with an estimated 15 billion phones recording photos and video 24/7 all over the earth. At all times.

Were are the ghostly figures and videos? Where are the ghostly sound recordings? Where are the videos of people levitating, reading minds, seeing through time and doing other paranormal things?

We have never existed in a time where literally everything is always recorded, all of the time, all over the world. If there were ever a time that 'proof' of the paranormal were to exist, now is it.

What has happened though? The complete opposite. Far less people believe in the paranormal now as we live in an enlightened age of information. People can answer big questions without relying on paranormal silliness.

If you are telling me that the only way to experience the paranormal is 'within myself' by some experience that is entirely impossible to record or relate to anyone else - then I'm sorry to burst your bubble but you're probably just having at very least a mental episode or at worst a stroke.

Were are the ghostly figures and videos? 

theres **** scores of them on the internet - jaysus wept. you cant prove the paranormal exists - i ask again, what 'proof' would you need? Show me a video, i say it could be fake. play me audio - anything could be recorded. theres tons of the stuff floating about if you bother looking mind you - though as I say, none of it is 'proof' of anything. mental episode or a stroke - you should be on the telly. Sure if you cant debate, be condescending eh?

in saying all that, i lived in a house for 20 years that had enough happening in it to make me wonder. you havent though, so therefore its all balls. good man.

What has happened though? The complete opposite. Far less people believe in the paranormal now as we live in an enlightened age of information. People can answer big questions without relying on paranormal silliness.

there are more paranormal videos floating around now than at any time over the past couple of decades. I cant fathom how you missed all the ufo videos for a start (none of which I would stand over as again, its video - it can be edited). look up some slapped ham on youtube (again - a lot of it is bollocks, but alot of it also shows people are doing exactly what you claim they aren't - videoing apparent paranormal occurrences). at least do some form of due diligence before making stupid statements like the above.

and where are you going with the 'within myself' line? whys that in quotes - thats nothing i typed. A first hand experience isnt 'within yourself', its a personal first hand paranormal experience which millions have had. They're all mental or having strokes though, right?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,985 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think wibago has been possessed by the ghost of chatgpt.

i'd say there are AI posters around. what better place to find lots of discussion, expression, use of terms etc than a web forum

Advertisement