Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2019, 19:28   #16
_Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorg View Post
I don’t get the reason for having to lie especially when it involves someone’s livelihood, meat is too cheap, when it is priced correctly, I would expect consumption to decrease and herd owners income to increase at least that’s how I hope it happens.

Some people see their belief system as morally superior to others, it’s a slippery slope imo.
The price of meat is way too cheap to reflect its actual intrinsic value upnto and including that the animal died to provide it, that’s not lost on farmers,

But there is no point in meat costing 50% more if the farmer doesn’t get a fair share. The race to the bottom to turn meat into a commodity rather than a premium product has been a big problem. That is why smaller niche butchers with their own liking facilities should always be supported above Tesco and their ilk.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-05-2019, 19:30   #17
_Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass fused light View Post
Can anyone argue that 1 death per 3,600 babies is an acceptable mortality rate.
Of course not.
This wasn’t a1:3,600 chance of a reaction to something or a freak accident with those odds.

This was a premeditated planned approach by two adults which resulted in the death of a child
Thanks from:
28-05-2019, 12:41   #18
Vexorg

One response to the Belgiums from the US "Physicians Committee for responsible medicine".

"Physicians Committee's response" [This is a link to a pdf of the letter]

The physicians committee base much of their argument on this paper "Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian Diets" [This is a link to a pdf]. I found this a good read it was written for dietitian nutritionists and dietetics technicians, covers the nutrition considerations for vegetarians, (protein, vitamins and minerals) and is one of the more balanced papers I have read about plant based diet in a good while.
28-05-2019, 21:56   #19
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorg View Post
One response to the Belgiums from the US "Physicians Committee for responsible medicine".

"Physicians Committee's response" [This is a link to a pdf of the letter]

The physicians committee base much of their argument on this paper "Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian Diets" [This is a link to a pdf]. I found this a good read it was written for dietitian nutritionists and dietetics technicians, covers the nutrition considerations for vegetarians, (protein, vitamins and minerals) and is one of the more balanced papers I have read about plant based diet in a good while.
A significant criticism of that document has been that both authors of that paper are vegan (one is also a seventh day adventist*). In addition it appears that majority of the reviewers of said paper are also vegan / vegetarian

Here's the nub of the issue explained ...

Quote:
That point is: there is a greater possibility for pro-vegan bias in these papers than most vegans who cite them seem to realize. When vegans refer to the conservative American Dietetic Association endorsing veganism, as if this were an unexpected development that could only have come about if the nutritional case for veganism were airtight, they probably don’t know that ethical and religious vegans and vegetarians were the ones authoring these papers, and were often the ones reviewing these papers as well, and that reviewers only have limited influence anyway because they are not required to endorse the papers or the position statements.

Well, some vegans do know this and still insist on referring to the conservative American Dietetic Association's endorsement of veganism: the paper authors themselves! After writing these papers, some of the vegetarian position paper authors reference them elsewhere as if these papers are coming from an authority outside of themselves.
See:
http://letthemeatmeat.com/post/26647...rican-dietetic

Interestingly the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly American Dietetic Association) is a private nutritional lobby group in the US which was co founded by Lena Cooper who was an active Seventh Day Adventist* - a group credited with the promotion of a plant based diets as part of their belief system.
The referenced paper is frequently used by vegan advocates to justify and promote vega*n diets

Last edited by gozunda; 28-05-2019 at 23:59.
04-06-2019, 18:23   #20

I moved to a plant based diet last year for health reasons. It has been one of the best decisions I've made in my life but it's very much a personal choice I made. I generally don't talk about the diet and I'm not trying to convert anyone else.

One thing that amazed me was how quickly members of my family voiced their strong opposition to me raising my teenager on a plant based diet. They stopped short of telling me that they would ring Tusla As it turns out, my teenager genuinely likes vegetarian food so she chooses to be vegetarian five out of seven days. Her grandparents insist on giving her fillet steak when she visits them, incase she dies of malnutrition.

As for vegans wanting everyone to know they're vegans ..... Well this is not me, I never want to create a fuss or draw attention to myself but ...... I recently attended a dinner party at a friend's house, I offered to bring some of my own food as I didn't want him having to cook something especially for me. He wouldn't hear of it.......his plant based option was toasted brown bread and a few lettuce leaves Eating out is definitely the hardest part of following a vegan/plant based diet.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion