Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-02-2017, 21:19   #16
Samuel T. Cogley

I'd forgotten about Forte São José. Maybe get in contact with the King OP?

Oh sorry he's a Prince in the Principality of the Pontinha.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-02-2017, 21:23   #17
LETHAL LADY

Can this be our National Anthem please?

Thanks from:
04-02-2017, 21:30   #18
entropi
Mark It Zero!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
If I buy a house in Rahney as a Scot, for arguments sake, does that make that house in Raheny part of Scotland?
I'm fairly sure that although you would own the house and could stake a claim on it for Scotland, the land it resides on will be Irish. Unless you somehow try to form your own country there...then things could get messy and you'll be invaded soon after, losing the house in the process
Thanks from:
04-02-2017, 21:37   #19
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropi View Post
I'm fairly sure that although you would own the house and could stake a claim on it for Scotland, the land it resides on will be Irish. Unless you somehow try to form your own country there...then things could get messy and you'll be invaded soon after, losing the house in the process
04-02-2017, 21:42   #20
maudgonner

Doesn't even have to be an island, of course.

http://www.sealandgov.org/about/
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-02-2017, 21:51   #21

You could buy it and make it private property but it'd still remain as part of the Nation (whichever). The sinless CJ Haughey bought an Island off the Kerry coast but it's still the Territory of the Rep. - I hope! You could fly whatever flag you want but that means squat. Well, to normal people it means squat...to Nordies and Americans who pledge allegiance to the flag, it means something more.

I'll go Viking on you if you do buy an island.
Thanks from:
04-02-2017, 21:54   #22
Surreptitious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
Heard a great one some time ago. A yank was on one of the smaller islands off the west coast, and asked the barman what time they closed. Barman replied "How much have ya got? "
You don't have to go rural to get that response!
Thanks from:
04-02-2017, 21:55   #23
gerrybbadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
If the gaurds want to land, they'll need a jetty, or map to your house, or key to the moat etc! Sorry Gaurd, we didn't hear you knocking with all the rain.

If you buy your Island in the USA ( depending on where) you may not have the right to use solar power, fish its seas, or mine it for gold /oil as the contracts as to who has rights to do these things and access these reaources are very complicated over there. Here, in wet boggy rocky poor Irish Island, it is far less complex - thankfully. I think in the UK the Queen owns all the seans and you need a rotal permit to kill & roast one - but otherwise its simpler there too. Land grands and leasehold/freehold/ownership is a bit tricky there too .

In Sweden nobody is allowed to own or fence off the 'wild' - so failing a lottery win you could just go camping there and pretend you own it. Far more cost effective & less messy.
Hell of a lot of people to have ownership over. How about the Shawns, and Shauns?
04-02-2017, 22:36   #24
osarusan

Saltee Islands off Wexford have been owned by the Neale family for about 80 years.

One of them, Michael, has crowned himself Prince Michael of the Saltee Islands. There's even a throne on the main island.
Quote:
"This chair is erected in memory of my mother to whom I made a vow when I was ten years old that one day I would own the Saltee Islands and become the First Prince of the Saltees. Henceforth my heirs and successors can only proclaim themselves Prince of these Islands by sitting in this chair fully garbed in the robes and crown of the Islands and take the Oath of Succession" - Michael the First.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-02-2017, 22:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
Saltee Islands off Wexford have been owned by the Neale family for about 80 years.

One of them, Michael, has crowned himself Prince Michael of the Saltee Islands. There's even a throne on the main island.
A really nice sentiment.
04-02-2017, 23:35   #26
Parachutes

If you bought an island it would remain the sovereign territory of whatever country claims it, even though you own it privately. If you were to buy 100 acres in Kilkenny you couldn't just decide to give it to Ukraine, it's the same principle.

France have a few tropical islands dotted around the place that are still part of the E.U. use the Euro etc. Maybe try one of them.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion