Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Housing Minister issues wind warning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Olsky wrote: »
    Well. This will get me crucified but.. The irish have a weather obsession that is abnormal and unusual.. It seems to be the main topic of conversation here. No other race has anywhere near the weather preoccupation of the Irish.
    And most other races would also think that a bit of wind would be worthy of a "weather warning" to be ridiculous and laughable

And so what if the 'Irish' have certain cultural idiosyncrasies? Why do we need others to point this out to us? Tbh I see a lot of this on Boards where we have somebody tell us locals / natives what and how to think. Even what we should be freekin eating and believing :rolleyes:

It's patronising and bordering on racism imo. If the country is really that seriously annoying / bad - how do you stand it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Fair play to the minister hopefully someone will think of some method to inform the populace of impending bad weather . Maybe a bulletin after the news on RTE .....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I thought RTE closed down years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The point of these alerts is the creation of fear and anxiety in the population.
    So yes . Be afraid. The wind might kill you.

No. You keep repeating this inane crap.

By the way other countries like the US have multiple dedicated weather channels - 24 hours of weather reporting, most of it panicky. Tropical storm Florence being the latest example of ten day 24 hour coverage.

Ireland has a met.ie app and a 5 minute weather forecast after the 9 O’clock news. Oh, and a minister tweeted.

In fact I know there’s a weather warning because this thread mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

lawred2 wrote: »
    What?

This is an actual storm which people need to be warned about.

This isn't "just a bit of wind."

Is it really? Has your reality perhaps been shaped by the weather warning and the weather hysteria you purport to not be affected by.

No idea where in Ireland you are but try a little experiment.
    Open you front door and step outside for a few minutes.
    Is it really an actual dangerous storm as you have been informed and as you have come to believe.

Or is it maybe just a bit of wind?

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Fair play to the minister hopefully someone will think of some method to inform the populace of impending bad weather . Maybe a bulletin after the news on RTE .....

Oh fcuk no that would panic the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

What a fart monger. He’s like the uncle that sits on your face and lets rip

Is it really? Has your reality perhaps been shaped by the weather warning and the weather hysteria you purport to not be affected by.

Is it really an actual dangerous storm as you have been informed and as you have come to believe.

Hasn’t arrived yet, genius.

I'm going for a swim in the sea now. But for the love of God please please do not follow that advice tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Whats wrong with him tweeting this?
    He's a politician, simple as that.
    Whenever I hear a weather warning I am reminded of the use of fear as a means of controlling and distracting populaces in 1984
    A lot of people compare Orwell's 1984 to very non 1984 type stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He must be going to make a speech...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Proof/source please?

9,891 Homeless according to the government and worst housing minister we've had for some time.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/homelessness/minister-murphys-statement-july-homeless-figures

Watch out for the wind folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

He must be going to make a speech...

Who - the minister or the OP? ;)

dav3 wrote: »
    9,891 Homeless according to the government and worst housing minister we've had for some time.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/homelessness/minister-murphys-statement-july-homeless-figures

200,000 empty houses out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2153182491599325&id=100007227857780&_rdr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The number you have quoted have a roof over their heads, they’re not homeless, no more than renters are homeless.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Eoghan Murphy should insread issue a hot air warning...

...all the guff that comes out of his gob and sweet FA all action.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

JupiterKid wrote: »

Genius.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

JupiterKid wrote: »

He should do an apprenticeship in block laying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The number you have quoted have a roof over their heads, they’re not homeless, no more than renters are homeless.

The numbers I quoted are from the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government. Signed off by the Minister for Housing. Data referred to as 'Homelessness Data' by the government.

Did you read the link? It has big Minister Murphy’s statement on July homeless figures at the top of the page.

Perhaps you should take it up with him?

It's certainly getting a lot windier in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Jimmy. wrote:
    He should do an apprenticeship in block laying.

Would be constructive at least....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A roof over your head is not necessarily a 'home'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

amcalester wrote: »
    Obviously he shouldn’t be doing anything else but building homes by hand until all the “can’t pay, won’t pay” brigade have their fur’eva home.

Comments like this really worry me. It's as if people that are OK are undermining a very very real housing crisis. A lot of anger seems to be focused away from our highly incompetent governments past and present.

Divide and conquer alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Reported. Try thinking for yourself once or twice instead of following the crowd.

Why? You called the actions of the minister of the department responsible for Met Eireann "juvenile at best" for providing an update from Met Eireann. Very odd.

Even if he wasn't the minister, describing the posting of a Met Eireann update onto a personal account on twitter as juvenile is both odd and juvenile at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A roof over your head is not necessarily a 'home'.

In that case should renters be allowed to call themselves homeless if they choose? If you don’t have a garden to your liking and your gaff doesn’t feel like a ‘home’ should you be able to change the definition of homeless to suit yourself?

Homeless seems to have been redefined over the last few years. For me, homeless is when you don’t have a roof over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm certainly not one from shying away from giving Eoghan or any of his pals some criticism, but I can't find any to throw at him here.

Minister/TD issues wind warning when when we have a dose of windy weather (or more aptly - a storm)?

What's to be outraged by here:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

There are very few people in this country without a roof over their head. Actual homeless numbers are being inflated by the ‘Foreva Home’ crew.

You're full of poop Fr.Doodoohead.

"Der r 5 milleon poeple in Irelend but der r 8 milleon homless poeple on da streets.

De guvrnmint has 10 milleon housez boarded up but dey wont give dem to da poeple becoz de gubbermint need them for demselves.

All i want is a foweva home fur my crotch gremlins. I dont want ta wurk for da money, 50 grand is enuf fur me. I mit hav two mor kids to get me up ta 60 grand if a few years.

Im a traveller dat refuses to travel. I cant be gettin da Luas.

The gubbermint neess to get dese homeless poeple jobs so dey can fund my lifestyle".

I love Ireland and it's people but theres something wrong when career welfare recipients "earn" more money than a person working full time hours.

I have no problem with people who genuinely cant work for whatever reason...its just the lazy and entitled that get up my goat.

Its worse when these fcukers give out about not being looked after enough by the State.

How's about doing something productive with yourselves....and not in the form of a "protest" to get more from the country than what you have put in.

It seems these protests are the only thing they are willing to do....as long as its not a job, they will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Comments like this really worry me. It's as if people that are OK are undermining a very very real housing crisis. A lot of anger seems to be focused away from our highly incompetent governments past and present.

Divide and conquer alive and well.

Who is undermining the housing crisis. This thread is having a pop at the minister for tweeting a weather alert warning.
    The perpetually offended are a laughing stock really.

There is no doubt he is over his head, however he is entitled to make a tweet about a weather warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

The point of these alerts is the creation of fear and anxiety in the population.
    So yes . Be afraid. The wind might kill you.

The following should wipe the cretinous smirk off your smug face - although it probably won't. :mad:

Woman Dies After Caravan Blown Off Cliff in Galway

Advertisement