Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade and Retro – 3D Prints

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Setting up a stall in Moore Street outside Cineworld for the Xmas ? :D

FYP, could be more lucrative, cash in on the fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Currently have a very nice model of the Millennium Falcon printing at home(in my new favourite test colour, Traffic Light Red).

I do find it funny how some people on Thingiverse are trying to get around automatic copyright take downs with how they name their models.
    This one is the “Fillennium Malcon”, and the Imperial Shuttle is “Mars Bars Scuttle” :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Do they have any models of the EWE ESS ESS Genterprise up there? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Full size Firefly perhaps ?

I have a very nice model of that. But, it's so complex it would be a nightmare to print without a load of supports attached. And with the shape of the ship you really want it to come out as clean as possible.

Now, I'll have another 3D printer pretty soon, a resin based SLA one(Formlabs Form 2). This should allow a better print for models with small and/or complex areas, but the build area is tiny compared to my Ultimaker 2 Extended(145×145×175mm vs 230x225x305mm).
    So the detail from the resin printer would be fantastic, but the size will never impress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Steve X2 wrote: »

I have a very nice model of that. But, it's so complex it would be a nightmare to print without a load of supports attached. And with the shape of the ship you really want it to come out as clean as possible.

Now, I'll have another 3D printer pretty soon, a resin based SLA one(Formlabs Form 2). This should allow a better print for models with small and/or complex areas, but the build area is tiny compared to my Ultimaker 2 Extended(145×145×175mm vs 230x225x305mm).
    So the detail from the resin printer would be fantastic, but the size will never impress.
    I was always told that size doesn't matter...

:-/

MrVestek wrote: »
    I was always told that size doesn't matter...

:-/

It was very nice of her to say that to you :D

My “Fillennium Malcon” is complete :) Bit of post processing required, but not a lot.
    Now, to print max size or not??

CJbCnm9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

That is brilliant!

I wouldn't be able to hold off maxing that out ... go BIG or go HOME :)

Star Wars month is in full swing :)
    I'm just waiting on some new tasty Colorfabb ngen printing material before I go for the full size Falcon in white.

MaORjQr.jpg

• Advertisement

3D printing is a slow process, sometimes you setup your print, walk away and come back 10 hours later to this:

F6QxE7i.jpg

But never give up, its just a tweak away from getting it right :)

vWzJKrp.jpg

By the way folks, I'm looking to give away a load of these 3D prints. Get on to your local mods to give me the go ahead :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

3D printing is a slow process, sometimes you setup your print, walk away and come back 10 hours later to this:

F6QxE7i.jpg

That's the funniest thing I've seen all week.

It's like the Ultimaker just said "era f*ck it, I'll scribble in the rest!"

How the hell did that happen though?

Was the nozzle moving the print around the place or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

F6QxE7i.jpg

aabf15_grill.jpg

:)

By the way folks, I'm looking to give away a load of these 3D prints. Get on to your local mods to give me the go ahead :):):):)

Freebie thread in the marketplace with conditions? (so no 1 person grabs all the cool ones!)

Doge wrote: »
    That's the funniest thing I've seen all week.

It's like the Ultimaker just said "era f*ck it, I'll scribble in the rest!"

How the hell did that happen though?

Was the nozzle moving the print around the place or something?

I think the nozzle clipped a leg and that started a domino effect that knocked the whole print off.
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Freebie thread in the marketplace with conditions? (so no 1 person grabs all the cool ones!)

I was thinking some online raffle or something. Will see how it goes with the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is this thread just for Retro stuff Steve? Do you have other projects going elsewhere? Im damn tempted to get into this now but just like VR Im always telling myself to give it another year and another year.

Thargor wrote: »
    Is this thread just for Retro stuff Steve? Do you have other projects going elsewhere? Im damn tempted to get into this now but just like VR Im always telling myself to give it another year and another year.

I'm trying to keep it retro related, but failing a lot of the time :)
    What other types of projects do you mean? 3D printing?

I'm certainly printing a lot more than what is shown on this thread, and giving a lot of the stuff away as there are only so many models of owls and batman a person can have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh sorry I meant do you have a thread anywhere else discussing maintenance/costs/abilities of the device etc?

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh sorry I meant do you have a thread anywhere else discussing maintenance/costs/abilities of the device etc?
    Ah I see. No I dont have a thread anywhere else.

I've been meaning to stick up a thread/info dump over on my retrovia.ie site. But haven't got around to it just yet.

Time for a break from Star Wars, the GF has insisted I print Xmas stuff for a while :0/
    But I snuck in a Pink Vader before that :)

7fGriaw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Time for a break from Star Wars, the GF has insisted I print Xmas stuff for a while :0/
    But I snuck in a Pink Vader before that :)

Genuinely couldn't stop laughing at that.

tumblr_n2rffvXCyv1tv4k5po1_400.gif

Another break from xmas prints. Doing a large yoda head and am about 20 hours into a 34 hour print. I can't wait until they really sort out the speed with 3D printing :0/

Ros36yT.jpg

Also, as no mods(well, no forum or cat mods that cover this section) replied to me on the whole Star Wars 3D print free raffle thingy, I assumed it was a no go and have distributed most of the stuff to friends and work peeps.

Sorry guys, i tried to sort something for here to give a little back to our retro community :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Another break from xmas prints. Doing a large yoda head and am about 20 hours into a 34 hour print. I can't wait until they really sort out the speed with 3D printing :0/

Ros36yT.jpg

Also, as no mods(well, no forum or cat mods that cover this section) replied to me on the whole Star Wars 3D print free raffle thingy, I assumed it was a no go and have distributed most of the stuff to friends and work peeps.

Sorry guys, i tried to sort something for here to give a little back to our retro community :(

I'm sorry, I thought I sent a message to you via PM, apologies if it was borked.
    I'll try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You prob could have throw a thread up on Retrovia, & linked back to it here...never even thought of suggesting that

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I thought I sent a message to you via PM, apologies if it was borked.
    I'll try again.

No probs.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    You prob could have throw a thread up on Retrovia, & linked back to it here...never even thought of suggesting that

Yeah could have done that. But i wanted to keep it "onsite" here as I didn't want to really be getting anything out of it.

Anyway, its not exactly the end of the world :)

That looks pretty cool. Would take a while to print it full size at high res though.

A little something I'm working on, a Raspberry Pi Zero inside a NES controller.
    I robbed someone else's model and will need to modify it a good bit to fit my needs. But the basic plan is to get a tiny battery in there and also solder the NES buttons to the GPIO headers on the Pi.

8Dz0WFF.jpg
    NBQwSOT.jpg
    31qEr8o.jpg

What's the plan with that one? A NES emulator in a controller? Or using it to control something else?

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    What's the plan with that one? A NES emulator in a controller? Or using it to control something else?

I've got RetroPie running on it now. So NES emulator and the rest.
    The software side is the easy bit on this, just need to modify the "borrowed" 3D model to hold the PI better and also allow the old controller cable to be used.

Advertisement