Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Purchasing a new build...now what?? Best deals??

Options
  • 24-11-2019 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

In the process of buying a new build(hold on it and with solicitors etc) and spending all my time online. We're going to move in when it's a shell and do it in stages so we won't be paying rent and a mortgage. Going pricing kitchens soon but wondering have people ordered much appliances/sinks etc online? Anyone use wish or is that way too risky for like a large kitchen sink?
    Also plan is buy washing machine, American style fridge freezer, oven and bed in black friday sale and see from there. All tips welcome as we live about 2 hours from family and not 'in the building game'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would avoid wish anyway. Ideally get stuff that will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm hoping to move to our new build in around two weeks. The kitchen units etc are part of the build but we are getting appliances. We've done a lot of research on the items we wanted and have put together a kit list. Around six weeks ago I sent the list out to a number of retailers and etailers. A number replied and a couple didn't bother which surprised me. The prices I got going this route were substantially better than accepting the online prices. The fridge we are looking at is currently €1599 in Harvey Norman for their black Friday sale and we got a price of €1229, similar discount on the oven we are looking at as well.

I'd suggest getting a handle on exactly what you want including getting it down to models numbers etc. Don't take it for granted that you are getting good deals for Black Friday. The only good deals I have seen have been for shop display models. If you can buy all the appliances together shop around and tell the stores or etailers that its a one drop deal and you will get a decent discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

If your in the market for a television I recommend going to the local shop for a look then take note of the the model number
    Then log on to LaptopsDirect.ie and search for the part number
    Delivered in 3-4 days via dpd
    I've saved €375 by purchasing three Samsung televisions from LaptopsDirect instead of from currys which was the cheapest alternative supplier
    Also saved €178 on a Dell P2415Q monitor and Dell sound bar compared to purchase directly from dell
    Woodies do good offers on pain and rollers
    I recommend purchasing an orbital sander and some Ronseal ready mixed filler it drys like foam and is easy to sand off, smooth out the walls before painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

LenWoods wrote: »
    Then log on to LaptopsDirect.ie and search for the part number

I definitely don't recommend laptops direct.
    Ordered a 2tb hard drive.
    It was dead on arrival.
    Their customer service takes *at least* 2 working days to reply.
    So their "dedicated customer support" is probably just one person.

Took over a month and a half for their returns process and refund.
    Even then, they only initially refunded the hard drive price, not the delivery.
    Had to go to their facebook page to get them to reply.
    Otherwise I'd have lost €13 and 45 days of my time getting a bad drive from them.

Advertisement