Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Jobstown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just because there's not an environment or history of third level in families doesn't mean they're running amok like some of the nuts that always get highlighted. Often it's just not a priority, culturally and historically.

I'd disagree with the assertion regarding "some of the nuts that always get highlighted".

There are many such "nuts" and the reasons for the highlighting is exactly that.....there are SO many !

You can talk Culture & History until you're puce in the face,but every now and then you'll find groups that roll it all up and chuck it right back at ya....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Has darcy got a job. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Their reminding us there's things to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

These TV shows are just a sort of badger baiting. Just using poor people instead
    TV3 are the only ones laughing and making money here

Cartouche wrote: »
    These TV shows are just a sort of badger baiting. Just using poor people instead
    TV3 are the only ones laughing and making money here
    But has darcy got a job. ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

infogiver wrote: »
    How did you get from my post that I'm crying "it's not fair!"
    Amazed is what I am, still, and I feel entitled to point it out, as do an increasing amount of people.
    They agree to appear on the Programme because they have an overwhelming sense of victimhood which they would like acknowledged by society in general.
    Then they kick up when they are presented with themselves as others actually see them and how they are in reality.

But that's what makes them ejjits in my book. Common sense 101 says that TV3 (or any other channel) would make those involved appear in a bad light.

Like if you're on the dole the last thing you want to do is appear on one of these shows because the next time you're called in for a social welfare meeting you won't be just another joe-boggs. Nah you'll be that sponge your social welfare worker may have seen on a documentary. Tha'ts not gonna help things :pac:

Just pure stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

That little girl talking about her dad was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Just watching the full episode here. There communion outfits are an absolute disgrace. Easily 2ks down the drain.

Everybody seems to have apple products too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In fairness how do yous know there paying for sky ? Most people are using the android boxs for illegal streams as i do myself which are either free or a much much smaller fee for iptv.

Also i know for a fact a lot of people buy boxs of smokes in bulk cause there not buying them from the shop there buying them from someone whos selling them on the side for cheaper.

Nothing is as it seems lads :pac: .

There is a sky dish outside of the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Bicky bicky

There is a sky dish outside of the house

Freeview??

Thought the place looks well nice drone footage nice greens not tore up by bikes or horses very little litter seems like a nice place, I was expecting the wild west over water protest videos and what I've read here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Some very positive stories in there.

Many of the people born into these areas have little or no choice.

There is no ambition - and often no even reference of ambition.

But has darcy with his girl and baby wanting a house actually got a job. Like where he does work etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

What do you mean no choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

infogiver wrote: »
    What do you mean no choice?

Well if your born into a house - your dad never work , liked to drink a bit too much.

No one had ever done the leaving - your ma has mental issues due to the dad drinking. Your brother did time - and the only people you can hang around with have little no no ambition "because you can't get a job if your from Jobstown"

Their choices and chances of getting out of that well are very very small.

A bit easy on a forum to go - lazy ****ers , fags etc.

It is a complex cycle and very difficult to break - without additional services and support - and many of these were all removed in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Freeview??

Thought the place looks well nice drone footage nice greens not tore up by bikes or horses very little litter seems like a nice place, I was expecting the wild west over water protest videos and what I've read here.

It usually is they actually removed a good few cars around the area with the steam and that usually littered with fly tipped rubbish ,
    Only seen one horse but there is around 10 horses living around the green spaces

Gatling wrote: »
    It usually is they actually removed a good few cars around the area with the steam and that usually littered with fly tipped rubbish ,
    Only seen one horse but there is around 10 horses living around the green spaces

Would jobstown be as bad as sum of dublins more notorious estates re drugs and anti social behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭C. Montgomery Gurns

I read somewhere recently that something like 45 percent of adult males in the area are unemployed.

Does anyone have any idea what area, or estate, in Ireland had the highest unemployment rate when our economy was at its peak? (summer 2008). There is a hilariously blinkered leftist on The Journal who claimed that of the 4% of the population unemployed during the boom only a tiny fraction of them were unemployed for more than 12 months. This surely must be bollocks. I know a fair few men almost continuously unemployed since the 80's recession. Add to that we have something like 18,000 heroin addicts in the country, the majority of them unemployed, and a few thousand more from certain....social groups who are evasive of work, this tiny proportion claim sounds like bollocks.

Would jobstown be as bad as sum of dublins more notorious estates re drugs and anti social behaviour?

Parts of it definitely for years it's was always known as joblesstown ,
    Everything from drugs to killings are met with we don't grass on each other here ,
    Lived in one part of the estate for a few years myself

Freeview??

Yeah and the neighbours all go on holiday together. It's an amazing place.

Yeah and the neighbours all go on holiday together. It's an amazing place.

That was a few people Hardly a measure of the 900 + houses that make up the estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That was a few people Hardly a measure of the 900 + houses that make up the estate

I do believe DonkeyKong was making a joke :p

Parts of it definitely for years it's was always known as joblesstown ,
    Everything from drugs to killings are met with we don't grass on each other here ,
    Lived in one part of the estate for a few years myself

Great work by the production crew so to show the place positively!

Theres tonnes of ambitions in theses place like jobstown!

I do believe DonkeyKong was making a joke :p
    But has darcy got a job. To support his baby and her ma.

He's an artist

He's an artist
    Good one first letter p. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

downloaded the first episode expecting to ragewatch. place and people seemed grand, there's a lot worse out there to be píssed off about. it's hardly a charmed life living in a room with your girlfriend and kid.

cool seeing McGregor roll in with his i8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Well if your born into a house - your dad never work , liked to drink a bit too much.

No one had ever done the leaving - your ma has mental issues due to the dad drinking. Your brother did time - and the only people you can hang around with have little no no ambition "because you can't get a job if your from Jobstown"

Their choices and chances of getting out of that well are very very small.

A bit easy on a forum to go - lazy ****ers , fags etc.

It is a complex cycle and very difficult to break - without additional services and support - and many of these were all removed in the last 10 years.

Those circumstances don't result in you having no "choice ".
    Everyone has a choice in Ireland today
    What we as a society have to STOP doing is patting people on the head and being patronising and condescending by saying "sorry your dad is an Alco and your mothers a waste of space, here's your dole for life with no obligations due on your behalf and now go right ahead and produce as many children as you like and we'll look after them as well ".
    That's spoon feeding and enabling and we've been doing it for too long now and as an experiment it has FAILED MISERABLY
    These people are among the most unhappy and dissatisfied YOU will ever meet
    Something has to change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

I thought it was a very good watch. The blonde lady who lost her partner and continued the boxing club was great. Inspiring even!
    Read this thread before watching and expected to be outraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

downloaded the first episode expecting to ragewatch. place and people seemed grand, there's a lot worse out there to be píssed off about. it's hardly a charmed life living in a room with your girlfriend and kid.

cool seeing McGregor roll in with his i8

No sign of Conor's Americanised accent in this :)
    But in fairness comes across a sound bloke outside the UFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Or no incentive to be ambitious. These children often don't believe they can be something in life. School plays a large part in this.

Advertisement