Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Louis Theroux - Mothers on the Edge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Watched the rest of this last night and my heart was in my mouth when that lady went missing and she took all those pills. Wonder how he managed to get access like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Squatter wrote: »
    Love the way that you have already decided what your missus would say if asked that question!

I assume that you have informed her accordingly?
    I know my wife, and I know how we treat each other.

If you're in a relationship where you cannot be confident that your partner isn't worried for his/her safety in the family home then you need to ask yourself some serious questions.

It's not even that I 'know' for sure that my wife would answer no to the question. It's that I have absolutely no reason to be worried that she might say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

again, i think the point is it is one sided only, imagine if you were checking in for a routine hospital visit and someone asked you that question, about your partner

or your child visiting the doctor for a graze and they started asking them if you did it

I don't feel uncomfortable at all, it's just a waste of time

I was responding to someone who said that the question made them uncomfortable.

I have absolutely no problem with a public health nurse or GP asking every pregnant woman the same screening questions about their domestic situation because domestic violence is a real problem, and pregnant women and the developing baby and newborn babies are all extremely vulnerable to domestic abusers.

If I brought my kid to the doctor for a graze and the doctor asked me how the injury was caused, I would have absolutely no issue with telling him/her.

If the same child appeared in a doctors surgery regularly for bruises or other physical injuries that they have no good explanation for then the doctor has a duty to report his/her concerns to the social services.
    you seem very uncomfortable I must say
    I put too much hot sauce in my chilli for dinner.

There won't be a toilet safe in the house tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Yea...so the thread was about a documentary following women with post partum depression and pyschosis,not bonding with babies and driven to suicide attempts and here we are discussing how men feel at the first booking appointment.

These will be the men complaining about how tired they are as their partner struggles through a 36 hour labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Feisar wrote: »
    She's being afforded this additional duty of care not for herself but because of our child.

This is frankly weird. What do you want them to do exactly?

If you think she is drinking or not coping, couldn't - and indeed shouldn't - you contact someone without being asked?

A pregnant woman who feels under threat from her partner though may well not be able to escape from him to get help. Why would it bother you that you don't get an equal chance to complain about her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

volchitsa wrote: »
    This is frankly weird. What do you want them to do exactly?

If you think she is drinking or not coping, couldn't - and indeed shouldn't - you contact someone without being asked?

A pregnant woman who feels under threat from her partner though may well not be able to escape from him to get help. Why would it bother you that you don't get an equal chance to complain about her?

Having read through the thread, I’d imagine he’s not the least bit bothered by it. It just seems to be a disingenuous attempt to point-score about “gender equality” :rolleyes:

I haven’t seen the documentary but tbh I wouldn’t be too interested in watching it or having “conversations” about it. It’s just my own personal take on these types of documentaries but I think they exploit vulnerable people’s personal circumstances and are often more divisive than they are in any way supportive - in this particular case of women experiencing postpartum psychosis which is far more rare than postpartum depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

To answer the OPs post, the shocking thing is there are NO mother and baby units in Ireland. There are 2 psychiatrists specialized in the mental health of women during pregnancy and no psychology services specialized in the area. Think about yourself, your wife, your sister etc, and how there is nowhere for them to get support if they have a baby. As the doc very clearly conveyed, the ladies weren’t particularly disadvantaged or uniquely vulnerable. They were just people, not to dissimilar to you and I, who were caught in the eye of a perfect storm of biological and psychological stresses. I would love to see such a service lobbied for. And for those wondering if the baby is vulnerable, for the very small proportion of mothers who have thoughts about harming their baby, an even tinier percentage will act on these. The doc showed the babies sleeping in a separate room and there was no indication that the women were left alone with them. With this logic, anyone who has mental health difficulties are not safe to look after their children, which is not true.

Musefan wrote: »
    With this logic, anyone who has mental health difficulties are not safe to look after their children, which is not true.

I agree with most of your post. In fact I even agree with the above to a point. However mothers who experience mental health difficulties *can create an adverse environment for their child. So while there will be no danger of death or physical harm, the emotional impact can be great.

*I use the word "can" because I'm not for one minute suggesting all mothers who struggle with their mental health will parent in a way that prevents them from being, to borrow a phrase from DW Winnicott, "good enough".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The doc showed the babies sleeping in a separate room and there was no indication that the women were left alone with them. With this logic, anyone who has mental health difficulties are not safe to look after their children, which is not true.

It's not necessarily for the baby's safety (although for some mothers there might be an element of that alright) but also not to overwhelm the struggling mother who might reject the baby as a result. They need to develop a healthy bond in some very difficult circumstances so it all needs to be in balance. Keep them close but give them space and keep everyone safe.

There was a case in my own family when a woman experienced a traumatic birth, couldn't even look at the baby as a result; the father took care of the baby for months to help her recover and she did, but she never developed her bond with the child with some long lasting consequences for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Persepoly wrote: »
    I agree with most of your post. In fact I even agree with the above to a point. However mothers who experience mental health difficulties *can create an adverse environment for their child. So while there will be no danger of death or physical harm, the emotional impact can be great.

*I use the word "can" because I'm not for one minute suggesting all mothers who struggle with their mental health will parent in a way that prevents them from being, to borrow a phrase from DW Winnicott, "good enough".

Hence why the treatment described in the documentary included infant mental health focused approaches whereby the mum was being trained in how to respond to her baby’s needs, in order to buffer against that emotional impact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've had PND/A since the very traumatic birth of my second son in early February 2018. It's **** and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I haven't had any issues bonding with him but I had to stop breastfeeding earlier than I would have originally planned to so I could double my meds.

A certain percentage of men *do* have mental health issues following the birth of their children, it's not as high as the percentage of mothers with PND and it's obviously not hormone fuelled but it is a thing. My husband has struggled with anxiety after both births.

Haven't seen the documentary. A bit too close to home!

Hence why the treatment described in the documentary included infant mental health focused approaches whereby the mum was being trained in how to respond to her baby’s needs, in order to buffer against that emotional impact.

That's really good. The "pre-verbal" state is gaining more and more importance in the medical world. We don't remember our first weeks and months but the impact lives on and is felt.

Having read through the thread, I’d imagine he’s not the least bit bothered by it. It just seems to be a disingenuous attempt to point-score about “gender equality” :rolleyes:

I haven’t seen the documentary but tbh I wouldn’t be too interested in watching it or having “conversations” about it. It’s just my own personal take on these types of documentaries but I think they exploit vulnerable people’s personal circumstances and are often more divisive than they are in any way supportive - in this particular case of women experiencing postpartum psychosis which is far more rare than postpartum depression.

Yes I pretty much agree with all of that (there's a first!) and I also find myself rather torn about these sorts of documentaries about very ill people in general. There are so many ways that participating in a programme like this can harm them, and very few ways in which it can help them - although I suppose the informational aspect of telling people that this exists may count in its favour. And Theroux, unlike Jeremy Kyle :mad: seems to manage to be humane about/toward the people he interviews. Still there's a voyeuristic element to it.

I was also struck by his need to reassure himself that all these women did actually love their children. That was a really significant point, IMO, about how ill-at-ease society is with mothers who fail to fit into our model of motherhood,and it was barely reflected on at all. Louis Theroux could accept that they were ill, which is progress compared to how such women were treated in the past of course, but he couldn't accept the woman's own assertion that she didn't feel any love for her baby son, and couldn't allow her to say so without contradicting her. It clearly troubled him too much to just listen.

Given some of the extremists he has interviewed without ever needing to "put them right" it's really striking that he needed to do so with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If they suspect a woman is abusing drugs or alcohol they have a duty of care to report it to Túsla.
    The woman will be more closely monitored during pregnancy and her ability to care for the child will be assessed after the child is born. Home checks & family interviews will be done.
    She'll basically have social services on her back for the duration of her pregnancy, and after her child is born - its not like they don't act on it.
    A false report like that could have serious consequences for a vulnerable woman in such a situation..

You're in cloud cuckoo land Susie. Take a walk around any of the less salubrious areas of Dublin for example and see for yourself the kids being dragged up by absolute wastes of space. Drunks, junkies, recidivist criminals and so on - pure wasters. The kids don't stand a chance, and social services are certainly not riding to their rescue!

There is zero possibility of anybody causing serious trouble for anyone else by merely saying they're overly fond of the drink or something like that.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Its a system open to manipulation and abuse. A womans word should be enough, I think.

Because women are more trustworthy than men?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

volchitsa wrote: »
    Yes I pretty much agree with all of that (there's a first!) and I also find myself rather torn about these sorts of documentaries about very ill people in general. There are so many ways that participating in a programme like this can harm them, and very few ways in which it can help them - although I suppose the informational aspect of telling people that this exists may count in its favour. And Theroux, unlike Jeremy Kyle :mad: seems to manage to be humane about/toward the people he interviews. Still there's a voyeuristic element to it.

I was also struck by his need to reassure himself that all these women did actually love their children. That was a really significant point, IMO, about how ill-at-ease society is with mothers who fail to fit into our model of motherhood,and it was barely reflected on at all. Louis Theroux could accept that they were ill, which is progress compared to how such women were treated in the past of course, but he couldn't accept the woman's own assertion that she didn't feel any love for her baby son, and couldn't allow her to say so without contradicting her. It clearly troubled him too much to just listen.

Given some of the extremists he has interviewed without ever needing to "put them right" it's really striking that he needed to do so with her.

I agree with much of this . Normally I find Louis very objective and his modus operandi is to stand back and listen . But as you say he seemed to struggle with some of the truths he heard .
    It also struck me that he almost seemed to be a little patronising when he took the crying baby to comfort it . Having said all that it must be very hard to stand by and not reach out to a needy baby .
    The lady who went home to her three small children seemed to be really struggling and I thought it sweet that Louis fed the toddler for her .
    The six year old girl knew her mum was different and my heart went out to her .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

When you think about what a woman's body goes through during pregnancy, it's no surprise her physical and psychological health can be affected in such monumental ways. Depression isn't the only affect it can have either. The BBC did a really good documentary a few years ago about Post Partum Psychosis, well worth a look if you can find it.

My baby, Psychosis and me.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07187xv

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

There's a woman in my department who completed her PhD with four children. That's an inspiration to us all I think and I told her as much yesterday.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I agree with much of this . Normally I find Louis very objective and his modus operandi is to stand back and listen . But as you say he seemed to struggle with some of the truths he heard .
    It also struck me that he almost seemed to be a little patronising when he took the crying baby to comfort it . Having said all that it must be very hard to stand by and not reach out to a needy baby .
    The lady who went home to her three small children seemed to be really struggling and I thought it sweet that Louis fed the toddler for her .
    The six year old girl knew her mum was different and my heart went out to her .

Absolutely. That (presumably) natural instinct is probably why he seemed so unwilling to take the mother at her word when she said she didn't love her baby.
    We're supposedly hard wired to do react to a baby's cries. Anyone who has breastfed a baby will know particularly well how physical a reaction that is!

I suspect it's also because it's such an appalling idea: it suggests that "well if this mother doesn't love her baby, maybe lots of mothers don't - so maybe mine didn't really love me?" (NB: Not "mine" as in, "this poster's", obviously - just Louis Theroux's and potentially everyone else's! ;) )

That's why I thought that his own discomfort with that would have been worth exploring, and he did sort of mention it I think, but then quickly moved on.

And as you say, his usual technique is all about standing back, and yet thre he was unable to. He must have been aware of that reaction in him.

You're in cloud cuckoo land Susie. Take a walk around any of the less salubrious areas of Dublin for example and see for yourself the kids being dragged up by absolute wastes of space. Drunks, junkies, recidivist criminals and so on - pure wasters. The kids don't stand a chance, and social services are certainly not riding to their rescue!

There is zero possibility of anybody causing serious trouble for anyone else by merely saying they're overly fond of the drink or something like that.

My impression is that it is more about how random it is, that while you are right that many children are so badly cared for that they might well be better off in care, but when a woman comes under the notice of the authorities, then it can be very difficult for her to admit to any failings without risking setting off the trigger of removal.

There's a rather sad couple of posts on here on one of the recent pregnancy threads, where in the middle of all the happy posts, there is one expectant mum who describes her fear of not being able to look after the future baby but that she feels she can't ask for help IRL because of having had contact with Tusla over (past) issues of addiction. The reality is that she is probably not wrong - the first reaction of any social worker there is very likely to be to consider taking the children away.

Because she's an easy target, unlike, say, families where the father is dangerous and therefore scary to social workers too (I know one family where the social workers were always accompanied by the police when they visited, yet the children were left in that environment) and also because if anything did go wrong, the social worker who left the children with her would be crucified in the press. Much easier to remove them first and deal with any resulting issues after.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    There's a woman in my department who completed her PhD with four children. That's an inspiration to us all I think and I told her as much yesterday.

Without being rude what has that go to do with things?

Obviously fair play to her that is amazing.

Women suffering from PND/PNP don't choose to have it and im sure they would love to be back working and juggling kids and households but they simply cant.

Some days having a shower is an achievement and that is ok too.

Say the woman you work with is an inspiration is slightly offensive as there are women, who would love to be that capable, but down to their mental health just cant.

We cant all be superwomen.

• Advertisement

Yeh maybe , maybe not . We all struggle in our own way , maybe she had huge support , maybe her partner stayed at home . Maybe she had an au pair , maybe her kids are amazing and well balanced and there again maybe not

Equally a mother on low income who manages the daily struggle and feeds and clothes and loves her kids is just as much to be admired

Yeh maybe , maybe not . We all struggle in our own way , maybe she had huge support , maybe her partner stayed at home . Maybe she had an au pair , maybe her kids are amazing and well balanced and there again maybe not

Equally a mother on low income who manages the daily struggle and feeds and clothes and loves her kids is just as much to be admired

Exactly, there is so much pressure put on new mother's especially it's easy to see how so many struggle.

To me my child's happiness is paramount. I measure my success in that now.

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Exactly, there is so much pressure put on new mother's especially it's easy to see how so many struggle.

To me my child's happiness is paramount. I measure my success in that now.

Mine too , and they are fine , kind , hard working , caring adults and thats my claim to success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Say the woman you work with is an inspiration is slightly offensive as there are women, who would love to be that capable, but down to their mental health just cant.

It was just a remark, I don't know how you figure that it's offensive to others to give praise to someone because of an achievement like that?? Maybe she had mental health issues, marriage breakdown, sick child etc etc etc and still completed the PhD. I myself went through huge adversity while writing a thesis and am proud of myself for not throwing in the towel. I always find it as a great source of comfort and strength in the days that I'm struggling to cope to think of what I achieved in spite of everything.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    It was just a remark, I don't know how you figure that it's offensive to others to give praise to someone because of an achievement like that?? Maybe she had mental health issues, marriage breakdown, sick child etc etc etc and still completed the PhD. I myself went through huge adversity while writing a thesis and am proud of myself for not throwing in the towel. I always find it as a great source of comfort and strength in the days that I'm struggling to cope to think of what I achieved in spite of everything.

Which is why I wrote , maybe , maybe not .The info we got is she did a PhD with four kids .
    I have seen so many inspirational women who care for sick children and give up everything to care for them .So many women who have children who are totally dependent on them and still manage to smile and be the best they can be .
    Women who struggled with PND and who managed each day to put the baby first . Women who care for a disabled child and still arrive with the other three kids in the school yard all washed and fed and ready for school

So many women are an inspiration to me bu. Just simply having a PhD does not elevate anyone in my eyes . If there is more to her story well and good but all we got was she has a PhD

Lillyfae wrote: »

I get that and fair play to you also - it's not easy.

I'm also studying for a degree so im not bashing that.

I know they probably didn't mean it that way I just feel there is a lot of pressure to be superwomen and we all cant achieve that.

Any person that strive to do well for themselves and their families are inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

i think that a statement like this would make a lot of mums feel inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cozar wrote:

I know a woman that also done this, but she has a very supportive husband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I know they probably didn't mean it that way I just feel there is a lot of pressure to be superwomen and we all cant achieve that.

I bet that the woman with the PhD and 4 kids would be the last person to call herself "superwoman". Why should she be praised less just in case someone feels a bit sad that they don't have a PhD? It's just a bit flawed, those who are achieving something should apologize if someone else is unable to. Not only that, but we should pick on them too. It's a wonder more people aren't suffering from mental health issues if they have to try to ignore passive aggressive name calling for working their t*ts off for something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

cozar wrote: »

Ah, god love them!

Are you not allowed to admire anyone now in case upsets someone else or something?

Advertisement