Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is coffee gone so expensive?

• 02-02-2017 3:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Are coffee beans more expensive to produce or is it these fancy machines that Centra and others are using making the average price of coffee at €3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Those new centra coffee machines make the coffee taste like dike water. The price jumped from €2 to €2.50 overnight.

They can suck my left one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Probably cos eejits will pay for it at those prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Poor crop of coffee beans in the last couple of years, coupled with people buying in bulk and sitting on them.

Olive oil will shoot up in price soon. ****e crop in Italy last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Problem with harvests is it not due to rain and alike ? Cost of transport a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Coffee isn't expensive at all. I can get a bag of beans for €5. My local prices around town are €1.50 and €1.80. The service stations are fleecing people with their prices, there's no need for a coffee from an automatic machine to cost anywhere near €3. It's easy money for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Some of those coffee machines can easily be €20k +

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's just brown and water.

Problem with harvests is it not due to rain and alike ? Cost of transport a few things.

Old trees in Vietnam.
    Brazil has a good crop, but farmers holding out for a better price, instead of dumping all on the market.
    Suppliers getting short on beans, so prices increase.

There's more at work than Texaco screwing you on price. Which they likely are, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

BattleCorp wrote: »

WHAT??!!
    You'd pay a youngfla to become a high level barista and stock the place for a year for that money. Well, maybe not quite, but still. :eek:

s4uv3 wrote: »
    WHAT??!!
    You'd pay a youngfla to become a high level barista and stock the place for a year for that money. Well, maybe not quite, but still. :eek:

Those barista machines aren't cheap either. Then servicing & maintenance, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Those new centra coffee machines make the coffee taste like dike water. .

Round here we call those Lesbo Lattes...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BattleCorp wrote: »

Yep but you can rent then with a service agreement for a lot cheaper. I've always wanted to own a coffee shop. I've written up business plans and researched the options. Unless you're going to be running a chain, renting is by far the better option.

But to the OP,

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2213928-the-looming-coffee-shortage-2/
    This year will be the third consecutive year of supply shortage in the global coffee market, according to the International Coffee Organization (ICO).

Due to a poor global harvest of robusta beans, coffee prices are rising. Bad weather caused by El Niño hurt robusta bean production by the world’s top two producers, Brazil and Vietnam.

“Both countries had a very poor robusta coffee crop last year due to drought,” said Shawn Hackett, CEO of Hackett Financial Advisors, a commodity broker.

And recently, excessive rainfall in Vietnam disrupted the harvest of this year’s crop, he said.

The price for robusta coffee in the London futures market surged nearly 60 percent in the last year and reached a five-year high in January. That move helped drive the price of arabica coffee in the New York futures market up 30 percent.

WHAT??!!
    Even the manual machines are up on that price. It's a high pressure machine so it's going to need to be robust. So now you've got a bill of 20k and a wage to pay.

It's it's just a coffee shop then it makes sense to have high prices. But service stations, especially busy ones (who tend to have the highest prices for coffee) are making money hand over fist, 20k is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Those barista machines aren't cheap either. Then servicing & maintenance, etc.

Wee gas burner, and a couple of them italian stove top yokes. Job done :D

Grayson wrote: »
    Yep but you can rent then with a service agreement for a lot cheaper. I've always wanted to own a coffee shop. I've written up business plans and researched the options. Unless you're going to be running a chain, renting is by far the better option.

But to the OP,

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2213928-the-looming-coffee-shortage-2/

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/record-brazilian-coffee-harvest-creates-big-opportunity-for-traders-2016-08-30

Seems my info is out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There was me thinking my €10.58 jar was bad enough

I was talking about futures. The thing is that because of global warming, el nino etc the prices have been as volatile as fcuk. In three months time we could both be wrong again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Meh, I'll take my little nespresso machine over any coffee anywhere. 41c a cup.
    It's amazing the amount of restaurants and cafes that sell crap coffees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wee gas burner, and a couple of them italian stove top yokes. Job done :D

I wish. I can't get a good coffee out of that yoke. I know I'm doing something wrong but what I don't know. The point being it is not THAT easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If I have a fancy coffee I want it served in a proper cup & saucer,preferably with a biscuit on the side - and when I have the time to stop & enjoy it. Ihard times I'll buy an americano on the hoof but expect it to be strong & high quality - and I refuse to pay e3 for it. Overheads, servers, china & the dishes being washed merrit that extra - but not a service station or dogey market where you are expected to bring your own seat & have a coat handy.

Btw a bag of GOOD coffey or beand is still extremely good value & hasn't increased in price the way the shops prices have. I'm having more & more at home with a nice bit of cake - e6.50 as a standard for a cofffee & biscuit thing is just getting too much. I remember the days when you had a 60% chnce of getting a free refill. Now a dim historic memory.

• Advertisement

cbyrd wrote: »
    Meh, I'll take my little nespresso machine over any coffee anywhere. 41c a cup.
    It's amazing the amount of restaurants and cafes that sell crap coffees
    If you go for beans that cost can come down to about 10c a cup and it's real coffee, not from concentrate.

I wish. I can't get a good coffee out of that yoke. I know I'm doing something wrong but what I don't know. The point being it is not THAT easy.
    I found that if I turn the heat up to much it gives an almost burnt taste to the coffee. Try doing it on a lower heat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

€3.85 for large coffee in Re.Store talk about extracting the urine.

I put in hot water. It boils faster and the coffee isn't as strong but it means I can drink more. I got my first one at xmas and used it for the first time in Jan and haven't had a problem yet.

What kind of grind are you using?

love the slightly burnt taste from those little percolators.....
    I also use the plunger for daily coffee, but it tastes different.....

either way much cheaper and much better than being ripped off by petrol stations! And I agree with previous posted who says its one thing paying that in a nice ambient coffee shop, quite different in a dingy petrol station(for the pleasure of taking it away and drinking it in your car) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I think €1.50 is a fair price for a take away coffee from most service stations, anything more is a rip off. Maximum of €2 for a take away coffee from a quality café but most should be €1.80.

the large coffees are probably a bigger rip off. I doubt they have two measurements for coffee inside the machine, so all it's doing is adding more water and changing you 50c or more for that extra water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Cafe place around the corner is 2.20. Used to be €2 but went up 20c which is surprising as they could easily charge another 50c and people would pay it.

Plenty of offices around where it is and they do a pretty darn good coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

let me introduce you to the portable espresso maker. :)

It can use grinds or nespresso pods.
    https://www.thefowndry.com/products/minipresso-portable-espresso-maker

Screen5_c3568f77-1f29-4e4d-8e84-8bd587fa412d_grande.jpg?v=1476781136

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    let me introduce you to the portable espresso maker. :)
    The big problem with beans is the grinder. It's hard to find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and without the grinder you're not going to be able to make a proper espresso. I bought a cheap one in Argos but it was just a blender with a blade and it's impossible to get anything consistent out of it.

I actually found a barista machine and pulled all the grinding parts out of it I've just never got around to finding a way to assemble it as a standalone unit.

Advertisement