Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paris again?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

kfallon wrote: »
    He was only shot in the legs according to the report!

Which is actually an amazing thing for the soldier to do. If someone came screaming at me with a knife I wouldn't have the wherewithal to shoot to main! Very few people would

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Well done to the soldier, who knows how many lives he has saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

kfallon wrote: »
    He was only shot in the legs according to the report!

Good discipline by the soldier. When its easier to shot to kill it takes guts and discipline to fire warning shots, containing shots or shots to injure.

Personally speaking I think a knife man deserves one between the eyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Do you still get banned for saying the attacker is Muslim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I wish they would not shoot these lads unless absolutely necessary. I have seen German police disarm lads with knives with brooms. If it was a terrorist, Have no definitive as yet that's what they want a glorious death and huge media coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I wish they would not shoot these lads unless absolutely necessary. I have seen German police disarm lads with knives with brooms. If it was a terrorist, Have not definitive as yet that's what they want a glorious death and huge media coverage.

Apparently he had a machete, I'm guessing it was deemed necessary.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'll be holding judgment on this.

No explosives found on him.

Reports he shouted Allah Ahbar. This seems to be attached to all of these reports.

Reminds me of the Brazilian tourist just going about his day in London they shot in the tube.

Will have to see what emerges.

In a way, it's immaterial whether there were explosives or not and it's completely different to the de Menezese case. Even if the bag was empty, the bolded part above implies that he was deliberately trying to cause panic. In a crowded area, that can be just as bad as an actual explosion.

Supposing for example that he didn't have explosives, shouted Allahou Akbar and ran at the soldiers with the purpose of deliberately being shot. Perhaps to prove a point or so that the military would be accused of brutality. If someone does that they are very foolish indeed and the soldier was still right to fire because hesitation could cost innocent lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I wish they would not shoot these lads unless absolutely necessary. I have seen German police disarm lads with knives with brooms. If it was a terrorist, Have no definitive as yet that's what they want a glorious death and huge media coverage.

And what if he has a concealed explosive vest, what good will your broom do then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Apparently he had a machete, I'm guessing it was deemed necessary.

And the soldier also got injured in the process, so I'd imagine it wasn't a case of seeing a lad and just letting lose on the trigger.

And what if he has a concealed explosive vest, what good will your broom do then?

They tend to walk in for maximum damage in the crowed, All about getting into the crowd for maximum damage. Randomly stabbing people tends to make people run away .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

In a way, it's immaterial whether there were explosives or not and it's completely different to the de Menezese case. Even if the bag was empty, the bolded part above implies that he was deliberately trying to cause panic. In a crowded area, that can be just as bad as an actual explosion.

Supposing for example that he didn't have explosives, shouted Allahou Akbar and ran at the soldiers with the purpose of deliberately being shot. Perhaps to prove a point or so that the military would be accused of brutality. If someone does that they are very foolish indeed and the soldier was still right to fire because hesitation could cost innocent lives.

Yah- I'll be holding judgment on that.

The lad in Quebec reportedly shouted Allah Akbar- has since been disproved.

The Brazilian lad reportedly shouted Allah Akbar - has since been disproved.

There was that unhinged chap in London that attacked the Police with a Machette but this lad had two backpacks or one by some accounts and a knife.

It doesnt sound like a terrorist attack to me. And police tend to justify police shootings after the fact. Happens all the times in the States where unarmed people are shot and the police say he was reaching for a gun etc.

I'm simply holding judement on this one. I'm sure it'll come out in a day or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I bet this fella was paid by the Trump administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'll be holding judgment on this.

No explosives found on him.

Reports he shouted Allah Ahbar. This seems to be attached to all of these reports.

Reminds me of the Brazilian tourist just going about his day in London they shot in the tube.

Will have to see what emerges.

This is the second time you have jumped into one of these threads and immediately are trying to downplay who it might be. :rolleyes:

The last time you were lucky.
    But then again I suppose it wasn't luck though because we don't find the islamists attacking mosques in the western world.
    They only do that in their own countries where they don't like the brand of islam they are practicing in a particular mosque.
    Yah- I'll be holding judgment on that.

The lad in Quebec reportedly shouted Allah Akbar- has since been disproved.

The Brazilian lad reportedly shouted Allah Akbar - has since been disproved.

There was that unhinged chap in London that attacked the Police with a Machette but this lad had two backpacks or one by some accounts and a knife.

It doesnt sound like a terrorist attack to me.

Well then you are of a different opinion to French officials and police.

Do you also remember the guys who attacked a soldier in London with a knife and hacked his head off ?
    Maybe the soldiers in Paris remembered that as well. :rolleyes:
    And police tend to justify police shootings after the fact. Happens all the times in the States where unarmed people are shot and the police say he was reaching for a gun etc.

I'm simply holding judement on this one. I'm sure it'll come out in a day or so.

Of course you are.

The guy had backpacks/bags and when refused entry produced a machete and attacked a soldier, but you go right ahead an drag up some shooting in Texas or other to downplay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

As far as I can see from the Paris police and French ministry of the interior accounts, he was carrying a machete; can't see any Allahu Akhbar reference, though. He may well have been some lonely nutter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD
    This incident has 0 ties to Trump, once any have been established then feel free to bring the President of the USA into the discussion.

For now, please leave Trump out of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

jmayo wrote: »
    This is the second time you have jumped into one of these threads and immediately are trying to downplay who it might be. :rolleyes:

But then again I suppose it wasn't luck though because we don't find the islamists attacking mosques in the western world.
    They only do that in their own countries where they don't like the brand of islam they are practicing in a particular mosque.

Do you also remember the guys who attacked a soldier in London with a knife and hacked his head off ?

Of course you are.

The guy had backpacks/bags and when refused entry produced a machete and attacked a soldier, but you go right ahead an drag up some shooting in Texas or other to downplay it.

I wasn't lucky last time. I didn't believe the media bull and extrapolated based on factual logical information.

A lot of Muslums were shot. Pointed to a white supremicist.

This time we have a report that a French Soilder shot someone who had two backpacks which did not have explosives.

I've been to the Lourve. There are a lot of students, art students with Easels, paints, brushes that travel there every day and paint and draw.

One of these could have produced a paint brush, a soilder could have panicked and shot. It happens.

Equally it could have been an attacker with a knife, but if I am going to attack the Lourve and I am a terrorist what the hell am I doing with two backpacks and a knife. Ive seen no reports of a machette yet. EDIT I see conflicting reports of one Machette, two Machettes and a further report of an attemped stabbing with a knife. If it's a machette you hack, don't stab.

It doesnt stack up for me. Maybe it's some deranged looper. There are plenty of them including a similar attack previously. I'm interested to see what comes out.

I wont even bother with the rest of your bile filled nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Chuchote wrote: »
    As far as I can see from the Paris police and French ministry of the interior accounts, he was carrying a machete; can't see any Allahu Akhbar reference, though. He may well have been some lonely nutter.

The French PM has said it looks like a terrorist attack and a few papers are mentioning the Allahu Akhbar thing. Seems pretty clear already (French authorities don't have a habit of mentioning the word terrorist unless they are pretty sure this is what it is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Of course you are.

I'm sure you'll be sticking around this time then. Doesn't look like one of your mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Better to take these guys alive where possible as they could provide useful information and no martyrdom, just a long and unbelievable boring existence completely forgotten about in France's most dull prison is more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Better to take these guys alive where possible as they could provide useful information and no martyrdom, just a long and unbelievable boring existence completely forgotten about in France's most dull prison is more appropriate.

I don't know ...

1) If he survives I am not sure at all this guy will spend the rest of his life in jail (I think probably not).
    2) Even if it was the case, if I was a French taxpayer I am not sure how I would feel about my government spending €40k per year on that guy for the rest of his life (which I think is the rough cost for an average prisoner - if confinement or high security facilities are deemed necessary it is probably a much higher figure).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Nobody trys to disarm a person with a machete, it's a foolish move, not happening in a RL situation ever

Nobody trys to disarm a person with a machete, it's a foolish move, not happening in a RL situation ever

I'm sure you'll be sticking around this time then. Doesn't look like one of your mates.

I have reported this post as it is libeling me with the inference that I am friends with and support white supremacists.

I am replying to this publicly because I want to see if Boards moderators actually sanction posters of a particular opinion rather than just always sanctioning and threatening those of the opposing viewpoint.

PS for you information I did post in the other thread and have never condoned that attack and actually in my last post there said that the death of the 6 muslims was 6 too many.
    Innocent people do not deserve to die for someone elses screwed up cause and most especially in their place of worship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I have reported this post as it is libeling me with the inference that I am friends with and support white supremacists.

I am replying to this publicly because I want to see if Boards moderators actually sanction posters of a particular opinion rather than just always sanctioning and threatening those of the opposing viewpoint.

PS for you information I did post in the other thread and have never condoned that attack and actually in my last post there said that the death of the 6 muslims was 6 too many.
    Innocent people do not deserve to die for someone elses screwed up cause and most especially in their place of worship.

Mod: Don't comment on moderation in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Who exactly is this person libeling[sic]? An anonymous cartoon character on the internet named 'jmayo'?
    Not only would jmayo have to reveal his identity, but also have to prove that the other far-right extremists, racists and white supremacists posting on other forums under the name jmayo is not actually him...or her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Yes, yes indeed , because a planned 30 man swat move is exactly the same as a split second 1 on 1 knife attack :rolleyes:
    :D

dav3 wrote: »
    Who exactly is this person libeling[sic]? An anonymous cartoon character on the internet named 'jmayo'?
    Not only would jmayo have to reveal his identity, but also have to prove that the other far-right extremists, racists and white supremacists posting on other forums under the name jmayo is not actually him...or her.

Ahh FFS.
    Are you now saying someone can call another poster anything they like ?
    The poster inferred that I was a white supremacist and thus inferring I would probably be happy with an attack by one.
    Yes they didn't use my actual given name, but my username on this web forum, but that is still linked to my posts, my posting history, etc.

How would you like if I posted inferring you were something odious that you are not ?

I am not getting into this anymore as it diverts from actual subject and the mods will only be too happy to sanction me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Lol, what a little bitch.

I'm inferring you only want to bitch about Muslims. Keep up the victim complex.

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

RobertKK wrote: »
    Well good riddance, he will be in jail.
    where he could end up being the virgin

Advertisement