Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Quick question let's say for arguments sake that women are allowed to leave the workplace for several years to raise a family. During tbis to e they still receive pay increments as if they were working. They cone back to the same salary as I have when I continued to work.

We are both women but I have more experience and yet get paid the same. Surely that's pay inequality right there ????

Yes, but the people arguing that there is a gender pay gap aren't arguing your point. Their argument is that women are paid less than men. This is simply untrue.

It's nonsense though. I earn more than several men in my job. I've done it for longer so I should.

Why don't feminists get that ????

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Brenda O'Brien doesn't have a regular column in the Irish Times.
    If you going to be pedantic at least spell her name right.
    The Iona Institute and people closely affiliated with it, write columns which generate lengthy threads on this site.

https://www.irishtimes.com/profile/breda-o-brien-7.2276464
    Breda O'Brien is a weekly columnist with The Irish Times, and is also a second-level teacher. She is a frequent contributor to media debates on social, religious, ethical and education issues. She is married and has four children. In the past, she has worked as a columnist with the Sunday Business Post, as a researcher in RTE, and as a video producer. Breda is also a patron of the Iona Institute.

at least get your facts right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

The comments where the feminist calls her out made my day
    I have a lot of respect for women but i cant stand idiots like her male or female
    Appealing to the ignorant

People are linking to her tweets and referencing her like she's everywhere. And yet the tweets that get posted only have about 200-something likes. Or whatever. Doesn't really speak of prominence, does it?

irishman86 wrote: »

The comments where the feminist calls her out made my day
    I have a lot of respect for women but i cant stand idiots like her male or female
    Appealing to the ignorant

Read the four tweets from Caroline Marie thingy. I despair!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I've no interest in this person; in fact I've never heard of her before I clicked on this thread, but I'm against people being given a national platform to spread lies. She writes for a national newspaper and therefore has influence.

Just google "Gender pay gap debunked and you should find plenty of peer reviewed studies that show the concept to be a load of piffle.

There are also peer reviewed studies that show there is a gender pay gap too. Not saying you’re incorrect, just pointing out that the literature argues both views.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

can anyone supply any evidence that there is a gender pay gap.
    not made up rubbish but actual facts that 2 people with the same education and experience started in a company at the same time and one got paid more that the other. no you cant , if you could it would be easily brought to a court of law and ruled upon. it hasn't because it simply doesn't happen.

if you believe these stupid generalised reports then you should believe the one posted in this thread near the start that says that women working part time are paid 5.1 %higher than men. or that northern Ireland supposedly has a pay gap where women are paid 3.4% higher than men. even the article has it worded in favour of women, it is -5.1 %female pay gap. yes a minus so that they don't have to say it properly
    you don't here these stupid feminists bringing up that point

not made up rubbish but actual facts that 2 people with the same education and experience started in a company at the same time and one got paid more that the other. no you cant , if you could it would be easily brought to a court of law and ruled upon. it hasn't because it simply doesn't happen.

if you believe these stupid generalised reports then you should believe the one posted in this thread near the start that says that women working part time are paid 5.1 %higher than men. or that northern Ireland supposedly has a pay gap where women are paid 3.4% higher than men. even the article has it worded in favour of women, it is -5.1 %female pay gap. yes a minus so that they don't have to say it properly

I'm off to ask a mod for special dispensation to thank this 5,000 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Grayson wrote: »
    Yeah Breda, not Brenda as you repeatedly stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,076 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm off to ask a mod for special dispensation to thank this 5,000 times!

Say you are a woman wanting to break the gender thanks gap.

• Advertisement

Genius sir!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As I said earlier, there IS an earnings gap, there is not a pay gap. If women were being paid less than men for the exact same work under the exact same circumstances
    a. Women would be raking in the compo under discrimination legislation.
    b. Companies would be staffed exclusively by women given that they are cheaper.

The reality is that women and men on the whole make different choices in terms of careers and family. Women are more likely to work part time. Women are more likely to take career breaks to raise the kids. Women are more likely to gravitate towards careers with lower salary levels. Women more likely to take sick leave (about 40% more).

Now, if you want to talk about why being a carer and a child raiser is undervalued in our society, I am 100% with you. But don't tell me that I am paid more than my female colleagues doing the same job because this simply isn't true.

Yeah Breda, not Brenda as you repeatedly stated.

I got a name confused. The two are similar. What's your excuse for stating that she's not a regular contribute to the Irish times when the exact opposite is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,076 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I got a name confused. The two are similar. What's your excuse for stating that she's not a regular contribute to the Irish times when the exact opposite is true.

I think he was simply pointing out the person you claimed worked for the Irish Times (Brenda) does not work for the Irish Times. Brenda may not exist.

Breda (ie. Not Brenda) works for the Irish Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I enjoyed this post more than I should. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

You can only laugh when you see men rushing to her defence on social media and sites like this.

I would never use buzzwords like beta male or cuck myself but you can kind of see how they have entered the online vernacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You can only laugh when you see men rushing to her defence on social media and sites like this.

I would never use buzzwords like beta male or cuck myself but you can kind of see how they have entered the online vernacular.
    There is a large majority who unvolunterily single.

As I said earlier, there IS an earnings gap, there is not a pay gap. If women were being paid less than men for the exact same work under the exact same circumstances
    a. Women would be raking in the compo under discrimination legislation.
    b. Companies would be staffed exclusively by women given that they are cheaper.

The reality is that women and men on the whole make different choices in terms of careers and family. Women are more likely to work part time. Women are more likely to take career breaks to raise the kids. Women are more likely to gravitate towards careers with lower salary levels. Women more likely to take sick leave (about 40% more).

Now, if you want to talk about why being a carer and a child raiser is undervalued in our society, I am 100% with you. But don't tell me that I am paid more than my female colleagues doing the same job because this simply isn't true.
    I agree. That's a totally separate issue.

You just did. :rolleyes:

Yeah I typed them. Duh.

I wouldn’t call you a word like that even if it described you very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Does she pay lads on here to start threads about her or something?

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think he was simply pointing out the person you claimed worked for the Irish Times (Brenda) does not work for the Irish Times. Brenda may not exist.

Breda (ie. Not Brenda) works for the Irish Times.

I never said that she did work for the irish times either.

It's strange how in these threads I have to keep pointing out what I didn't say.

Yeah I typed them. Duh.

I wouldn’t call you a word like that even if it described you very well.

Duh? The second anyone uses the word cuck or says there's a need for it, then we know exactly what sort of person we'e talking about. ]

I'd never use the word cnut to describe them but I can see how that would would be useful at those times.

If it wasn't for AH, I wouldn't know this woman exists or be aware of her opinions.

She's basically a non-entity who has been given prominence on these pages by people who want her to be a non-entity on one hand, but who also reserve the right to complain about her not being a non-entity on the other, without seeing the irony in giving her the publicity of endless discussions of her every tweet.

If you want someone to fade from public consciousness, ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Candie wrote: »
    If it wasn't for AH, I wouldn't know this woman exists or be aware of her opinions.

She's basically a non-entity who has been given prominence on these pages by people who want her to be a non-entity on one hand, but who also reserve the right to complain about her not being a non-entity on the other, without seeing the irony in giving her the publicity of endless discussions of her every tweet.

Not sure I'd agree with her being a non-entity, but fully agree with the final line. Every time you post about her, or link to an article/tweet, you're publicising her more and more. Just don't look, just don't look.

Candie wrote: »

The problem is that her and her kind of crap are not non entities . There vile ideas are dealing into society and into our media. As a result these vile ideas are being beloved by gullible and impressionable people who believe this crap.

The problem is that her and her kind of crap are not non entities . There vile ideas are dealing into society and into our media. As a result these vile ideas are being beloved by gullible and impressionable people who believe this crap.

This kind of thing is the reason she's got an audience though.

She's in the media because she gets people talking. If nobody talked about her and she generated zero buzz, she'd be gone.

It's a vicious circle that works in her favor. She's in the media outraging people and people talk about how she's outraged them, which keeps her in the media and spotlight.

I'd never use the word cnut to describe them but I can see how that would would be useful at those times.

To quote yourself

To quote yourself

I think my use of irony was lost on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

I've never met a single person in real life, male or female, who believes a single bit of the mental crap she spouts. Ignore the silly ****er. Be grand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement