Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Unless northern Ireland starts to take it as serious as us I don't think this isolating and shut down will succeed where I am from. To many travelling to holiday homes for the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

lulu1 wrote: »
    Does anyone think we should be told what area the confirmed cases are in. I know it would make no difference

A lady posted about this on facebook last night and got terrible abuse

The state is bound by confidentiality/GDPR regs and they are necessary. The majority of people are rational, but it only takes one to stir the pot. If a general location is known you can have a name slandered, persons abused, ostracised or worse.

Assume the name is correct, and you see that person or their family walking about town, you may feel it is correct to censure them and make demands they return home. Some may go further out of fear and do things like follow them and abuse them, push them or spray them with disinfectant. People can go too far. And sometimes, that info is wrong and you harass some poor individual just looking to get a carton of milk.

I'm in Dublin, but today I was told the name of a person apparently infected with COVID-19 in Donegal. They don't have any association with that person, live near them or are likely to interact with them or their immediate family. If the name is correct, that is someones private medical info that has gotten out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Far more people have the virus than will ever be tested. Those with no symptoms or very mild symptoms are the most likely to pass it on. Stop worrying or gossiping about who is or isn’t positive or where they are. Infected people are all around you. Wash your hands and keep your distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    Well hello Donegal Forum .. Hi Muffler .. very long time no see. Nearly 8 years since my last post here. Hi new people:D

Well Donegal Town is shut, simple. All hotels & Bars are closed though I do note the absence of comment from Solis Lough Eske on their social media (you'd think there's nothing happening by their Facebook Page.) Every shop I can think of is closed, I'd imagine Timoney's (post office) will remain open in some form and the chemists. Aldi and Lidl are open but they really will need to do something about crowd control etc.

With all hotels & bars closed this basically means the town is deserted.

We'll see ye all in June or maybe July at the earliest. Stay Safe.

was in the office at 7pm last night (something wouldnt work over vpn gah !) parked right outside office in front of forget me knot now that is rare. never seen town so empty. our whole office working form home

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

was in the office at 7pm last night (something wouldnt work over vpn gah !) parked right outside office in front of forget me knot now that is rare. never seen town so empty. our whole office working form home
    Yeah, it's quite surreal. God only knows where it'll all end up.

I see NI schools will finally close from Friday, about time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Firblog

irish1967 wrote: »
    Well hello Donegal Forum .. Hi Muffler .. very long time no see. Nearly 8 years since my last post here. Hi new people:D

Well Donegal Town is shut, simple. All hotels & Bars are closed though I do note the absence of comment from Solis Lough Eske on their social media (you'd think there's nothing happening by their Facebook Page.) Every shop I can think of is closed, I'd imagine Timoney's (post office) will remain open in some form and the chemists. Aldi and Lidl are open but they really will need to do something about crowd control etc.

With all hotels & bars closed this basically means the town is deserted.

We'll see ye all in June or maybe July at the earliest. Stay Safe.

Eurosaver, €2 shop , Zombie Dolls, Complete Computing, All Sports and all Butchers were open, Dunno if any place was open beside Supervalu, prob Cara Chemist open. or was anywhere open at the SuperMacs 'plaza'?

5 new cases in the Nw today. Leo addressing the nation at 9.

5 more? Have you any link to trustworthy source for this? I'm assuming not; going by that kind of stat there must be nearly 100 cases in Donegal by now...

Firblog wrote: »
    5 more? Have you any link to trustworthy source for this? I'm assuming not; going by that kind of stat there must be nearly 100 cases in Donegal by now...

Wow. Hysteria or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

5 more? Have you any link to trustworthy source for this? I'm assuming not
    You assume wrong. It was reported on the RTE news so now I am your trustworthy source

going by that kind of stat there must be nearly 100 cases in Donegal by now...

The following is taken from here so when you're not prepared to keep up with the news then please desist with the wild speculation
    Here is a breakdown of cases per county:

Dublin - 129 cases

Cork - 48

Limerick - 14

Galway - 12

Wicklow - 9

Westmeath - 7

Waterford - 7

Kerry - 6

All other counties - excluding the three that have no cases; Leitrim, Laois, Monaghan - have fewer than 5 cases.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    You assume wrong. It was reported on the RTE news so now I am your trustworthy source

Tell me are you posting as a mod? can I argue with your post on here? Or will I bring it to pm?

Take it to PM please

On a very positive note, chefs in Donegal Town have come together to help the community here

Wow. Hysteria or what.

Not hysteria at all, just trying to show that your number were as unbelievable as mine.

You still haven't managed to post a link to where you pulled that figure from.

While the link to info Muffler posted is definitely true and very informative, it doesn't verify your claim that there were 5 new cases in the Northwest on Paddys Day.

If I may make a suggestion, if people are posting numbers on here, it might be a good idea to post a link to the trustworthy source where you read the information. :) Apologies if ppl think I'm overstepping here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

When talking about numbers, remember they are the number of confirmed cases - people who have symptoms, get tested and have a positive result. There is a time lag before the numbers appear as cases.

Most people have only mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, especially in the early stages, but can still pass on the virus. That is why it is so important to keep your distance. You can have it and not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Links are good.

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

This looks to be updating every day or every two days.

If you click on the specific day links, that will show you cases by county. (On March 19th - click on "read more" and scroll down)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Links are good.

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

This looks to be updating every day or every two days.

If you click on the specific day links, that will show you cases by county. (On March 19th - click on "read more" and scroll down)

Government cannot be trusted.

Not hysteria at all, just trying to show that your number were as unbelievable as mine.

You still haven't managed to post a link to where you pulled that figure from.

While the link to info Muffler posted is definitely true and very informative, it doesn't verify your claim that there were 5 new cases in the Northwest on Paddys Day.

If I may make a suggestion, if people are posting numbers on here, it might be a good idea to post a link to the trustworthy source where you read the information. :) Apologies if ppl think I'm overstepping here.

I think I heard it on a news channel, can't be 100% but definitely didn't make it up to scaremonger as it seems you are suggesting. If you think my number of 5 cases is nearly as unbelievable as your stated 100 cases it just makes me think you are looking for an argument.
    So let's be sensible at this time and forget about playing getting one up on another or trying to seem smarter than someone else. More serious issues facing us than bickering on a web forum.

Don2012 wrote: »
    Government cannot be trusted.
    While all posts are welcome Id like to see less of the "government bashing" type posts and more constructive / informative type posts updating us on whats happening around the county. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

just back from work in ballina, the Dunnes stores there is limiting customers to 50 in the store at anyone time.

Id imagine the dunnes in letterkenny will implement the same this weekend

• Advertisement

Passing through Ballybofey yesterday I saw a lot of people queued up at the Social Welfare office. Id say there were around 25 -30 but Im not sure of the purpose as the actual dole office is located around the corner a bit. Maybe it was people signing on the first time given the sheer numbers who lost their jobs in the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

feelpablo wrote:
    Id imagine the dunnes in letterkenny will implement the same this weekend

Was in there earlier, they had 100 people in the store with people on the door letting one person in for every person that went out. This was new Dunnes, not sure about the old one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Planes flying over Ireland today. What sense does it make telling us to stay at home etc while the borders are open and airports and docks are running as normal?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Planes flying over Ireland today. What sense does it make telling us to stay at home etc while the borders are open and airports and docks are running as normal?

Planes also carry cargo. Ireland may grow vastly more food than it eats but it doesn't grow every type; nor do we make every type of medicine, or indeed much of anything else anymore so we need cargo flights and ships to come in.

You really can't make any comparison between the need for social distancing and the absolute requirement for cargo to keep travelling.

Anyway, the number of flights globally is down over a third on this time last year and that's before the huge cuts in schedules most airlines have planned from Monday kick in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My cousin was in the states, she came back two days ago and is now self isolating for 14 days. I'm not sure if she was instructed to do this or is doing it off her own bat.

None of them over Donegal so lets stick to the local topic as advised earlier. Thanks

There's a little bit coming up now after the ad break in the RTE news about chefs in Donegal Town cooking for less well off in our community

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Great initiative, I hope people looking for freebies don't take the piss with this as there's going to be plenty where this becomes their lifeline

A domestic flight to Carrickfinn.

Some people still have actually necessary journeys to make. Do you want Bus Eireann/Feda/McGinley closed down too?

The bigger aircraft going East is a cargo plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was in there earlier, they had 100 people in the store with people on the door letting one person in for every person that went out. This was new Dunnes, not sure about the old one

Was in both about an hour ago. They each have a similar setup with signs for queuing and 1 door as entrance and 1 as exit.

Advertisement