Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

1 of 7 wrote: »
    Looks like no decision today from the GUI, It will run until tomorrow.

It is not within the remit of the GUI to make the decision. They will be advised by Sports Ireland and must follow that advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Hopefully it wont be like the last time when rugby, soccer and GAA representatives voted to close golf clubs. GUI wasnt even at the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Hopefully it wont be like the last time when rugby, soccer and GAA representatives voted to close golf clubs. GUI wasnt even at the meeting.

When did clubs close?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

benji79 wrote: »
    When did clubs close?

The first lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

newport2 wrote: »
    The first lockdown

I can’t even remember at this stage. How long was it for again? And at what stage were comps allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

benji79 wrote: »
    I can’t even remember at this stage. How long was it for again? And at what stage were comps allowed?
    Gone from 23rd March until 18th May. Comps not back until 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

First Up wrote: »
    For GAA, soccer and rugby, "elite" refers to the level of performance. Only the highest levels of those sports will allowed play and only in controlled circumstances. The equivalent in golf is the European or PGA Tour.

All of these are being facilitated for the entertainment of the audience - and the commercial rewards around which they revolve at that level.

Amateur golfers are not among the "elite" of the sport. They play for fun and nobody is watching them. Some people may be confusing high level or "elite" performance with the perception of golf as a socially elite pastime.

I don't think I got my point across as intended.

I'm not saying social or top amateur golfers are comparable to elite sports people.

Elite sports people are exempt as they don't risk infecting people through their "day job". On that basis, gaa shouldn't be allowed to proceed for me, if golf and easily social distanced sports aren't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It is not within the remit of the GUI to make the decision. They will be advised by Sports Ireland and must follow that advice.

True but as you can see from above, the gui are in talks with sports Ireland putting forward the case to keep golf open.

It seems to me that last time they had no fight, but this time around at least they appear to be trying

As mentioned by someone earlier, 5his is not just for 6 weeks now, we are probably in this for at least another year so we need to make sure the righ5 decisions are made now, because if golf gets shut down now, it will be a rolling thing for the foreseeable till we have vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Seve OB wrote: »
    True but as you can see from above, the gui are in talks with sports Ireland putting forward the case to keep golf open.

It seems to me that last time they had no fight, but this time around at least they appear to be trying

As mentioned by someone earlier, 5his is not just for 6 weeks now, we are probably in this for at least another year so we need to make sure the righ5 decisions are made now, because if golf gets shut down now, it will be a rolling thing for the foreseeable till we have vaccines

And what if we dont have vaccines like has been the case more often than not before?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    And what if we dont have vaccines like has been the case more often than not before?

Then we are all fu*’3€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭is this username available

Got notified through football club this evening that following a query to Dublin Co board they confirmed it was okay to break the 5km rule to bring children to training.

Doesn’t make sense that GAA would have a different rule for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Got notified through football club this evening that following a query to Dublin Co board they confirmed it was okay to break the 5km rule to bring children to training.

Doesn’t make sense that GAA would have a different rule for this.

I'm glad they're making a few exceptions for kids. I'm guessing that's a rule for kids training in general?

You'd feel so sorry for them in all this covid stuff. At least us adults can appreciate why we're making the sacrifices, even if they don't always agree with them.

I wonder would the gui push to allow underage comps even if it's adults aren't allowed to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

We are in very dangerous area here. Civil liberties are been eroded everyday. What do wer do when these measures do not work

There is no going back. This is new baseline. If golf is removed this country is ****ed.

Another industry along with the pub industry destroyed despite evidence suggesting both have very little impact on case numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

gypsy79 wrote: »
    We are in very dangerous area here. Civil liberties are been eroded everyday. What do wer do when these measures do not work

There is no going back. This is new baseline. If golf is removed this country is ****ed.

Another industry along with the pub industry destroyed despite evidence suggesting both have very little impact on case numbers

That’s a bit melodramatic.

There is definitely evidence of pubs and restaurants being points of transmission. There was a comparison done recently between Madrid and New York. NY had their pubs and restaurants closed and Madrid open and there was quite a striking difference in the growth rates between the two cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There is definitely evidence of pubs and restaurants being points of transmission. There was a comparison done recently between Madrid and New York. NY had their pubs and restaurants closed and Madrid open and there was quite a striking difference in the growth rates between the two cities.

And no other differences between the cultures!! That isnt very good evidence to support a claim like that

Sweden never shut restaurants and have a 14 day rate 20% of ours

They have also done some testing and believe that over 20% in their cities have antibodies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ladies can play, well some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Got that earlier... nearly had me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Hoboo wrote: »
    Ladies can play, well some of them.
    So ladies with handicaps up to 24 are considered ‘elite’? That’s certainly stretching the definition of elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Take up Gardening or Hill Walking - Cant wait to show that one to dad who is just after getting out to a 25 handicap :D

• Advertisement

And no other differences between the cultures!! That isnt very good evidence to support a claim like that

Sweden never shut restaurants and have a 14 day rate 20% of ours

They have also done some testing and believe that over 20% in their cities have antibodies
    There's a lot more to it than what I posted. I'm not going to regurgitate an entire study in a response to what was essentially a rant. It didn't deserve that. If you want to have a go at the study, look it up and email the authors with your erudite critique.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

This is completely disingenuous and ignorant. The level of transmission whilst playing golf has been non-existent I would reckon, and whilst I’m sure there has been the odd case through dining in a club bar or restaurant I would reckon the numbers could be counted on one hand.

To say that in the same breath as pubs, who have been widespread sources of both close contact and community transmission ever since they opened their doors is ludicrous. I’d love to have the pubs still open, but they are a huge risk area, and as much as I don’t want to see any pub (or any other business for that matter) close, until the numbers are under control or we have moved on from this nasty thing, they will have to remain operating on a very limited basis whenever they are permitted to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

VW 1 wrote:
    Elite sports people are exempt as they don't risk infecting people through their "day job". On that basis, gaa shouldn't be allowed to proceed for me, if golf and easily social distanced sports aren't allowed.

Elite players are few enough in numbers to allow them be tested frequently and with elaborate tracing systems.

Of course there is risk but it is considered manageable. That doesn't apply to social golf or wider participation in other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

First Up wrote: »
    Elite players are few enough in numbers to allow them be tested frequently and with elaborate tracing systems.

Of course there is risk but it is considered manageable. That doesn't apply to social golf or wider participation in other sports.

GAA isn't elite though.

Off the topic of GAA, I'm feeling confident about the decision today. As pointed out before, they must be in lengthy talks. Either that or they're biding time so they can pull the shutters before letting us know. Cross everything.

GAA isn't elite though.
    To be fair, inter-county players are at the very top of the sport. That's elite in the context of GAA sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

GAA isn't elite though.

Ya, the Dublin footballers or Tipp hurlers are average. Give any of us a jersey and a pair of boots and we’d do a job shur....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

GAA isn't elite though.

In the context of Ireland inter county GAA is most certainly elite. If 82,000 turning up for a final of a sport & 1m+ watching on TV is not enough to deem a sport as elite well i don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Who cares about GAA? Anyone got the inside line on what GUI are gonna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

Who cares about GAA? Anyone got the inside line on what GUI are gonna do?

Alot of lads here clearly do anyway. Some serious chips on shoulders by the sounds of it! Rugger folk no doubt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ya, the Dublin footballers or Tipp hurlers are average. Give any of us a jersey and a pair of boots and we’d do a job shur....

With that username I'm not sure if this is serious or not.

Advertisement