Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Jobstown.

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

To be fair, people are focusing on the cartoon dysfunctional family (as fully intended by the programme makers who no doubt trawled the estate to find them) at the expense of the others - The majority of the other families that are actually working. The family whose daughter has emigrated to try and get on. The fella setting up his gym. The woman trying to run a community resource by herself for local kids. The young fella trying to finance his own pilot dreams despite all the hurdles around him. Knowing the area well, the latter are far more representative of the majority of people than the latter but nobody outside the area cares.

Agreed.

Sadly a minority always brings down things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It spoke volumes that both the daughter that moved to London and the lad wanting to be a pilot both said they'd never go back to Jobstown though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Robineen wrote: »
    +1. I am seriously ill and consequently not working currently. I would love to be working and wouldn't care less that a tiny fraction of my taxes would be going towards dole moochers. Honestly would not care less. It's not healthy to stew in bitterness over something like that. Dole moocher have a sh1te life from what I can see.

I think largely the same. Get well soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

TV is chewing gum for the eyes. I have always reiterated that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

TV is chewing gum for the eyes. I have always reiterated that.

Your point being?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Agreed.

Sadly a minority always brings down things in life.

I'm sure if that was a blanket statement against any other group people would lose their minds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It spoke volumes that both the daughter that moved to London and the lad wanting to be a pilot both said they'd never go back to Jobstown though :pac:

I seen a comment recently by a Sinn Fein councillor in relation to the shootings and assaults in the Clondalkin region. He said said the young lads see drug dealers with money and nice cars, and that these guys are the only role models of "success" in the area.

The reason why it's the drug dealers and criminals that are only people able to show off their "earns" is that anybody with a brain cell got the hell out of there when they got themselves a decent job.

This is an perpetual problem with these sink estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Probably because, Most of the stuff in CC house are made of MDF or cheap Chipboard. Does not take anything more that regular wear and tear to pull the screws out. Then you have to move the hinges. General painting should be no issue. But stuff like toilets flusher mechanisms these days are pretty flimsy. Most inside doors now would have 3 spot hinging and fire doors as well no issue there. It's the likes of kitchens cabinets, Wardrobes. I have seen some of the stuff they put in these places. It's not actually designed to last more than about 2 years. They expect you to start gutting the place and putting in your own stuff.

I understand where your coming from and I know things can break on anybody but in my experience people who break fixture and fittings in houses aren't due to accidents. It's mainly due to not caring or having a poor respect to property.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I can't watch this because of the overuse of the fupping drone cam shots.
    Want to punch the TV everytime I see them... I reckon half the bloody show is drone shots of Jobstown... they probably would have tried it in the sitting rooms if they could!
    TV3 must have blown their budget on a drone cam, and then had feck all left to put into interesting content...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If you can't beat them join them OP, get down to Elvery's for a tracksuit.

As regards these types of places it's a complete misnomer to big them up as 'tough', 'rough', or 'hard' places, they're just a complete drag and boring as f**k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

To be fair, people are focusing on the cartoon dysfunctional family (as fully intended by the programme makers who no doubt trawled the estate to find them) at the expense of the others - The majority of the other families that are actually working. The family whose daughter has emigrated to try and get on. The fella setting up his gym. The woman trying to run a community resource by herself for local kids. The young fella trying to finance his own pilot dreams despite all the hurdles around him. Knowing the area well, the latter are far more representative of the majority of people than the former but nobody outside the area cares.

People are drawn to unemployed people as a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I seen a comment recently by a Sinn Fein councillor in relation to the shootings and assaults in the Clondalkin region. He said said the young lads see drug dealers with money and nice cars, and that these guys are the only role models of "success" in the area.

The reason why it's the drug dealers and criminals that are only people able to show off their "earns" is that anybody with a brain cell got the hell out of there when they got themselves a decent job.

This is an perpetual problem with these sink estates.

There is high correlation between opportunity and crime. We need to fix this first before we comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I love the show, but I'm struck at how many in it have awful teeth: rotten, missing, or all-over-de-shop. Come to think of it, I could get a part on the show based on my own set. :pac:

On a recent holiday in Brasil, I was amazed at the number of people who had braces: almost all young(-ish) people had them, from (very) lower middle class upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sadly the middle class is being slowly wrecked in this country, something isn't right at all

Advertisement