Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness numbers and their impact.

• 01-08-2019 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Alright, a new thread to focus on the Homelessness Numbers and looking at their impact.
    The previous threads (one, two) with the previous reports charts are locked.

These first summary charts show the trends for numbers of Adults and numbers of Familys (Adults and Children).
    They are updated with the numbers for the latest month:
    486919.png

In the previous threads last report I had just noticed:
    Slydice wrote: »
    It looks like the same numbers but the number of years are different:
    • in 3 and a bit years: Adults with Children went from around 3000 to over 6000
    • in 4 and a bit years: just Adults went from around 3000 to over 6000

This reminded me of the start of the October 2018 post:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108755665&postcount=11
    "In Europe, the rate is much lower where women typically account for between 20% and 33% of the homeless population"
    "research found that 66% of homeless families in Ireland are headed by lone parents, most of whom are women"

The Latest Report
    The Homelessness Report June 2019 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_june_2019.pdf

This is the second time I can remember all the headline numbers dropping month-on-month. The first time was last month.
    I've updated the two charts based on the totals they give.

Homelessness (Adults)
    486920.png

Family Homelessness
    486921.png

Recent Media relating to Homelessness
    The irishexaminer.com carried this headline which indicates "in relation to excessive absenteeism by children from school":
    Number of pupils missing school soar
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/number-of-pupils-missing-school-soars-936665.html
    School absenteeism cases on Tusla’s national waiting list have surged to the highest recorded level due to the rising number of homeless children, insufficient numbers of staff, and increasingly complex cases such as students with mental health issues and special needs.

Figures contained in the child and family agency’s most recently published monthly report show that in April, Tusla’s Educational Welfare Service (EWS) had 2,636 referrals on its waiting list. The figure has been climbing steadily since last October and the comparable figure from April 2018 was 1,670 cases.
    Just two data points but I've put this on a chart too:
    486922.png

This reminds me of the report mentioned previously from Goldsmiths, University of London about Childrens development in Dublin "while living in temporary hotel accommodation"
    Graham wrote: »
    Using hotels for homeless families has ‘destructive impact’ on children
    Children in emergency accommodation not developing properly, says report
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/using-hotels-for-homeless-families-has-destructive-impact-on-children-1.3921069
    More about the Report: ‘Temporary’ hotels have devastating effects on homeless families
    https://www.gold.ac.uk/news/homeless-families-hotel-impact/

Supply of homes
    The solution has always been "to increase the supply of homes". The latest report does not have commentary where previous reports did. They used to include:
    The long term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes
    or:
    The root cause of increased homelessness is the supply shortage across the housing sector, which in turn is a result of the recent economic collapse and the associated damage to the construction sector. Accordingly the long-term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

First an update of the summary charts showing the trends for numbers of Adults and numbers of Familys (Adults and Children).
    486919.png

The Latest Report
    The Homelessness Report July 2019 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homelessness_report_-_july_2019.pdf

The last two reports had the first headline numbers dropping month-on-month I could remember. This figures in this report have homelessness numbers on the rise again.

Homelessness (Adults)
    489767.png

Family Homelessness
    489768.png

I had kind of held out a bit of hope there from the last two reports :(

Quarterly report
    I'm not sure how things are going but they released a quarterly report alongside this report:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_quarterly_progress_report_-_april_to_june_2019.pdf
    It feels a bit unfinished with the blank section on "Homelessnessand Housing Inclusion Supports". I'm guessing the authors were under time pressure and ran out of time.

It has these two points:
    Note that exits include both exits from emergency accommodation and persons who have been assessed as homeless but have not entered emergency accommodation e.g. HAP preventions through homeless HAP.
    To date in 2019, 51% of families presenting to homeless services in the Dublin region were prevented from having to enter emergency accommodation.
    That sounds like they are experiencing larger numbers than are being seen coming through to the reports.

Supply of homes
    The solution has always been "to increase the supply of homes". The latest report does not have commentary where previous reports did. They used to include:
    The long term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes
    or:
    The root cause of increased homelessness is the supply shortage across the housing sector, which in turn is a result of the recent economic collapse and the associated damage to the construction sector. Accordingly the long-term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes.

From the quarterly report, it has numbers on where "exits" are going. It doesn't look like all that much of it is permanent accomodation:
    489769.png
    It looks like a like is going to the rental sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.focusireland.ie/non-irish-homelessness-dublin/

Non-nationals make up 31% of the "homeless" but the bigger picture is that out immigration numbers are still at unsustainable levels including those that are coming here for work. With the number of new arrivals to Ireland each year, the supply of homes just can't compete. The attitude that MNCs getting hurt in an international recession being good for the housing market doesn't get said too often but it really is the only thing it seems that can help the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I can see where you are coming from but skilled immigrants are still needed in some industries.

I would be familiar with the software development industry and sometimes it really is difficult to find local people with the right skillset. Often companies would prefer locals as they are seen as more likely to stay long term.

In terms of costs, it can be more expensive to hire immigrants as you may end up paying relocation fees e.g. visa costs for non EU people.

I haven't seen a situation yet where an immigrant was hired over a local as they were willing to take a lower salary. I'm sure it happens, I just haven't seen it myself.

I can see where you are coming from but skilled immigrants are still needed in some industries.

I would be familiar with the software development industry and sometimes it really is difficult to find local people with the right skillset. Often companies would prefer locals as they are seen as more likely to stay long term.

In terms of costs, it can be more expensive to hire immigrants as you may end up paying relocation fees e.g. visa costs for non EU people.

I haven't seen a situation yet where an immigrant was hired over a local as they were willing to take a lower salary. I'm sure it happens, I just haven't seen it myself.

Yeah, but it's not about Irish versus non-Irish, it's about those that are already here and trying to house them let alone the new people arriving each week to take up new jobs. The supply isn't satisfying the demand for those already here so the problem is not going to go away anytime soon unless dramatic changes happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

+1
    I recently moved department in work (large mnc) to an analytics function.
    My team is made up of two non EU/EEA individuals where the company sponsored their visas and paid relocation, and 3 Irish folks that were previously working in the industry.

I was involved in the team as the first entrant and saw first hand the difficulties in attracting local applicants that met the criteria. I imagine most skilled jobs are the same.

• Advertisement

Non-nationals make up 31% of the "homeless" but the bigger picture is that out immigration numbers are still at unsustainable levels including those that are coming here for work. With the number of new arrivals to Ireland each year, the supply of homes just can't compete. The attitude that MNCs getting hurt in an international recession being good for the housing market doesn't get said too often but it really is the only thing it seems that can help the situation.

The people coming here to work for MNCs are not the people who are homeless nor are they even renting the same types of place that those who are homeless would be even attempting to.

The people coming here to work for MNCs are not the people who are homeless nor are they even renting the same types of place that those who are homeless would be even attempting to.

Thank you captain obvious.

Are you adding clarity to what I said or what is the point of your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Old diesel

But they are still part of the demand Vs supply equation.

If they weren't here more accommodation would be available if amount of property to rent stayed.

The homeless might not literally stay in same units but people in other properties might move into where the MNC staff currently live. So property gets freed up all over.

Stopping them coming isn't the answer though .

First an update of the summary charts showing the trends for numbers of Adults and numbers of Familys (Adults and Children).
    491946.png

The Latest Report
    The Homelessness Report August 2019 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_august_2019.pdf

Two reports now with a month-on-month rise.

Homelessness (Adults)
    491947.png

Family Homelessness
    491948.png

EU - European Social Policy Network (ESPN) Report for Ireland (2019)
    The ESPN Thematic Report on National strategies to fight homelessness and housing exclusion - Ireland (2019) has also been released:
    https://ec.europa.eu/social/BlobServlet?docId=21604&langId=en

This jumped out for me:
    At present there is statistical obfuscation if not ‘corruption’.

Apart from that, the summary included points that caught my eye:
    • Homelessness as a problem is generally well recognised in Ireland
    • Housing vulnerability is much less recognised, which among other things means that prevention is not prominent in the Irish approach
    • Homelessness has long been a problem in Ireland but the numbers keep growing
    • There is a particular cast to this though in that public building is gradually being replaced by acquisition from the private sector and private accommodation is coming to replace (rather than complement) public housing in the response to homelessness and housing exclusion (HHE) and other housing-related problems.
    • exits from homelessness and HHE are fewer than the numbers entering
    • over-reliance on private-sector housing which has little security for tenants; almost complete dependence on (an under-resourced) voluntary sector for service provision;
    • Prevention is another key weakness. To rectify this means enhancing homeless and general housing support services and much stronger rent control measures as well as regulation of the private-rented housing sector with a particular focus on tenant protection and rights. The low stock and insufficient supply of social housing (currently at 8% of total stock) is another issue of concern and arguably the fundamental issue.

They use very rounded numbers but they give a perspective:
    491953.png

Media
    Looks like the cost of rent is bringing soldiers into Homelessness danger now:
    'I either have to leave the Defence Forces or stay and be homeless with my pregnant wife'
    https://www.thejournal.ie/defence-forces-housing-4822862-Sep2019/
    One officer said he returned from a UN mission in 2017 and was, at the time, renting a one-bed apartment with his wife in Dublin for €1,600. He said their landlord told them their lease was up and the rent was going up to €2,400.

He said he told his superior: “I will either have to leave the Defence Forces or stay and be homeless with my wife, who is expecting a child. That was the stark reality facing me when I returned from overseas service.”

This is a very concerning article on exploitation of people facing homelessness.
    Minister taking reports of rental sector sexual exploitation 'very seriously'
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0924/1077949-housing-exploitation-dail/
    She said she had been looking for a property for ten months and had been facing homelessness.
    testimonies from women outlined landlord behaviour including commenting on women's appearances, making inappropriate sexual comments, warning tenants not to have boyfriends and sending drunken text messages.

Supply of homes
    or:

494157.png

The Latest Report
    The Homelessness Report August 2019 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_september_20191.pdf

Two reports now with a month-on-month rise. The total is now the highest I've seen at 10,397

I've updated the two charts based on the numbers in the report.

Homelessness (Adults)
    494158.png

Family Homelessness
    494159.png

Visual analysis of Dublin
    I hadn't gotten the idea that D1, D7 and D8 provide for so many until I saw this info visual:
    https://twitter.com/RobCross247/status/1159947323868364801
    Rob Cross
    Aug 11

Yes, over time I've populated the map myself referencing data from various sources such as InsideAirbnb, the vacant site register, news articles, Universities papers, NAMA reports, EPA, Dublin planning applications, An Bord Pleanala etc. and last but not least, site inspections.

Media
    Felt like a heavy impact this month.

‘Sam’
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/10/16/sam/
    ‘Sam’, aged five, eating as he knelt on a piece of cardboard on Grafton Street last night
    494160.jpg

Homeless man, 30s, dies after being found unconscious in Dublin city centre
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/homeless-man-30s-dies-after-being-found-unconscious-in-dublin-city-centre-958457.html
    Mr Flynn added: "This can’t become normal or acceptable. The Minister must activate the cold winter initiative immediately and insure beds are available for all who want to access."

McVerry: Government’s homeless plan not working
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mcverry-governments-homeless-plan-not-working-958827.html
    It is more than three years since they introduced Rebuilding Ireland — their strategy to reduce homelessness — and virtually every single month for the last three years the number of homeless people has gone up. At what point do you say our strategy is not working? We have got to revisit it. The emperor has no clothes.

'Homeless children struggle to chew food'
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeless-children-struggle-to-chew-food-38609982.html
    "Mums and dads haven't been able to prepare proper food when they're living in hotels, so the children are still on puréed food in pouches, at two and three years of age, because it doesn't perish the same way fresh food does."

Other "basic developmental milestones are being missed" in children who have been living for long periods in emergency accommodation. Due to a lack of space, "children are finding it difficult to learn to crawl and learn to walk".

Supply of homes
    or:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Was there any reason for that child to be eating on the floor on Grafton St? Looks like a stunt tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Was there any reason for that child to be eating on the floor on Grafton St? Looks like a stunt tbh.

Where should he have eaten then? It was a soup kitchen, they don't provide you a table and chairs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think people choosing to sleep rough in order to continue consuming narcotics (versus a controlled hostel environment) is a very different issue, and I'm not sure that that any country on earth has managed to solve this.

Seems inappropriate to group this with the likes of the 5 year old kid on Grafton Street, completely different cause and circumstance.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Where should he have eaten then? It was a soup kitchen, they don't provide you a table and chairs.

There were other photos shown of him sitting on an upturned crate and one of him queuing up. Definitely set up for the greatest results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There were other photos shown of him sitting on an upturned crate and one of him queuing up. Definitely set up for the greatest results.

Some people will believe anything to appease their guilt.

I apologise for the typo in my last post which should have read 'September 2019' not 'August 2019'

496760.png

The Latest Report
    The Homelessness Report October 2019 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_october_2019.pdf

They show a month-on-month rise with the total now 10,514.

Homelessness (Adults)
    496761.png

Family Homelessness
    496762.png

I don't remember seeing numbers of babies of homeless families who were homeless when they were born before.
    Focus Ireland says significant increase in babies born into homelessness
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1117/1092457-focus-ireland-homeless-children/
    Focus Ireland currently supports 1,215 children in Dublin and 142 of these children were born into families who were homeless.

Media
    This sounds like people are going silent from fear
    Broken society: Family living in shed is a sign Dublin is teetering on the edge
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/broken-society-family-living-in-shed-is-a-sign-dublin-is-teetering-on-the-edge-38697460.html
    But there are plenty of other headlines, too, that speak of rampant homelessness corralled - if at all - by inadequate emergency accommodation.
    and
    Family support worker Amber Entwistle tells how the current housing crisis is worse than the recession for some vulnerable families.
    "Some people are ashamed to get help because they're afraid of being reported and losing their children,"

This sounded so grim on reading :( It's desperate to think of a parent committing suicide because of their homelessless.
    Children spent night alone with mother’s body in homeless accommodation
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/children-spent-night-alone-with-mother-s-body-in-homeless-accommodation-1.4101172
    Two children were alone with their mother’s body overnight and most of the following day in their homeless accommodation in south Dublin last year, it has emerged.
    and
    Mrs Connors says she thinks her daughter was found after the boy wandered out. He was seen outside the room on CCTV footage. “Someone came down to the room to see what was happening, and that’s when they found her,” she said. “There were drugs involved. I’m told there was a needle and almost all her prescription drugs were gone. It looks to us like a kind of suicide.”
    It also has signs of people going silent from fear like the previous article
    Early in 2016, when the B&B closed, the family was moved to supported accommodation in Blackrock. Visitors were not allowed.
    “She was miserable, but she didn’t want to be causing upset because it could go against her,” says Mrs Connors.

Supply of homes
    or:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the worst impact may be on young children,
    they live in a hotel room,
    there,s no space to play ,
    you only get one chance at growing up.
    when you live in a hotel you have to leave at a certain time,
    you have to come back before 11pm approx.
    its not a good environment to grow up in

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't remember seeing numbers of babies of homeless families who were homeless when they were born before.
    Focus Ireland says significant increase in babies born into homelessness
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1117/1092457-focus-ireland-homeless-children/
    Does having a child increase the single homeless persons chance of getting a council house?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There's gonna be some extremely disturbing psychological issues from these failures, and a virtually none existing mental health system to deal with it, this won't end well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

the_syco wrote: »
    Does having a child increase the single homeless persons chance of getting a council house?

That's over 10 percent, an incredible statistuc. Focus Ireland are right it is appalling but I think, for once, the government are not the right target.

Why is the parent/parents even allowing the possibility of pregnancy in those circumstances? And more importantly where are these people's families? What has happened to the family unit in Ireland?

I feel so sorry for those children, the majority have no chance

• Advertisement

Good to see the homeless family numbers coming down.

So, a drug addict overdoses and it’s the government’s fault?

WHY are babies being born into homelessness? Is THAT the government’s fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Lux23 wrote: »
    Some people will believe anything to appease their guilt.
    Sociopaths don't feel guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Which definition of 'homelessnes' do these figures cover. Are the populist definitions included or is it just strictly actual homelessness. Those figures seem high as we were on the verge of a mass emigration. E. G. Moses' exile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

cursai wrote: »
    Which definition of 'homelessnes' do these figures cover. Are the populist definitions included or is it just strictly actual homelessness. Those figures seem high as we were on the verge of a mass emigration. E. G. Moses' exile.
    What are the 'populist definitions'?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

riclad wrote: »
    I think the worst impact may be on young children,
    they live in a hotel room,
    there,s no space to play ,
    you only get one chance at growing up.
    when you live in a hotel you have to leave at a certain time,
    you have to come back before 11pm approx.
    its not a good environment to grow up in

no it's not

but yet they keep getting born into such environments

In those cases - some adult responsibility should play a part. If you choose to get pregnant in circumstances like that - you are utterly selfish.

The rule is you only get offered a house if you have 2 kids, or more.
    a parent with one child will get offered a 2 bed apartment .
    i don,t think every woman choose,s to get pregnant,
    some people get pregnant by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

riclad wrote: »
    The rule is you only get offered a house if you have 2 kids, or more.
    a parent with one child will get offered a 2 bed apartment .
    i don,t think every woman choose,s to get pregnant,
    some people get pregnant by accident.

If they are the same sex kids as in 2 boys or two girls they would still only be entitled to a two bed hence the multiple trying for the magic one boy and one girl to guarantee a 3 bed house ,

Entitlement and demand I want a 3 bed and I'm not taking anything else .

The council only build or buy, 2 bed apartments,
    or buy 3 bed house,s .
    if you are paying 300k for a house you might as well get a 3 bed .
    its simple ,have one child,you get an apartment.
    2 children or more you get a house.
    Of course it takes years to get anything,
    my friend was told you have one child,
    You,ll get offered an apartment.
    and she got a 2 bed apartment .
    it makes no economic sense fro the council to build a 2bed house.
    IF you want to be cynical about it theres no benefit to having more than 2 children if you want to get a house .
    my friend left a council apartment,
    the 2 bed apartment was vacant for 14 months before they gave it to a new tenant.
    they just painted it and put in new carpets.

498992.png

The Latest Report
    The Homelessness Report November 2019 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_november_2019.pdf

Homelessness (Adults)
    498993.png

Family Homelessness
    498994.png

This guy, Rob Cross, has recently updated his tweet about vacant sites in Dublin and the number of Homeless:
    https://twitter.com/RobCross247/status/1208899898948640768

Media
    This isn't the first medical and childhood development related impact that's been brought up. It worrying to think of the multiple issues building on top of one another.
    Rising numbers of state’s most vulnerable children being treated for morbid obesity
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rising-numbers-of-states-most-vulnerable-children-being-treated-for-morbid-obesity-972633.html
    Dr O’Malley, who also leads a research team at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, said it is extremely difficult for parents to feed their children healthy food in cramped hotel rooms with little or no cooking facilities.
    She said: “From the homelessness aspect it’s just being able to have access to cook and store food or to sit at a table together. That stability and continuity is vital to support health and development.
    “It’s much harder to have wholefoods and vegetables. If you don’t have refrigeration it’s hard to keep dairy.
    “So quick, cheap, high-calorie food makes the most sense but may provide less nutrition.
    “It’s not a parental decision not to do the right thing. This is a decision operating within the confines of restricted choice and the child’s little body reacts to this stress.”

She said the discussion needs to shift from parental blame and look at society’s role in childhood obesity.

This was an odd one. I can't remember seeing a Judge direct that papers be served on a Minister before.
    Plight facing brain damaged homeless man 'should not exist in a civilised state' says judge
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/plight-facing-brain-damaged-homeless-man-should-not-exist-in-a-civilised-state-says-judge-968704.html
    A brain-damaged homeless man has been on remand for more than a year in Mountjoy Prison’s high dependency unit despite persistent reports he is of unsound mind and needs residential care, the president of the High Court has heard.
    Mr Justice Peter Kelly, having been told a senior HSE official had cancelled a residential care plan due to "resource issues" and it was being proposed to discharge him to access homeless services, said this was a "staggering" and “truly awful situation and one that should not exist in a civilised state".
    and
    He directed that papers in the case be served on the Minister for Justice, the HSE, the Irish Prison Service and the DPP and returned the matter to next week.
    Looks like the Judge got action taken from the details from the follow-up:
    HSE to fund care place for brain-damaged homeless man who has been in Mountjoy for a year
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hse-to-fund-care-place-for-brain-damaged-homeless-man-who-has-been-in-mountjoy-for-a-year-970102.html
    The HSE has “at last” identified an appropriate place and made funding available for it, Mr Justice Peter Kelly remarked today.

It looks like the letting of children down and supply issues were acknowledged:
    State is ‘letting children down’ on housing, says Minister
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/state-is-letting-children-down-on-housing-says-minister-1.4113137
    The State is “letting children down” by having them live in emergency accommodation, Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy has said.
    Mr Murphy was updating an Oireachtas housing committee on the progress of Rebuilding Ireland, the Government’s plan for housing and homelessness, published in 2016 and branded an “abject failure” by housing campaigner Fr Peter McVerry.
    'We're letting children down' - Murphy tells committee
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/1212/1098790-housing-eoghan-murphy/
    Minister Murphy acknowledged that there were not enough homes

Supply of homes
    or:

These numbers don't sound good for the immediate future:
    34,000 new homes needed every year for next decade - Central Bank
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1210/1098192-central-bank-housing-demand/
    A study from the Central Bank has found that 34,000 new dwellings will be needed each year for the next decade to keep up with demand.
    But following the crash, house construction collapsed and between 2011 and 2014 an average of just 5,500 houses a year were built.

But the population did not stop growing during those years.

Today's study from the Central Bank found that in order for housing to have kept up with the growth in the population, around 27,000 dwellings per year would have had to be built in the past eight years from 2011 until 2019.

However, the average housing completion rate for this period was just 10,500 dwellings a year.

It was also raised recently that it may be costing taxpayers more to not new council homes than it would to.. build new council homes
    New figures show HAP will cost Government more than building new council homes
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/new-figures-show-hap-cost-17385400
    Fianna Fail TD Darragh O’Brien said the average support to tenants will cost the State more than building a new home after 21 years.

Figures given to him by from Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy shows the State will spend over €844million on rent support this year, including €423million on the HAP scheme.

For 2019, the average monthly HAP payment was €829. This was provided to 48,261 households.

The average cost of building a new two-bedroom home nationally is €213,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Supply is only one half of the problem.

The other is demand. Is there any detailed analysis of this demand is coming from.
    So these 34k houses per yr. Whats the breakdown of what they are and who will occupy them.
    How are they being paid for. Things like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement