Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you guys talk about in general life?

Options
  • 13-11-2019 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

INB4 this is the ‘4th worst thread on boards.ie’ comment.

Just curious what you talk about with other half, mates, family etc.

I just saw the thread about ‘you’ve just been kidnapped’ to me that kind of topic has always been the type you’d have online but never ever ever heard people bring up such a topic in a real life setting. If I brought up a topic like that it would be so forced and wooden, but seems like that kinda thing would be a cool conversation.

I find all my conversations to be so dull, not that I’m bored by other people, just that I bore myself(this thread for instance)

But I’d like to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Not football.

I don't talk to people in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

this is the ‘4th worst thread on boards.ie’

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I was in the Generalife in June with the other half. Despite the spectacular surroundings, what we spoke about, iirc, was changing electricity supplier.

Didn’t go to the Alhambra. Too crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Today discussed boilers, electric gates, the upcoming weather and a dead bloke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The usual shíte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

NB4 this is the ‘4th worst thread on boards.ie’ comment.

I just saw the thread about ‘you’ve just been kidnapped’ to me that kind of topic has always been the type you’d have online but never ever ever heard people bring up such a topic in a real life setting. If I brought up a topic like that it would be so forced and wooden, but seems like that kinda thing would be a cool conversation.

I find all my conversations to be so dull, not that I’m bored by other people, just that I bore myself(this thread for instance)

But I’d like to know.

Close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

TV, video games, board games, identifying who in a film we're watching has been in other films and what they were, our kids, who was a dick to us at work that day, food

Stuff like that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Today at coffee was black Friday /cyber monday possible deals and cities skylines

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Sportsball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

With my wife I can talk about anything, though I'm more than happy to mostly listen. She's so incredibly intelligent, accomplished, and wise so it's an honour to hear her wax lyrical about almost any topic. With my son we mostly talk about running. With my daughter I try to talk to her about her diet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Board games? I don't think I had that discussion since the 80's, and that was to slag off dungeons and dragons types. :D

Among my friends? Politics, history, cars, new tech, old tech, interesting books, flics, TV, web stuff we've seen, work, family, general stuff and yep things like you've just been kidnapped. And weirder...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    With my wife I can talk about anything, though I'm more than happy to mostly listen. She's so incredibly intelligent, accomplished, and wise so it's an honour to hear her wax lyrical about almost any topic. With my son we mostly talk about running. With my daughter I try to talk to her about her diet.

First half, Blergh.

Latter half, you never fail to s!it on her :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    Board games? I don't think I had that discussion since the 80's, and that was to slag off dungeons and dragons types. :D

Among my friends? Politics, history, cars, new tech, old tech, interesting books, flics, TV, web stuff we've seen, work, family, general stuff and yep things like you've just been kidnapped. And weirder...

Board games are v popular these days! We play regularly with friends + colleagues

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Woshy wrote: »
    Board games are v popular these days! We play regularly with friends + colleagues
    and that's how outa touch I am W. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

and that's how outa touch I am W. :)

We'll have to invite you to join us sometime :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

How do those convos usually go? How are you informed enough to be able to drag out such a conversation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

is_that_so wrote: »
    Today discussed boilers, electric gates, the upcoming weather and a dead bloke!

Boilers! Now we're talkin'.

latest?cb=20091223121853

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Who is dead locally and suchlike.
    I work off the assumption that you good people might not be bothered.

All the same, the LCD thing on here can be a root of many problems. Take Trump for instance. I will never meet him and could not give a monkeys about him. He can get people into a froth online. He is not what Homer composed the Iliad about really.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Who is dead locally and suchlike.

"You'll never guess who's after dying"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Was chatting with a colleague over lunch. His in laws were down so we chatted a bit about inlaws - I'm very lucky with my inlaws as they're lovely people and he has the opposite luck. His MIL sounds like a bit of a wagon so he needed a bit of a vent about that.

I'm organising a trip to an event, bite to eat and a few pints for work mates on Friday evening after work. So we chatted about that. Normal stuff.

We also chatted about mince pies and the time he got a double decker which was only a single decker. So he wrote to Cadburys and got a voucher from them.

Just the usual shyte talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

topper75 wrote: »
    ...He is not what Homer composed the Iliad about really.

I have lived in important places, times
    When great events were decided; who owned
    That half a rood of rock, a no-man’s land
    Surrounded by our pitchfork-armed claims.
    I heard the Duffys shouting ‘Damn your soul!’
    And old McCabe stripped to the waist, seen
    Step the plot defying blue cast-steel –
    ‘Here is the march along these iron stones’
    That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
    Was more important? I inclined
    To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
    Till Homer’s ghost came whispering to my mind.
    He said: I made the Iliad from such
    A local row. Gods make their own importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Chicks, football, horse racing - all the usual stuff lads talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

I think your wife has hijacked your account!

With my daughter I try to talk to her about her diet.

Your daughter must really hate you. She should anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Chicks, football, horse racing - all the usual stuff lads talk about.

What you talk about with birds

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Football , women .relations. who has died or got sick. Any gossip re riding and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

INB4 this is the ‘4th worst thread on boards.ie’ comment.

But I’d like to know.

Those are exactly the kinds of conversations I have with my family and friends. But they're intermingled with "did anything exciting happen today? Oh, the neighbour's dog came to visit, and then left again?" and "In case of a zombie attack, would you head for the attic and try wait them out, or take off across the fields?".

I think it depends on whether your friends and family are happy to go with the flow. 80% of our conversations are normal "boring" stuff. What we did today, what we need to get done tomorrow. The other 20% are random flights of fancy that people go with the flow with. My father is less inclined to follow along with the madness, preferring more factual conversations, but most other people I hang out with are happy to discuss what material would they like their pirate peg leg to be made from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Your daughter must really hate you. She should anyway.
    Of course she doesn't. Showing concern for her weight gain is no reason to be hated.

Advertisement