Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2019, 16:28   #46
victor8600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Disposition View Post
... hardly surprising a country this small with a strong economy has problems.
It’s not just housing, visit the regional hospital or maternity in Limerick and see how stretched services are. Or the schools in most provincial towns.....
Immigrants pay more tax proportionally to the general population, so less immigrants = less money in the budget to spend on all these nice things you want. These problems are due to the budget allocation decisions in the last 15 years by successive right-wing governments.

Instead of putting money into health, schools and social housing, we are paying for bailing out banks, wasting money to make water services private and waiting for the private sector to build houses for everyone.
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 16:28   #47
belfe

I can't tell if this is still the case, but last poll that I checked, there were more Irish abroad than foreigners here. It would be unfair blaming the immigration and forgetting about emigration, so I'd say that the migration numbers are overall positive in terms of it's effect for the housing crisis
15-05-2019, 16:30   #48
Cryptopagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiLaRue View Post
We obviously do have a need for them...

Hiring someone from outside the EU is a pain in the hole for employers, far simpler to hire an Irish person. But if you can't find an Irish person who's willing to clean toilets for minimum wage, you'll find an immigrant who will.
Brazilians in Ireland normally come as language students, and have permission to work part-time. Plenty also have EU citizenship, through Portuguese or Italian ancestry.
15-05-2019, 16:32   #49
Cryptopagan

The housing crisis is caused by lack of construction. If we are ever going to get serious about fixing that, one thing we will need is for immigrant labour to come here and help build homes.
15-05-2019, 16:33   #50
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejee View Post
Oh Im sorry, I'm simply re-stating what was presented in that primetime episode that I linked in the first post for all to see. Many apologies for not contacting RTE and conducting an independent investigation of my own.

Perhaps you should thank primetime instead. Or show whats wrong in the report? More information is always better.
It's not Dorset Street though, it's just a small part of it, Hardwick Lane maybe?
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 16:37   #51
beejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank123 View Post
I'm not sure immigration is the problem so much as a disastrously unbalanced country where people are piling into cities from rural areas. And also cities are disastrously planned, particularly Dublin where you still have people living in one or two story houses within a mile or two of O'Connell Street. And nimbyism is still rampant when it comes to high density.

In fact, the very same presenters and broadcasters who are outraged about homelessness are often the first to object when someone proposes a new high density development in their neighbourhood.
The centralisation of the country is a big problem, absolutely. Even those students I mentioned in the first thread are not from Dublin, but then the best universities are in Dublin (generally). Same for jobs in general.

So that's already a problem for irish people.

What we don't need is the additional problem of people from other countries doing the same thing too. Its obviously to their benefit because otherwise they wouldn't be here, but I fail to see how it isn't the exacerbating factor in terms of housing for Irish people (and all people, if it comes to that)
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 16:38   #52
beejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptopagan View Post
The housing crisis is caused by lack of construction. If we are ever going to get serious about fixing that, one thing we will need is for immigrant labour to come here and help build homes.
And those immigrant labourers will live in the clouds while building stuff and absolutely wont end up staying here in all cases and taking up the very things they build.

That kind of thinking reeks of pyramid scheme.
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 16:40   #53
beejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
It's not Dorset Street though, it's just a small part of it, Hardwick Lane maybe?
You confidently asserted that the numbers are wrong.

You tell me. Or get onto primetime and ask them.
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 16:41   #54
Cryptopagan

Quote:
And those immigrant labourers will live in the clouds while building stuff and absolutely wont end up staying here in all cases and taking up the very things they build.

That kind of thinking reeks of pyramid scheme.
How do we ever build any houses for anyone if the builders who build them all have to live in the houses they build?

Well I built one house and now I’m just going to live in it and not build anything else. It’s a bleedin pyramid scheme!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 16:42   #55
Fiftyfilthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
Yes, as there is dcc estate on Dorset st (red brick houses) that are predominantly Irish

Don’t think there is any residential accommodation on hardwicke lane . I think it’s just a lane to the back of the immigrant food establishments and to hardwicke street flats

Possible could still be 7% if there are 10-30 immigrants sharing a room in each of the apartments on Dorset st
15-05-2019, 16:44   #56
riffmongous

Quote:
You confidently asserted that the numbers are wrong.

You tell me. Or get onto primetime and ask them.
There you go, screengrabbed, with the 7% area in red, just a small area off Dorset Street, not Dorset Street as you said

Attached Images
File Type: png notdorsetstreet.png (687.3 KB, 507 views)
(3) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 16:45   #57
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Claptrap View Post
There's a lovely Brazillian lady in work who cleans our toilets. Her English is improving every day.

My boss is Puerto Rican.

I was just handed my lunch by the canteen chef who likes to practice Irish phrases on everybody who visits the canteen. His daughter started learning Irish in school, so he's learning it to help her with homework. He's from Cameroon.

I'd rather have these 3 people as neighbours than Deco, Jacinta and their ever growing brood of ill behaved, future criminal children.

If we're dividing up the population based on arbitrary categories like whether or not they are scumbags, or whether they were born in a different country before deciding if they should be our neighbour, then I'm all for it!

Do you play tennis OP? I think anybody who plays tennis should be evicted, made homeless and kicked out of the country.

Am I doing this right?
So would I

The issue here is the near complete shutdown of any discussion re_ immigration, why is acknowledging that immigration is a factor in terms of demand for housing so taboo

It should be a case of simply listing facts in order to best assess and address the issue, political correctness destroys openness and honesty
15-05-2019, 16:47   #58
Cordell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftyfilthy View Post
Can you back that up regarding minority of immigrants don’t work and the majority do?
Yes, but no more than this https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...sh-883643.html, my personal observation and the common sense: people come here to work, not to get benefits.

Quote:
As said a few times now, its about numbers, and there being too many.
Surprisingly maybe, but I tend to agree here with you here. There was too much in such a short period of time, but now it is what it is.
15-05-2019, 16:48   #59
weldoninhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiLaRue View Post
We obviously do have a need for them...

Hiring someone from outside the EU is a pain in the hole for employers, far simpler to hire an Irish person. But if you can't find an Irish person who's willing to clean toilets for minimum wage, you'll find an immigrant who will.
Or hire someone on a dodgy student visa and let them work as long as they want because no one ever checks up on it. And it doesn't matter if you can't find an Irish person, we've access to a jobs market in the EU.
15-05-2019, 16:49   #60
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftyfilthy View Post
Yes, as there is dcc estate on Dorset st (red brick houses) that are predominantly Irish

Don’t think there is any residential accommodation on hardwicke lane . I think it’s just a lane to the back of the immigrant food establishments and to hardwicke street flats

Possible could still be 7% if there are 10-30 immigrants sharing a room in each of the apartments on Dorset st
Yeah I don't know Hardwick Lane at all, I just saw it there on google maps, see if you can figure it out from the screengrab I posted above, but I think I've got the right place

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion