Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal Road Trip Itinerary??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

If you're based in the south west for the first few days, Ardara and Glenties are relatively close. For the next part, I'd recommend Dunfanaghy or Downings. Glenveagh will be doable from here. For Fanad, Rathmullan would be a good base, and you could then get the ferry to Buncrana. In Inishowen, consider Culdaff beach, Moville, Kinnagoe Bay etc.

Short reply, but let me know if you have any specific questions and you'll get plenty of good advice here.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you are considering Ardara/Glenties, I think it would be a good idea to go from Glencolmcille so that you can travel through the Glengesh Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Thank you both ^^ for your replies, it is much appreciated.

So if in the South West we can go to Ardara & the Glenties from there for a drive through the Glengesh Pass & take in the scenery.

Is there much to see in Ardara/Glenties if just going there for a half/full day trip?

So maybe after the south west, straight to Dunfanaghy/Downings for 3 days or so sounds good based on your feedback.

Rathmullan as a base for Fanad before heading over to Inishowen.

Along this route after the south west, is there any particular beaches, attractions, restaurants, pop up side of the road restaurants you would reccomend?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thank you both ^^ for your replies, it is much appreciated.

So if in the South West we can go to Ardara & the Glenties from there for a drive through the Glengesh Pass & take in the scenery.

Is there much to see in Ardara/Glenties if just going there for a half/full day trip?

So maybe after the south west, straight to Dunfanaghy/Downings for 3 days or so sounds good based on your feedback.

Rathmullan as a base for Fanad before heading over to Inishowen.

Along this route after the south west, is there any particular beaches, attractions, restaurants, pop up side of the road restaurants you would reccomend?

Thank you

Trá Mór near Dunfanaghy (a decent walk across dunes to an amazing beach to work up an appetite) followed by pizza and wine/beer in the Rusty Oven would be my recommendation.

Or you can do a circuit along quiet country back roads from Falcarragh to the back strand beach/Ballyness Bay, it's about 2 hrs at a leisurely pace, and fabulous.

Or Magheraroarty beach/dunes (again, about a 2 hour leisurely circuit), followed by a pint and dinner in Teach Coll at the top of the pier road (really, really good food!).

Fanad Lighthouse is worth a visit, and you can stay in the cottages on site (haven't seen the inside of them, but the location alone is amazing)

The ferry goes to Tory from Magheraroarty pier, makes for a great day trip if the weather is good.

Batch in Falcarragh is good for casual dining, brunch.

If you have two cars, the Bridle Path or the L Inshagh walk in Glenveagh are spectacular, there's a bit of logistics involved but it's stunningly beautiful - Glenveagh is one of my favourite places on earth! Try the coffee and cakes in the cafe at the walled garden, best lemon/poppy seed cake ever.

I don't know Rathmullan well, but nearby Ramelton is just gorgeous, they have a farmer's market every Saturday (I think, they certainly used to, who knows these days though), and someone does walking tours of the town/area (again, haven't done it myself but it's on my list)

There's also a walk/trail along part of the old Letterkenny-Burtonport railway line - it's quiet and low key walking, but really beautiful, out in the complete wilds of the countryside beside Muckish - runs from near Falcarragh to outside Creeslough (to do it one way, like the Glenveagh walks you'd need two cars, but you could easily do it both ways, think it's about 6km)

Oh, and Starfish Cafe in Dunfanaghy for a slap up breakfast, or a tasty lunch.

Oh, oh..... you HAVE to stop for the most scenic coffee in the entire world at the Mini Bean man at Dunlewey, overlooking the Poison Glen!
    https://m.facebook.com/TheMiniBean/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Great post Heidi

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Great post Heidi

A bit scattergun, but it's all the stuff I love doing when I'm up there.

Such a fabulous county - and that's really only one corner of it that I know - I keep meaning to get down south some time but never quite seem to manage it! Same for Inishowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Trá Mór near Dunfanaghy (a decent walk across dunes to an amazing beach to work up an appetite) followed by pizza and wine/beer in the Rusty Oven would be my recommendation.

Or you can do a circuit along quiet country back roads from Falcarragh to the back strand beach/Ballyness Bay, it's about 2 hrs at a leisurely pace, and fabulous.

Or Magheraroarty beach/dunes (again, about a 2 hour leisurely circuit), followed by a pint and dinner in Teach Coll at the top of the pier road (really, really good food!).

Fanad Lighthouse is worth a visit, and you can stay in the cottages on site (haven't seen the inside of them, but the location alone is amazing)

The ferry goes to Tory from Magheraroarty pier, makes for a great day trip if the weather is good.

Batch in Falcarragh is good for casual dining, brunch.

If you have two cars, the Bridle Path or the L Inshagh walk in Glenveagh are spectacular, there's a bit of logistics involved but it's stunningly beautiful - Glenveagh is one of my favourite places on earth! Try the coffee and cakes in the cafe at the walled garden, best lemon/poppy seed cake ever.

I don't know Rathmullan well, but nearby Ramelton is just gorgeous, they have a farmer's market every Saturday (I think, they certainly used to, who knows these days though), and someone does walking tours of the town/area (again, haven't done it myself but it's on my list)

There's also a walk/trail along part of the old Letterkenny-Burtonport railway line - it's quiet and low key walking, but really beautiful, out in the complete wilds of the countryside beside Muckish - runs from near Falcarragh to outside Creeslough (to do it one way, like the Glenveagh walks you'd need two cars, but you could easily do it both ways, think it's about 6km)

Oh, and Starfish Cafe in Dunfanaghy for a slap up breakfast, or a tasty lunch.

Oh, oh..... you HAVE to stop for the most scenic coffee in the entire world at the Mini Bean man at Dunlewey, overlooking the Poison Glen!
    https://m.facebook.com/TheMiniBean/

Wow thanks very much for this post, so much information in it. Will definitely help with the itinerary.

Scattergun approach is perfect with itinerary advice, let it all out.

Thanks again

Coincidentally, today I spotted this.....

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4240294229345287&id=893129850728425

Just in case it happened to suit.......

(I just want to stay there myself, really!!)

Any questions, or if you want any further info on any of my ramblings (like proper directions, maybe), feel free to ask or PM

Another one that's just popped into my head is Ards Forest Park near Creeslough. It's a fiver (in coins, machine is unmanned) to bring the car in, or a very long walk from the road to the park bit, but there are three or four marked trails of varying lengths, and the beaches at the end of the park looking across to Downings are just utterly magnificent. There's a little coffee hut in the car park, again I've no idea if it's open these days or not. Absolutely well worth a half day visit if you're nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Just back from 2 nights in Dungloe & 2 nights in Dunfanaghy. Dungloe was a good base for Glenveagh/Errigal, and suited us as we wanted to visit Gweedore as well, but I would say Dunfanaghy had a bit more of a buzz if you had to pick between the two.

We did the Glenveagh lakeside walk to the castle one day, it was lovely. Would definitely recommend at least driving around the Errigal/Poisoned Glen/Dunlewey area, it's beautiful. Unfortunately we missed the Mini Bean coffee! We climbed Errigal one day, took about 2.5 hours and we were pretty wiped out for the rest of the day (not experienced mountain climbers). But the views from the top were more than worth it, amazing! The scenic drive from Gweedore to Dunfanaghy (Bloody Foreland area) was beautiful. I think we took the R257 and had to stop a few times to take it in. From Dunfanaghy we also drove the Horn Head loop (short drive), it was gorgeous.

Second the recommendations for Batch in Falcarragh and Rusty Oven in Dunfanaghy (Patsy Dan's pub is serving the Rusty Oven pizza as well which is handy).

There's so much more I would have liked to do - will be coming back to Heidi's post for the next time we're up :)

Advertisement