Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2019, 01:49   #1
riffmongous

Google search

Is it just me or has Google search on the mobile become almost unusable? First we get ads, then stories, then images, then questions, then business locations, then a handful of results, followed by similar searches and finally an option to get more results. And what I am getting for results seems to be more and more businesses. I finally got fed up and switched to duck today, it's a shame cause Google used to be great
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 01:56   #2
FanadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
Is it just me or has Google search on the mobile become almost unusable? First we get ads, then stories, then images, then questions, then business locations, then a handful of results, followed by similar searches and finally an option to get more results. And what I am getting for results seems to be more and more businesses. I finally got fed up and switched to duck today, it's a shame cause Google used to be great
Think it must be you.
I've got the latest updates for all google apps on my phone. Did a number of random searches and they all came up normal.

Maybe run a malware scan on your device?
Thanks from:
19-09-2019, 03:43   #3
Your Face

Sounds like of those fancy new WAP phones.
19-09-2019, 08:53   #4
Montage of Feck

🦆
19-09-2019, 08:56   #5
The high horse brigade

Quote:
It's just you, zero problems here. Have you location, history and other stuff disabled by any chance?
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 08:56   #6
biko
Arbiter

Duckduckgo is the way to go, even if Google works just fine on my phone without the issues you mention.
(2) thanks from:
19-09-2019, 08:57   #7
punisher5112

Sounds exactly like YouTube....
Thanks from:
19-09-2019, 09:06   #8
Gregor Samsa

I get what the OP means.

Google used to be about giving you the list of results for your search and no nonsense. Plain and simple.

Now the actual “top results” are a screen down (on a phone), past “people also searched for”, “top stories” and “people also asked...” sections.

They’re far removed from their simple and efficient beginnings.
19-09-2019, 09:08   #9
Padraig Mor

Quote:
Same here. Do a search, and the actual results are about a third of what's thrown up on your screen. Just show me what I ****ing asked for Google!
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 09:11   #10
Sonics2k

This hasn't aged well.

19-09-2019, 10:38   #11
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

I get one or two ads but that's it.

I have had cases where I'm looking for specific information about how to fix and item and it does have a tendency to mistake the word fix for buy....
Thanks from:
19-09-2019, 10:40   #12
Ger Roe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post
I get what the OP means.

Google used to be about giving you the list of results for your search and no nonsense. Plain and simple.

Now the actual “top results” are a screen down (on a phone), past “people also searched for”, “top stories” and “people also asked...” sections.

They’re far removed from their simple and efficient beginnings.
Google has become less of an actual search engine and more of a carefully targeted advertising agency. I think people who haven't noticed a change, haven't been using it for long enough to know how impartial and effective it actually used to be.
19-09-2019, 10:40   #13
JohnnyFlash

They keep having to make more money to appease shareholders and ‘the market’. Even one bad quarter is unacceptable these days. So you’ll continue to get more and more ads and sponsored listings.

Bing is better these days.
19-09-2019, 11:56   #14
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
They keep having to make more money to appease shareholders and ‘the market’. Even one bad quarter is unacceptable these days. So you’ll continue to get more and more ads and sponsored listings.

Bing is better these days.
That's the problem with the markets generally, the requirement for continual growth.
19-09-2019, 12:43   #15
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanadMan View Post
Think it must be you.
I've got the latest updates for all google apps on my phone. Did a number of random searches and they all came up normal.

Maybe run a malware scan on your device?
I'm using Chrome too, forgot to mention that

Try a search for 'friday', that's when I really noticed it. Only on the 3rd page of scroll do I get the first proper result, before that it's a load of crap about stories and TGI Fridays. I can't zoom out either without going to Desktop View, so it's lots and lots of scrolling
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion