Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Stuffable" rain jacket

• 27-07-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a lightweight rain jacket I can stuff in my jersey pocket. I've tried on the Bicycle Line Huston in Cyclesuperstore and it seemed fine but obviously I have no idea how it'll perform in practice. Does anyone else have any experience with it? Or - failing that - does anyone have a stuffable jacket they particular recommend? Assos Blitzfelder? Giordana SS12? etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I vaguely remember selling you a navy blue Zoot jacket a couple of years ago. Did I imagine it?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Picked up one of these today: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61519

packs up snug as a bug also very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

rflynnr wrote: »
    Looking to buy a lightweight rain jacket I can stuff in my jersey pocket. I've tried on the Bicycle Line Huston in Cyclesuperstore and it seemed fine but obviously I have no idea how it'll perform in practice. Does anyone else have any experience with it? Or - failing that - does anyone have a stuffable jacket they particular recommend? Assos Blitzfelder? Giordana SS12? etc.
    I use this one and can definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Picked one of these up in Eurocycles.
    Lightweight, rainproof and breathable.
    Rolls up into back pocket of jersey too.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/altura/ergofit-race-cape-jacket-ec025044

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I can recommend the Montane FeatherLite Velo Jacket - there's a free one for you in a ditch somewhere just outside Sneem on the Kenmare side.

Respectably wind and waterproof for it's size and weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Jawgap wrote: »
    I can recommend the Montane FeatherLite Velo Jacket - there's a free one for you in a ditch somewhere just outside Sneem on the Kenmare side.

I have one of those. I get wet while wearing it, either from rain or sweat (the ventilation is a bit rubbish), and it therefore needs washing quite often... so bye-bye waterproofing unless you get the Nikwax out. The only use I've found for it is as a packable windproof hi-vis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I like the DHB Wispa , although not for long heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Lumen wrote: »
    I vaguely remember selling you a navy blue Zoot jacket a couple of years ago. Did I imagine it?
    I also vaguely recall you selling it but - crucially - not to me.

Seweryn wrote: »
    I use this one and can definitely recommend it.

Good god, that's expensive. Makes Assos look positively affordable. I am a bit of of fan of Gore though. In your experience how tough is the material? Likely to rip on the first thorn it snags on or more forgiving?

Jawgap wrote: »

Oddly enough I used to have one of these. It too awaits discovery somewhere between Sally Gap and Blessington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rflynnr wrote: »
    Good god, that's expensive. Makes Assos look positively affordable. I am a bit of of fan of Gore though. In your experience how tough is the material? Likely to rip on the first thorn it snags on or more forgiving?

I have a Gore Oxygen III which is probably quite similar. It very rarely gets used as most conditions are either not wet enough or too cold for it. Tough enough though.

I ended up buying an Assos Luftschutz from Cyclesuperstore. Even on sale it was €170 but it was kind of an emergency as I had to have something for the Tour of Meath. That said, it's stunningly effective: in the comically wet downpower that marked the latter stages of the day it pretty much kept me dry and proved remarkably breathable. Definitely worth considering as Cyclesuperstore's price matches/improves anything I could find on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I bought the Altura pocket rocket from great outdoors a few weeks back, €90, completely waterproof - and it's been tested thoroughly in these downpours.
    being so waterproof it's not so breathable and is a bit warm to wear if it's not raining in these temps, but in a few weeks when it gets colder it will be perfect to wear when not raining.
    Scrunches up really small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Got mine in LIDL for a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

route66 wrote: »
    Got mine in LIDL for a tenner

I've the aldi one, it stuffs under the saddle. Keeps me dry and stuffs away

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

BX 19 wrote: »
    I've the aldi one, it stuffs under the saddle. Keeps me dry and stuffs away

Have the lidl/aldi one as well. Not breathable but kept it in my jersey pocket with my arm warmers so I have them when needed in Irelands changable weather conditions.

Advertisement