Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think many issues this morning are down to server performance tbh, a curl to the site is taking 6 seconds at present:
    time curl -s https://www.met.ie
    real 0m6.157s
    user 0m0.012s
    sys 0m0.004s

As where a curl to the old mobile site is well under a second:
    time curl -s mobile.met.ie
    real 0m0.049s
    user 0m0.012s
    sys 0m0.000s

The old site was hosted in Ireland with Sunguard the new site is hosted in the UK with Linode, the new site is on Ubuntu and apache where the old site was on Windows and IIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Upgraded the iOS app this morning.

It's unresponsive and slow and pretty much unusable.

How can it be released in this state?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

murpho999 wrote: »

This is what I was also referring to last night, the site should still be in beta.

It's only slow since the load came on the server, there was no issues in Beta, they just need to sort hosting with more nodes added to load balancer etc. at least I hope they have in a setup that allows multiple nodes and it's not sitting on one Linode server :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

I guess we will just have to do what our parents did

Watch the weather on TV

• Advertisement

If you need to access to the old site while they iron out the performance issues with the new site it is still accessible on the old server.

You can edit your host file and point www.met.ie to 82.195.132.92

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Villain wrote: »
    It's only slow since the load came on the server, there was no issues in Beta, they just need to sort hosting with more nodes added to load balancer etc. at least I hope they have in a setup that allows multiple nodes and it's not sitting on one Linode server :eek:

Yes, but in fairness, shouldn't that be sorted before launch?

Shouldn't an app be more responsive though and just have issues obtaining data?

Yes, but in fairness, shouldn't that be sorted before launch?

Shouldn't an app be more responsive though and just have issues obtaining data?

It can be hard to simulate load testing for a public site like this and it's a complete change in infrastructure so I wouldn't go too hard on them, also often as part of a tender a web design company includes hosting and sadly many web design companies that do great web design work don't really know how to handle the infrastructure part as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

My only problem is, that it's telling me, it's cloudy and dry. here in Cork. I can tell you, its foggy and quite wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The radar has totally disappeared from the front page & when you select it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I had hoped that they might actually build a proper app, but once again it's just a hybrid html job. At least they've gone from being a decade behind the curve to just 4 or 5 years behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I don't need any sort of website to tell me about the weather right now.It is a crap dreary,cool,cloudy day here in Offaly.Where is the "mini heatwave-higher temperatures"they have been talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Radar seems to be gone altogether now. Perhaps tweaking it with improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ringroser11

Seems to me that the new website gives less info than the old one. No 3 hour, no weathermaps, no predictive animations, no rainfall radar. Poor icon based maps. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some improvements already, they've the location right at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

502 Bad Gateway now.

Edit - back again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Massive thread here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057855630

There is a rainfall radar, or should I say, there should be one. It fell off the front page this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Agricultural data report for past 7 days (10/4/18 to 17/4/18) should read 10 th to 16 th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

This should keep us going while the radar is down, make your desktop or laptop browser more elongated to see the whole page (pull in the sides)

http://m.met.ie/weather-rainfall-radar.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Does / will the new website have anything like these graphics? I can't find an isobar / pressure system chart anywhere on the new one, and only managed to get this one because it hasn't been removed from the mobile site yet:

x_ISO_TOMORROW_ATL.png?4442x_PREC_TOMORROW_ATL.png?4442

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

prefer the old one,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Put things back the way they were please

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

Whoops, looks like something went wrong. from met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The website is gone a bit wonky this afternoon. Can't access the rainfall radar at the moment as it's link take me back to the homepage. The latest reports are at 1200. It now about 1530.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Everyone just has to chill. They're clearly having teething issues with the new site and apps. They'll get there. As for those pleading for the old site to return... things have to move forward at some point. The old design was functional but dated, moving to a design that is more cross platform orientated does make sense. Hopefully they'll get it back and reliable in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Everyone just has to chill. They're clearly having teething issues with the new site and apps. They'll get there. As for those pleading for the old site to return... things have to move forward at some point. The old design was functional but dated, moving to a design that is more cross platform orientated does make sense. Hopefully they'll get it back and reliable in the next few days.

Agree totally with this, it's just the mass removal of content which is frustrating. This is the internet after all, not Aertel - why have they seemingly decided to drop almost all graphical elements and switch to a text-only format?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Would you go away with that common sense :rolleyes:

Didn't you know that all change is bad.

Personally, I like it.
    A few issue that they will no doubt fix. It is a complete overhaul afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

They should hv left both versions of site up as in when you go to site you get new one but then at top there's a message "if you prefer to use the old met site click Here"

Then warn that old site will be no longer available after 1st June or something and then they can teethe all they like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I can't find the equivalent of the old 5 day forecast where you had the map that would show you wind and rainfall, is it gone?

Advertisement