Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RETRO Video Game System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's something I really like about this idea...however DAT NAME. Argh. Older consoles in general had really great, imaginative names. 'Retro VGS'? Seriously, how generic can you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's something I really like about this idea...however DAT NAME. Argh. Older consoles in general had really great, imaginative names. 'Retro VGS'? Seriously, how generic can you get.

What would you call it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, is this going to be an indie console, all those 8/16 bit titles released on the various digital marketplaces to turn up on it?
    I suppose there'd be a certain attraction to have a physical cart of Shovel Knight.

Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    What would you call it?

Super Mega Dream Engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maga Drive?

Super Ninetendo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Had a read of their FAQ, it's an interesting concept. But they're going to need a bunch of very good titles for it and some decent developrs onboard. Will be interesting to see how they price it when the kickstarter begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maga Drive?

Super Ninetendo!

The Pretendo Entertainment System.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    The Pretendo Entertainment System.

make sure you've got a quality tv to play it on

6D4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So what's everyone's opinion on this now?

http://www.retrovgs.com/home.html

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/

They don't even have a prototype yet. Hmm.......

EDIT: I like the idea of course, but, with indigogo, you are charged as soon as you pledge your money, unlike kickstarter. And most of these games will be on psn Xbox pc and eshop won't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its all gone too poo. The guy developing the FPGA cores has left the project so they've just got the ARM processor left now, basically an offline Ouya. Can't see it going much further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ya between the price point, the Indiegogo change and the change of staff it's all gone downhill. Pity really, it had potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Corholio wrote: »
    Ya between the price point, the Indiegogo change and the change of staff it's all gone downhill. Pity really, it had potential.

It was never going uphill to start with, there was never going to be a market for it in the first place.

Wouldn't most of these kinda games run on one of those little cloud based laptops loaded with Chrome or Windows?
    Just plug a decent controller into the USB and off you go, and you can plumb it into any display you like.
    Was it ever going to get people to buy a cart loaded with a game rom you could "buy" legit for $10, but pay a premium?

It was never going uphill to start with, there was never going to be a market for it in the first place.

In fairness I think they started to gain traction with the idea and an early 'promise' of a very reasonable price along with games from experienced developers, and the guy who started it has a very good reputation in the retro game scene. Done right I think it would have had a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Kevtris (one of the engineers originally involved with the project, he has a bad relationship with them now as far as I know) is working on his own system, which sounds magnitudes more interesting, and appears to be a lot more realistic in scope.

He's taking a leaf out of the MIST's book and developing a barebones board specifically for the hardware emulation of older consoles. I think he's aiming for around $150-200.

I'd definitely be on board if he can get it off the ground. He's the guy responsible for the NES HDMI mod that's also being used in the Analogue NT by the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wtf they had a target of 2 million! Asking folks to stump 300 quid for that yoke was ridiculous anyway.

It's a pity they made so many missteps along the way and completely misread the situation financially because the people involved had the best intentions definitely. Not having a working prototype was probably their biggest mistake, people nowadays are sceptic naturally and not seeing it was never going to garner anywhere near enough interest. Getting the Jaguar moulding was a big plus for them in money terms, but it was never going to work with such a high price point. Hopefully they have learned lessons from it and return in better shape, I think it'll stand to them that they nipped it in the bud at an early stage and were pretty transparent.

Master of the Universe

I wonder what they're going to do with the Jaguar moulding now?

My money is on a colonic irrigation machine. Keep the medical theme going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Apparently they made quite a bit of money already from those molds selling various coloured Jag cases.

• Advertisement

I couldn't see much of a market for preowned machines though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I thought some of the money from the kickstarter/indiegogo was to buy the molds?
    So no money no molds, no?

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I thought some of the money from the kickstarter/indiegogo was to buy the molds?
    So no money no molds, no?

They already had the molds, they were already producing and selling replacement Jaguar casings.

I wonder what they're going to do with the Jaguar moulding now?

I vote for an ECT machine, running at the full 220v!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

They already had the molds, they were already producing and selling replacement Jaguar casings.

I see, I must have missed all that. All I ever seen them share was computer renders of the casings.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I see, I must have missed all that. All I ever seen them share was computer renders of the casings.

The system that Kevtris is working on now sounds way more promising. He was designing the original RETRO VGS PCB, but fell out with the team at some point, I believe when they decided to add the ARM CPU to the design.

He's pretty much going to be making a straight up FPGA-based emulation board, similar to the MIST. I personally can't wait to see that technology gain some traction, a future FPGA-based Retron could be amazing.

Advertisement