Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
19-05-2019, 18:57   #211
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwayguy35 View Post
Most of the EU people who come here are hard working and are an asset to this country, the same can't be said for so called asylum seekers from africa many of whom are scammers who just cost us money and add nothing.
The economy in most of Eastern Europe is growing rapidly so less and less feel the need to move here
Stephen15 is offline  
Advertisement
19-05-2019, 19:00   #212
Daisy78
Registered User
 
Daisy78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
So we give all these benefits to multinational tech companies such as grants and low corporation tax in order to employ Irish people only for them to go and employ forgein nationals. Israel has a booming tech sector with lots of start ups I doubt Israel would be happy if tech companies there went and employed large numbers of forgein nationals.

Unskilled immigrant labour is a race to bottom to suit employers simple as. Irish people will not accept the abysmal pay and conditions on offer in the likes of the hospitality sector so they'll employ cheap forgein labour who are willing to work for the minimum wage and every hour god sends in order to sent money home and out of our economy.
Presumably because they can’t get the skilled labour here in this country? In the case of the multinationals anyway?
Daisy78 is offline  
19-05-2019, 19:02   #213
theguzman
Registered User
 
theguzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 656
Since my prevous thread was locked by a politically biased moderator,

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/201...xford-housing/

I was watching the News this evening and there is outcry over a Private Developer choosing not to to sell houses for to be used as Social Housing. The estate seems to be quiet a nice development, imagine you might buy a house there for €210k - €265k (as it mentions in the article). You bust your gut every day for the next 20 maybe 30 years trying to repay the mortgage or maybe it was your life savings already or money inherited etc.

How disgusting would it be for you to see the house next door then let out to some socialised tenant for under €50 per week, or you might be renting privately there for €200 - €300 per week yourself.

I am firmly in favour of cutting back heavily on the social housing spend and like Margaret Thatcher implementing a mass Privatisation of the current social housing stock. Allow people the chance to own their own homes for the first time in their lives or in multi-generation cases. Force these people to take responsibility in their lives and give them something to lose for change.

I was in Dublin yesterday when a group of Housing protestors completely blocked the O'Connell Bridge, it severely disrupted my travel and I had to take a taxi instead. The taxpayer should not be responsible for housing people and there needs to be a thing called personal responsibility.
theguzman is offline  
(2) thanks from:
19-05-2019, 19:03   #214
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy78 View Post
Presumably because they can’t get the skilled labour here in this country? In the case of the multinationals anyway?
So why are we bending over backward to them then if they can't employ Irish people?
Stephen15 is offline  
Thanks from:
19-05-2019, 19:07   #215
theguzman
Registered User
 
theguzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
So why are we bending over backward to them then if they can't employ Irish people?
The pay alot of money into the Irish exchequer as we are a Corporate Tax Haven, e.g. you are a German consumer who buys an iPhone in Germany, Apple routes the profits of this sale through their Irish subsidiary where they pay a few cents tax on the dollar.
theguzman is offline  
Advertisement
19-05-2019, 19:08   #216
Shai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
So we give all these benefits to multinational tech companies such as grants and low corporation tax in order to employ Irish people only for them to go and employ forgein nationals.
What a load of bollocks.

Tech companies are employing literally anyone who can pass their interview process. They're hiring non-Irish people because there aren't enough Irish people who meet their qualifications. And even with that, there's still a massive shortage of qualified engineers.

If you think the tech sector is refusing to hire skilled Irish people in favor of "cheap" foreign labour, then you should really become a tech recruiter and make bank introducing these people to these tech companies.
Shai is offline  
(5) thanks from:
19-05-2019, 19:08   #217
Daisy78
Registered User
 
Daisy78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
So why are we bending over backward to them then if they can't employ Irish people?
What? So ask them to leave the country even though they may have already employed a substantial number of Irish people?!! How in gods name does that make sense. If there is a lack of suitably skilled individuals in the country what are they to do. If multinationals pulled out of Ireland in the morning we would be in dire straits, you might have cheaper housing alright but a whole new set of problems to go with that!
Daisy78 is offline  
Thanks from:
19-05-2019, 19:08   #218
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguzman View Post
The pay alot of money into the Irish exchequer as we are a Corporate Tax Haven, e.g. you are a German consumer who buys an iPhone in Germany, Apple routes the profits of this sale through their Irish subsidiary where they pay a few cents tax on the dollar.
So the Irish people dont see the benefit only the government
Stephen15 is offline  
19-05-2019, 19:12   #219
Shai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
So the Irish people dont see the benefit only the government
So, if taxes + creating well-paying jobs - with the employees paying tax on their income of course - does not equal a benefit to the people, then what exactly does? If you wanna argue corporate taxes could be higher, cool, but claiming corporate taxes don't benefit the people seems like a weird statement to make.

Last edited by Shai; 19-05-2019 at 19:17.
Shai is offline  
Advertisement
19-05-2019, 19:12   #220
theguzman
Registered User
 
theguzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
So the Irish people dont see the benefit only the government
In theory you would say they see the benefit of the taxes collected in reality thats debatable since there is effectively nothing back out of your taxes, and we won't even bother to suggest the HSE or Policing and Justice as everyone knows they don't exist in any meaningful way in Ireland. If you are on the dole for life and live in socialised housing then yes you are benefiting from the low corporate rate, but then you could argue they took your jobs, which those people never had any interest in to begin with.
theguzman is offline  
Thanks from:
19-05-2019, 19:36   #221
AlekSmart
Registered User
 
AlekSmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguzman View Post
Since my prevous thread was locked by a politically biased moderator,

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/201...xford-housing/

I was watching the News this evening and there is outcry over a Private Developer choosing not to to sell houses for to be used as Social Housing. The estate seems to be quiet a nice development, imagine you might buy a house there for €210k - €265k (as it mentions in the article). You bust your gut every day for the next 20 maybe 30 years trying to repay the mortgage or maybe it was your life savings already or money inherited etc.

How disgusting would it be for you to see the house next door then let out to some socialised tenant for under €50 per week, or you might be renting privately there for €200 - €300 per week yourself.

I am firmly in favour of cutting back heavily on the social housing spend and like Margaret Thatcher implementing a mass Privatisation of the current social housing stock. Allow people the chance to own their own homes for the first time in their lives or in multi-generation cases. Force these people to take responsibility in their lives and give them something to lose for change.

I was in Dublin yesterday when a group of Housing protestors completely blocked the O'Connell Bridge, it severely disrupted my travel and I had to take a taxi instead. The taxpayer should not be responsible for housing people and there needs to be a thing called personal responsibility.
Wow !....I just saw the post you mention,noting your small concession to that peculiar criticism....well done you
AlekSmart is offline  
19-05-2019, 19:56   #222
beejee
Registered User
 
beejee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
What a load of bollocks.

Tech companies are employing literally anyone who can pass their interview process. They're hiring non-Irish people because there aren't enough Irish people who meet their qualifications. And even with that, there's still a massive shortage of qualified engineers.

If you think the tech sector is refusing to hire skilled Irish people in favor of "cheap" foreign labour, then you should really become a tech recruiter and make bank introducing these people to these tech companies.
Multinational corporations deserve every bit of criticism they receive, and that's not nearly enough.

Analogy time:

Your house is in so-so order, and you invite your excessively wealthy uncle to move in with you, the entire pretence being that he will improve your house. Fix that dodgy bathroom, say.

But an invitation isn't enough. You need to pay huge amounts (infrastructure, lost tax, rebates, incentives) of money for him to bother his hole.

So he moves into your house at last. He then starts inviting other people to live in your house so as they can do the work (you can't, that's the excuse).

So for all the minor, superficial improvements your wealthy leech is supposedly offering for housing him, all the extra people he's invited over are taking a toll on your house. It's more cramped, things breaking down from overuse etc.

But you must walk on eggshells and handle with kid gloves in case he goes over to another relatives house at the drop of a hat.

At what point would you say, as you say, "this is a load of bullocks!"?

But he does park his rolls Royce outside your house, and that certainly looks good. Might even attract a few other con men too.
beejee is offline  
19-05-2019, 20:34   #223
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguzman View Post
Since my prevous thread was locked by a politically biased moderator,

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/201...xford-housing/

I was watching the News this evening and there is outcry over a Private Developer choosing not to to sell houses for to be used as Social Housing. The estate seems to be quiet a nice development, imagine you might buy a house there for €210k - €265k (as it mentions in the article). You bust your gut every day for the next 20 maybe 30 years trying to repay the mortgage or maybe it was your life savings already or money inherited etc.

How disgusting would it be for you to see the house next door then let out to some socialised tenant for under €50 per week, or you might be renting privately there for €200 - €300 per week yourself.

I am firmly in favour of cutting back heavily on the social housing spend and like Margaret Thatcher implementing a mass Privatisation of the current social housing stock. Allow people the chance to own their own homes for the first time in their lives or in multi-generation cases. Force these people to take responsibility in their lives and give them something to lose for change.

I was in Dublin yesterday when a group of Housing protestors completely blocked the O'Connell Bridge, it severely disrupted my travel and I had to take a taxi instead. The taxpayer should not be responsible for housing people and there needs to be a thing called personal responsibility.
I am 100% behind you.
Wheeliebin30 is offline  
Thanks from:
19-05-2019, 20:38   #224
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejee View Post
Multinational corporations deserve every bit of criticism they receive, and that's not nearly enough.

Analogy time:

Your house is in so-so order, and you invite your excessively wealthy uncle to move in with you, the entire pretence being that he will improve your house. Fix that dodgy bathroom, say.

But an invitation isn't enough. You need to pay huge amounts (infrastructure, lost tax, rebates, incentives) of money for him to bother his hole.

So he moves into your house at last. He then starts inviting other people to live in your house so as they can do the work (you can't, that's the excuse).

So for all the minor, superficial improvements your wealthy leech is supposedly offering for housing him, all the extra people he's invited over are taking a toll on your house. It's more cramped, things breaking down from overuse etc.

But you must walk on eggshells and handle with kid gloves in case he goes over to another relatives house at the drop of a hat.

At what point would you say, as you say, "this is a load of bullocks!"?

But he does park his rolls Royce outside your house, and that certainly looks good. Might even attract a few other con men too.
Have you another solution to how we would bridge the 10 BILLION the big corporations pay in tax each year if they leave?


Go on Einstein, stick it to the man.
Wheeliebin30 is offline  
19-05-2019, 20:40   #225
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
So the Irish people dont see the benefit only the government
My god.

I worry for the future.
Wheeliebin30 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet