Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

External Hard-drive (needs Powersupply)

Options
  • 06-05-2011 9:16am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Link here

640GB Seagate FreeAgent XTreme External Desktop Hard Drive for €48.39
    Connections: USB2.0, eSATA, Firewire 400
    7200 RPM Seagate SATA2

Under 50 quid- and from an Irish company (MemoryC are based in Celbridge)
    You can collect from them- and avoid delivery charges (I live local, so its what I normally do). Manufacturers warranty on this is 5 years too- a bonus.

Its the 7200 RPM / 64Mb desktop drive thats in it- so read/write and fetch on it are really good. From my perspective- the big selling point is the USB2/eSATA/Firewire connection options (I'm a big fan of eSATA)

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 niall_f

Wow it's really cheap hdd and i like that it has eSata and FireWire because Usb 2.0 is a little to slow for 640GB disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭daveheno

free postage too if you choose the 2-4 day delivery.
    says ppower supply included with the accessories.
    great deal!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

daveheno wrote: »
    free postage too if you choose the 2-4 day delivery.
    says ppower supply included with the accessories.
    great deal!!!

Yes- what I meant is you have to plug it in- aka its not host powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Any way to make this work with a mac? Sys requirements are all Windows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Any way to make this work with a mac? Sys requirements are all Windows.

Works fine on a Mac- however all the bundled software (for doing backups etc) is Windows only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

For another €40 you can get a 2tb external.

Not bad value if you dont need the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

These drives have a terrible thermal design, seagate forgot that heat rises.

I have had to send several to belfast for datarecovery for clients.

Probably fine if you're just looking for a place to dump your files but if you're doing anything intensive like streaming video or editing video or even if you plan to leave it plugged in 24/7 I'd look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Thank you! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I know it's a couple of squid more but at €65 in Aldi...
    # 640 GB Hard disk Drive capacity
    # 8MB Cache
    # No power AC adaptor needed
    # Power source via USB
    # USB 3.0 connection (transfer rate up to 5 GBit/sec)

Product_detail_Wk19Sa.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

slave1 wrote: »
    # 8MB Cache
    # Power source via USB

I'm having no end of trouble with USB 3.0, and don't think the drivers are right yet. I've two external drives and can only get each to work on one machine (A desktop and a Notebook) and not the other. It's a pain in the arse. You can plug them into USB 2.0 but that defeats the object if you're looking for high-speed data transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

For another €40 you can get a 2tb external.
    I bought one of these a couple of months ago and am well impressed with the speeds. It's been left on pretty much 24/7 and no signs of overheating or any other problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

peckerhead wrote: »
    I bought one of these a couple of months ago and am well impressed with the speeds. It's been left on pretty much 24/7 and no signs of overheating or any other problems.

Thanks but looking for a 2tb internal. Wife would notice the external so thsts a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

slave1 wrote: »
    # 8MB Cache
    # Power source via USB

I bought one of these - well pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Thanks but looking for a 2tb internal. Wife would notice the external so thsts a no no

ye i got one of them off him too nice guy and ye i use nine 24-7 no overheating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

i want an external hard drive to have a back-up of photo's, would only back up stuff every few months and would only have less than 500 photo's in total. would the above suit, had a budget of around 50euro anyways.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

grow a pair man

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

kindalen wrote: »
    i want an external hard drive to have a back-up of photo's, would only back up stuff every few months and would only have less than 500 photo's in total. would the above suit, had a budget of around 50euro anyways.
    thanks.

yep, that'd be grand. you could go cheaper if you wanted to save some money, but to be honest, that's a great deal, and it'll do you for a good while.

Advertisement